What would u do if you were me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

poc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am going through a little dillema. I am missing few prerequisites to apply to Optometry, and I am using this year to complete the courses. Despite the fact that I would like to stick with a full-time student status, I have to pick an extra course:

Statistics (First year undergraduate level class)
OR
Pharmacodynamics of the drugs (graduate level class)

I feel like going for a graduate level class, but I had second thoughts of retaking the statistics class in which I didn't do so well in.

What is the best strategy, to take a hard class in which I can excel at or retake a course to demonstrate that I can do a lot better than the first time? Either way, it could be a win-win situation... no? What do u say?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Try taking an upper divison stats class. For instance, my school has biometry, which is an upper div. bio stats class. That way, it'll show you can handle statistics and a higher level class.

In my opinion, you should take the harder class. Retaking a class and doing well in it doesn't prove as much because it should be easier the second time, because you have seen all of the material before. Taking a harder class, particularly a graduate class, will show that you have matured and can take on a challenge and succeed. Plus, Pharmacodynamics may prove to be slightly useful for at least a test question or two in optometry school.

Good luck in whatever you decide...
PGE:luck: :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought about it again and again. Right, taking a graduate level class should definitely be an asset for me if I can do well in it. (but it is definitely a challenge- see below). I need to think over because my personal statement still needs a bit of work, and i want to focus on my OAT...

hey!! Thank you for your opinion, I really appreciate it.

I need to share this thought for whoever that will read this.
I am stressed out of my mind. I have studied in French for my entire life, except for the last 5 years. Then, today, I attended my first 3 hours class in Pharmacodynamics in a FRENCH University and oh my goodness... pressure is on, all the scientific terms that I previously learned needed to be converted from English to French...( except for the common terms, adrenaline/noradrenaline. Ach, but Oh man... ) this is stressful because the course is going at such a high speed... bouh!

I need to share this thought for whoever that will read this. I am stressed out of my mind. I have studied in French for my entire life, except for the last 5 years. Then, today, I attended my first 3 hours class in Pharmacodynamics in a FRENCH University and oh my goodness... pressure is on, all the scientific terms that I previously learned needed to be converted from English to French...( except for the common terms, adrenaline/noradrenaline. Ach, but Oh man... ) this is stressful because the course is going at such a high speed... bouh!

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Egads man (or woman)!!! You didn't mention the class was in French... and you are a native English speaker? You must be a masochist!!!

Statistics (First year undergraduate level class)
OR
Pharmacodynamics of the drugs (graduate level class)

If you were a pharmacy student, I'd tell you to take Pharmacodynamics. But since you are not, take the Statistics class - it is much more useful.

Graduate level Pharmacokinetics and Pharmacodynamics classes not worth taking unless you are going to do research related to them. They've very dense and dry subjects, and you need to be very conceptually deft to do well in them. In other words, unless you are going for a PhD in pharmacology, then you take those classes.

If you were a pharmacy student, I'd tell you to take Pharmacodynamics. But since you are not, take the Statistics class - it is much more useful.

I can't help to say that you are right about NOT taking the Pharmacodynamics class. I have been thinking about the possibility of acing the class, as it is soooo time consuming. I have been studying this course and reviewing the General Pharmacology material I learned previously last night. Ugh.

:cool: then I am thinking that I should really follow my OAT studying schedule and ace in that one instead...

:eek: lol... Pharmacy is not for me, it doesn't seem to come natural to me. Total respect for those are going after a Pharm.D!!!

I'm guessing French Canadian.

100% for cpw!!!

I am French Canadian... I am fluent in English and in French (as well as in Chinese... ;) ). *wink I will be taking an Spanish class for the heck of it...

I can't help to say that you are right about NOT taking the Pharmacodynamics class. I have been thinking about the possibility of acing the class, as it is soooo time consuming. I have been studying this course and reviewing the General Pharmacology material I learned previously last night. Ugh.

Learning Pharmacodynamics is pointless, utterly pointless unless you're going to be doing a Phd in Pharmaceutical Science that has PK/PD oriented research. It's a highly specialized research niche, which if you get into, pays well but I believe is really challenging. You have to be able to juggle (and juggle WELL I might add) concepts from biochemistry, physiology, and math at the same time.

It's not everybodys cup of tea.

Just take whichever course you're most interested in