What would you do if you got fired tomorrow?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I would like to take a few months off and travel.

What I would really do: I'm going to cry probably for 5 minutes because I am a little bi***. I'm going to spend a couple days in bed and really think over what happened, what I should have done, what I shouldn't have done, etc. After the shock of being fired goes away, now that's the time when I start making moves. The first thing I am going to do make sure I can pay my bills. I saved enough money for a few rainy day funds. I want to make sure my mortgage gets paid without missing a single payment, and all my other bills get paid on time. I'm going to go down my contacts list on my phone and call all my pharmacy contacts and let them know I am going to be available for work immediately. I'll probably work at a few independents until the major company job comes into play.

When the independent I worked for closed last year, I took 2 months off from real work. I would work at different independents a few days a week and have time off to do whatever I wanted. That was the best 2 months of my life.

Wrong wrong wrong! You file for unemployment first!!! LOL, just bringing a little humor here. But, yes, that's your money. You've paid into the system and when you're out of work that will take care of a good number of bills.

Members don't see this ad.

Assuming you could get a job as a professor with a revoked pharmacy license? Really? Maybe at one of the pop-up diploma mills.

So most pharmacists whose licenses get revoked basically have to go back to working minimum-wage "college student"-type jobs? And that's it?

So most pharmacists whose licenses get revoked basically have to go back to working minimum-wage "college student"-type jobs? And that's it?

Not at all. Every board of pharmacy has a process and just like they revoke your license they also tell you what they expect of you to have it reinstated. It's spelled out. Unless you went all Jeffrey Dahmer on your patients they will outline what is expected of you.

Members don't see this ad :)

So you're in stage 1 of grief? Denial? It's not too late to leave at this part of the game. You haven't even started pharmacy school yet!

Retail pharmacy is no longer a fall back for anyone. Still don't understand why this attitude of 'I can always go work for Merlo' is so rampant. It takes a whole lot of luck to end up in a position full of misery that at least pays well, for now.

I wouldn't want to be a teacher (and am probably not cut out for it) either, but if I was a pharmacist who ended up losing his license, I would definitely rather teach at a university and make at least $40k plus benefits instead of relegating myself to working minimum wage dead-end jobs.

Lost your license? We don't want you teaching!!

Reactions: 1 user
Wrong wrong wrong! You file for unemployment first!!! LOL, just bringing a little humor here. But, yes, that's your money. You've paid into the system and when you're out of work that will take care of a good number of bills.

You are absolutely right. File for unemployment. That is if you got fired for reasons that are within the scope of receiving unemployment benefits. Whether it is or it isn't, you still file anyway.

I would like to take a few months off and travel.

What I would really do: I'm going to cry probably for 5 minutes because I am a little bi***. I'm going to spend a couple days in bed and really think over what happened, what I should have done, what I shouldn't have done, etc. After the shock of being fired goes away, now that's the time when I start making moves. The first thing I am going to do make sure I can pay my bills. I saved enough money for a few rainy day funds. I want to make sure my mortgage gets paid without missing a single payment, and all my other bills get paid on time. I'm going to go down my contacts list on my phone and call all my pharmacy contacts and let them know I am going to be available for work immediately. I'll probably work at a few independents until the major company job comes into play.

When the independent I worked for closed last year, I took 2 months off from real work. I would work at different independents a few days a week and have time off to do whatever I wanted. That was the best 2 months of my life.

What happened? It wasn't too long ago when you were making bank. Looking back now, any lessons for us?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

You are absolutely right. File for unemployment. That is if you got fired for reasons that are within the scope of receiving unemployment benefits. Whether it is or it isn't, you still file anyway.

While that's true on paper, it is your word against theirs. Odds are in your favor, I'd say.

A person who has done something to get their license revoked, regardless of what that license is, is not going to be in a situation where they can get a "good" job, as some people define it.

Do you have any idea how reprehensible an act a person has to commit to have their license revoked? Not a small percentage of them end up in jail, and quite a few of them don't live all that long afterwards either.

That's when I thank god I did dual majored in undergrad and worked for Pfizer as a medicinal chemist. Completing a BS degree is a safety net. Might not make you 6 figures, but earning a middle class living isn't a problem. (unless it's in something like art history, LOL).

Same here.... I'd either find a way back into finance, or use my degree and work for big pharma in manufacturing or something. If I can't dispense drugs, might as well make them! Haha

Rank 3 countries you would go to. Haha

Let's see, since I can't be extradited for a civil matter (walking away from debt), it would be

1) Canada
2) UK
3) South Korea (really for the food)

Honestly I can probably just hide out inside the US and not be found. The whole point is avoid service of process until statute of limitations expires, and most banks will just write off $100,000 and not litigate. Just a thought.

I'm currently living with my parents right now. by choice though because i brought a condo earlier this year and am currently renting it out. My parents say they will retire soon and when they do, they will pass the house to me and spend retirement in another country . The house is in Long Island and worth around a million( and still appreciating). If I have my job then, i will live lavishly in the burbs. if I don't, i will probably either sell the long island house, or rent it out (my neighbor is currently renting for 5000 per month) and live in my condo in queens. also try to get unemployment and pick up any per diem shift i can find of course :)

Let's see, since I can't be extradited for a civil matter (walking away from debt), it would be

1) Canada
2) UK
3) South Korea (really for the food)

Honestly I can probably just hide out inside the US and not be found. The whole point is avoid service of process until statute of limitations expires, and most banks will just write off $100,000 and not litigate. Just a thought.

