What would you do? I need advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hazelmoo

Class of 2020!
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I have a problem and I haven't really been able to get any non-biased advice, even from my advisor. I am currently a 5th year senior at a university, and I'm graduating in May (planning on attending vet school in the fall of 2016). I'm taking 16 hours of mostly upper level biology and zoology classes, and I'm also taking calculus. Calculus is not a part of my degree plan, so I don't need it to graduate. I took precalc last semester and made an A without really learning much, I tried but still got 60s-70s on most of the exams. The whole class did really bad so he ended up curving so much that I got an A. Anyways, I'm taking calculus this semester and I don't know whether I should stay in it or not. The only reason I am taking it is because it is required as a prerequisite for vet school at UF. The problem is, I'm not sure whether I have much of a chance at UF anyways because I'm out of state and my stats are below average. I've already gotten accepted into one vet school that I really like, and I applied to 4 others, so I know I'm going to go to school somewhere... But idk what to do about this class. I've put in a ton of time trying to learn it all, and still miserably failed the first test.
If I drop the class, and find out that I get in to UF (and decide to go there since it's always been my top choice) I will be stuck trying to take calculus over the summer somewhere next year after I graduate. But, if I don't drop it and don't get in, I will have taken it for no reason and sacrificed better grades in my other classes just trying to stay at a C average in calculus (pretty much shooting my GPA). It's a gamble, and I really don't know what to do.. I'm not good at math, and everyone in my class are freshman engineering majors and doing way better than I am. I feel like an idiot for not understanding. But the ultimate issue is that I can't decide whether I should drop or not. What would you do?
Please help! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I would call UF and ask them if they accept an online credit for Calc. If they do ask if they have a preference on where you take it. Then if taking it online is an option drop the class. If you move forward in the application process with UF you can add it for the spring semester. I am unsure if you could take it in the summer as most DVM programs require you to be done with the pre-reqs following spring semester.

Reactions: 1 user
I am unsure if you could take it in the summer as most DVM programs require you to be done with the pre-reqs following spring semester.
Crap, I didn't think about that... I called but got forwarded to an answering machine. I will try again later. Thank you!! The reason I am taking it this semester instead of next semester is because I am taking cell bio next semester (they only have it in the spring), and that is going to be hard enough as it is without trying to juggle 3 other sciences plus math... thank you for your advice though!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Crap, I didn't think about that... I called but got forwarded to an answering machine. I will try again later. Thank you!! The reason I am taking it this semester instead of next semester is because I am taking cell bio next semester (they only have it in the spring), and that is going to be hard enough as it is without trying to juggle 3 other sciences plus math... thank you for your advise though!

Depending on if they allow you to take it online... You might be able to take a self paced course and start once the semester ends the first of Dec then you would have at least a month to get ahead :) Ask them about UC Berkley Extension... That is what MSU recommends for online courses

I second LuckySpartan. I don't think it's worth it to let your other grades tank for calc for one school, especially if you think you'll only get a C-ish. Although I understand that UF is your top choice, I think it isn't worth the risk as you've been accepted elsewhere (nicely done, by the way!). If UF lets you take calc online over the summer, that would be cool. If not, I would go with Midwestern or wherever else you get accepted.

Thank you both so much!! Deep down, that's what I think too.. I really liked Midwestern. And I've always loved UF.. They just make it so hard for out of state applicants :( and calculus sucks!

As far as I know the only prereqs that UF lets you take over the summer before matriculation are intro to animal science and animal nutrition. If it were me, I wold probably drop the class and focus on your other classes.

Okay, so I have a problem and I haven't really been able to get any non-biased advice, even from my advisor. I am currently a 5th year senior at a university, and I'm graduating in May (planning on attending vet school in the fall of 2016). I'm taking 16 hours of mostly upper level biology and zoology classes, and I'm also taking calculus. Calculus is not a part of my degree plan, so I don't need it to graduate. I took precalc last semester and made an A without really learning much, I tried but still got 60s-70s on most of the exams. The whole class did really bad so he ended up curving so much that I got an A. Anyways, I'm taking calculus this semester and I don't know whether I should stay in it or not. The only reason I am taking it is because it is required as a prerequisite for vet school at UF. The problem is, I'm not sure whether I have much of a chance at UF anyways because I'm out of state and my stats are below average. I've already gotten accepted into one vet school that I really like, and I applied to 4 others, so I know I'm going to go to school somewhere... But idk what to do about this class. I've put in a ton of time trying to learn it all, and still miserably failed the first test.
If I drop the class, and find out that I get in to UF (and decide to go there since it's always been my top choice) I will be stuck trying to take calculus over the summer somewhere next year after I graduate. But, if I don't drop it and don't get in, I will have taken it for no reason and sacrificed better grades in my other classes just trying to stay at a C average in calculus (pretty much shooting my GPA). It's a gamble, and I really don't know what to do.. I'm not good at math, and everyone in my class are freshman engineering majors and doing way better than I am. I feel like an idiot for not understanding. But the ultimate issue is that I can't decide whether I should drop or not. What would you do?
Please help! Thank you!
What WZ said..waiting to take it later might end up screwing you over. I'd talk to my professor first and foremost and see what my options are and if he/she has any ideas on what I could do to improve. FYI, I was accepted to UF with only a survey calc course. There is some flexibility with that requirement (assuming they didn't change the pre-req from last year). Have you asked to make sure precalc wouldn't count for that prereq?

