What would you do? Good Case (Part 3--Final)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What did you think of the case?

• Good Case

Votes: 14 82.4%
  • It was okay, but I think it was mismanaged

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Why the hell did you waste 3 threads on this...

Votes: 3 17.6%

• Total voters

waterski232002

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The working diagnosis was Massive PE, with concerns for AAA vs AD given the acute onset of symptoms, severity of illness, and vague epigastric abdominal pain (non-lateralizing pleuritic pain). TPA was considered from the begining, but with an equivocal Echo, and good response to IVF, it was felt that the patient was much more stable, and we could wait for more appropriate testing. A CT Chest/Abdo/Pelvis Non-contrast was obtained, showing no AAA, no retroperitoneal bleed, and a narrow mediastinum (although can't really comment on presence or absence of AD). There was also a moderate hiatal hernia and hilar lymph nodes which were visualized on the CT which were felt to be responsible for the "effusion" and "moderately widened mediastinum" seen on the previous portable CXR.

Repeat vitals on return from CT were 105/75, 105, 20, 98% 6L NC. The patient was started on a heparin gtt, received his 2 units pRBCs, and admitted to the MICU for suspected massive PE. He remained stable.

The following day, the patient received an IVC filter courtesy of IR. He went for V/Q scan 2 days later which was read as high-probability.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks, it was an interesting case. I would have still been scared to anti-coagulate him without greater assurance there wasn't a dissection, but I guess that's why I'll be an intern this year. :p

Members don't see this ad :)
I read the initial case and knew it was a massive PE. If you werent from Chicago I would ask which one of my fellow residents you were as I had this same pt with almost the exact same presentation in my ED a few weeks ago...however, he waited 8hrs to come in and died despite getting tPA early (never got to the scanner). :( Yes, the ME report showed a massive PE as the culprit.

I read the initial case and knew it was a massive PE. If you werent from Chicago I would ask which one of my fellow residents you were as I had this same pt with almost the exact same presentation in my ED a few weeks ago...however, he waited 8hrs to come in and died despite getting tPA early (never got to the scanner). :( Yes, the ME report showed a massive PE as the culprit.
The studies are mixed whether TPA actually provides a mortality benefit to patients. There are a few studies that suggest no 30 day, 90 day, or 1 year mortality differences in those that receive TPA, and one that suggests a worse mortality rate.

The studies are mixed whether TPA actually provides a mortality benefit to patients. There are a few studies that suggest no 30 day, 90 day, or 1 year mortality differences in those that receive TPA, and one that suggests a worse mortality rate.

Would a study prevent you from trying it if that was your father lying there? :confused::(

The interesting thing is that I really wanted to give this guy tPA. If I would have given it to him and he died, then I would have proclaimed "he would have died anyways". If I would have given it to him and he did well, I would have proclaimed "the tPA saved him". Now looking at the case retrospectively, I can say that tPA could have only done harm. Of course, this is the luxury of the retrospectoscope!