Good choices you listed there. I would probably head to Latin America and teach pharmacology at a pharmacy or medical school and I'd open an online pharmacy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good choices you listed there. I would probably head to Latin America and teach pharmacology at a pharmacy or medical school and I'd open an online pharmacy.
Oh, that's not a bad idea. I could get pharmacology or something like that at a second rate Caribbean medical school! I always wanted to live on the islands.

Extraordinarily pissed due to being a few days away from completing a PGY1

Oh, that's not a bad idea. I could get pharmacology or something like that at a second rate Caribbean medical school! I always wanted to live on the islands.

I would probably jump on any opportunity to teach at medical school/university in South East Asia. I ran into a couple of episodes on youtube of House Hunters International in Thailand and Malaysia and our dollars go a very long way there. Ha, I may not have to wait until I reach full retirement age to skedaddle.

Well, if you want to pick up language skills for watching anime and can live with $67k (that with the pay reimbursements for housing, food, and such offset more than 100% of the taxes you pay to IRS) within JP distance of Tokyo, consider: https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/442595600/. Some of my friends did that in their younger lives, and had a blast. The current civilian chief there (a 14) was an upperclassman who went there a year before I graduated and went native.

I'm leaning towards there just not being enough jobs in the future. We keep finding new and better ways to reduce the burden of the pharmacist under the guise of freeing them up for clinical duties, but I feel like this is just a Trojan horse to eventually slash the workforce.

Tech-check-tech removes the need for a pharmacist to actually inspect products leaving the pharmacy. Programs like DoseEdge allow for remote IV verification, again pulling a pharmacist out of the IV room. A decent EMR can streamline medication ordering and greatly reduce the time and number of pharmacists required to handle a given patient load.

Ok, so you've found a way to basically pull all but the legally required minimum number of pharmacists out of the pharmacy so that they can practice clinical pharmacy on the floors. Great, everyone thinks this is awesome. They are living their pharmacy school dream. What happens when the hospital has financial problems? Massive budget cuts? These ancillary pharmacists are now just a bonus and are not necessary. Hospital administrators will slash and burn these positions once they realize how lean they can run the pharmacy.

The above scenario is why I feel much more comfortable with a hybrid clinical staffing model. You still get to make your clinical interventions and hopefully work in an area that interests you, but it keeps you rotating through the central pharmacy. You do a little bit of everything and end up developing a broader skill set.

It's also a big reason why I have moved away from clinical pharmacy towards informatics. I really feel like that will be a long-term secure position for the future. I still maintain a per diem on the side to keep my inpatient skills fresh in case provider status comes true and transforms the nature of pharmacy, but I won't be holding my breath on that.

It's still surprises me a bit how people don't understand this. Time to turn my prescience into money

Well, if you want to pick up language skills for watching anime and can live with $67k (that with the pay reimbursements for housing, food, and such offset more than 100% of the taxes you pay to IRS) within JP distance of Tokyo, consider: https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/442595600/. Some of my friends did that in their younger lives, and had a blast. The current civilian chief there (a 14) was an upperclassman who went there a year before I graduated and went native.

Hmmm... hadn't considered that. Thanks!

Let's curve the question because "find another job" is too easy. What would you do if your pharmacy license was revoked?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

The two pharmacists I've known personally who had their licenses revoked had a LOT of lead time between the commission of the offense and actual revocation - two years in one case, four years in the other. I know that one works in a restaurant; IDK what the other one does, although it's also doubtful that he's earning more than minimum wage either because I'm pretty sure he has fairly severe Asperger's.

If you don't mind sharing... how did they lose their license? I've only known 2 who lost theirs and both were drug diversion but outside of theft/DUI how common is it to lose you license?

If you don't mind sharing... how did they lose their license? I've only known 2 who lost theirs and both were drug diversion but outside of theft/DUI how common is it to lose you license?

Mr. Probably Has Asperger's was pulled over for driving erratically, and had several dozen stock bottles strewn throughout his car. Not all of them were drugs of abuse, but most were.

The other was caught stealing BZDs on a security camera that she knew was there. :rolleyes: :wideyed: I wasn't all that surprised that she was fired (for other reasons) but quite shocked to find out that she lost her license, and why. We all felt terrible that this had happened to her, because while she may not have been the best pharmacist, she was a nice person. She has since made some other unrelated changes in her life, and I hope she's happy and doing well.

The strangest one I know of (I didn't know him but I knew some people who did) was a man who was arrested, and his license suspended although not revoked, for exposing himself to women in the parking lot of the store where he worked. :wow: Why, yes, he did work at Walgreens; why do you ask? You'd think he could at least have gone across the street to CVS or something.

Mr. Probably Has Asperger's was pulled over for driving erratically, and had several dozen stock bottles strewn throughout his car. Not all of them were drugs of abuse, but most were.

The other was caught stealing BZDs on a security camera that she knew was there. :rolleyes: :wideyed: I wasn't all that surprised that she was fired (for other reasons) but quite shocked to find out that she lost her license, and why. We all felt terrible that this had happened to her, because while she may not have been the best pharmacist, she was a nice person. She has since made some other unrelated changes in her life, and I hope she's happy and doing well.

The strangest one I know of (I didn't know him but I knew some people who did) was a man who was arrested, and his license suspended although not revoked, for exposing himself to women in the parking lot of the store where he worked. :wow: Why, yes, he did work at Walgreens; why do you ask? You'd think he could at least have gone across the street to CVS or something.

That last one is really odd... all of the ones that I've heard of had to do with diversion.

In most states, you cannot have a professional license, not even a barber or beautician, if you have been convicted of a felony. It's not always a lifelong ban, but it too has various conditions before you can get or restore your license.