If it doesn't meet the requirement and your professor doesn't think you can at least hit a B, I'd consider dropping it. If UF is somewhere you really want to go, that changes things a bit.

Thanks for the info pinkpuppy! I'll call them again tomorrow!

Thanks for the info pinkpuppy! I'll call them again tomorrow!

If your chances are small for UF, and you are already in at a school you would attend, why bother stressing yourself out?

Calculus is NOT going to help you in vet school.

As far as hurting your GPA, I don't think that matters too much at this point, although schools can and do sometimes look at your first semester grades.

If you can find a cc somewhere to take this you might be better off. Look for a class that is not geared toward the hard science/engineering types. Some schools offer calc for health professionals, others offer calc for biz students etc. Those are much better options.

Those engineering calc courses are important for those engineering types not vets.

Reactions: 2 users
Okay awesome. Thank you SOV!!

This is why I wish 2 semesters of calculus wasn't part of my degree plan. If you don't need it, don't do it!!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I got ahold of them. The guy I talked to told me that the only classes that can be taken over the summer are animal science classes and animal nutrition (UGH).. and I CAN take it online if I want, but I have to get it approved by them first. I am going to send an email and see if my precalculus prereq counts but I doubt it will. I am just so scared that for whatever miracle I will get it, but then I won't be able to go because of this one class. But even if I did get in, idk if I would go there. It's just all so uncertain. Thanks again everyone!

I emailed UF. They are not doing prerequisite verification at the moment because of how busy they are. I also talked to my professor. I can still make a B in the class if I make at least a B on the 2 remaining tests and the final. I think it's doable, but I would have to sacrifice my grades in my other classes due to how much I would be studying. I don't know... I'm leaning towards dropping but it makes me sooo sad because I won't have a chance and I'll never know about UF.

I emailed UF. They are not doing prerequisite verification at the moment because of how busy they are. I also talked to my professor. I can still make a B in the class if I make at least a B on the 2 remaining tests and the final. I think it's doable, but I would have to sacrifice my grades in my other classes due to how much I would be studying. I don't know... I'm leaning towards dropping but it makes me sooo sad because I won't have a chance and I'll never know about UF.

Remember worst case you can take it online in the spring!

That's true. My life is going to be extremely difficult this spring though. Cell bio plus 3 senior level zoology classes. What was I thinking. Thank you so much for your advice!!

When does UF give a decision? If you drop it now and If they give you an interview decision in December, like most schools, then you'll know if you even need to bother taking it in the Spring! If you don't get an interview, don't worry about taking it at all. If you do get an invite, then awesome-- Take it online in the spring! Good thing about Spring semester is your grades don't have to be quite as stellar because you are already in. Just another idea :)

What about starting an online course over winter break? If you don't want to wait until UF gives a decision, and you still want to have your best chances for them. I know it sucks, but then you might almost be done by the time your spring semester science courses start getting really difficult. Also, yay Midwestern! Congrats!

I dropped that S*** like a hot potato. At this point, I don't know what to do about UF. I might look into taking calculus over winter break online but honestly at this point I am just ready to excel in my other classes and forget about calculus. I love UF but it's not worth killing myself over! I am NOT a math person unfortunately :(

I dropped that S*** like a hot potato. At this point, I don't know what to do about UF. I might look into taking calculus over winter break online but honestly at this point I am just ready to excel in my other classes and forget about calculus. I love UF but it's not worth killing myself over! I am NOT a math person unfortunately :(

There is nothing wrong with not being a math person. You excel in other things. :) Glad you dropped and can get that stress out of your life! You got into vet school!

When does UF give a decision? If you drop it now and If they give you an interview decision in December, like most schools, then you'll know if you even need to bother taking it in the Spring! If you don't get an interview, don't worry about taking it at all. If you do get an invite, then awesome-- Take it online in the spring! Good thing about Spring semester is your grades don't have to be quite as stellar because you are already in. Just another idea :)
Last cycle, my interview invite came in late January/early February, unfortunately. Just see what happens. There may be an online calc course somewhere that you can jump into if you get an invite