What would you do with a 1 year break in training?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DeadCactus

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Random Question: You have one year of GME down and thus a medical license. You have a year off while you apply to EM residency. What would you do with it?

Members don't see this ad.

Random Question: You have one year of GME down and thus a medical license. You have a year off while you apply to EM residency. What would you do with it?

If this is a real question, in the sense that you are asking for advice on what to do, you need to do anything you can to be in a prelim program.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Need more info.
If you did a prelim and are now not matched to anything for the coming year, EM probably isn't going to happen.
If the situation is otherwise, provide info and you may get some useful advice.

Also, not all states will grant a medical license (unrestricted) after one year of training.

Reactions: 1 users
Person is currently in a different specialty wanting to switch to EM. Missed the match this year. Should be a competitive EM applicant. They're considering taking the year they apply off rather than continuing in their current program. No drama, performance issues, etc in the current program just looking to switch specialties.

Not quite sure how to approach this one. Did this person already talk to his program director about switching and getting a letter? How long is residency and why couldn't he finish this one before applying? Did he make his intention known to the EM PD? Here are some ideas:

Continue GME for this coming year.
Do a research year in the EM program he wants to match into.

Reactions: 1 user
Person is currently in a different specialty wanting to switch to EM. Missed the match this year. Should be a competitive EM applicant. They're considering taking the year they apply off rather than continuing in their current program. No drama, performance issues, etc in the current program just looking to switch specialties.

Did this person apply to EM initially and fail to match? If it was me I would continue the program as it's not guarantee to match EM for anyone. Does his program have an EM residency that he might be able to squeeze into ?

I wouldn't take a year off.
My advice would vary depending on the current training program.
If it was a 3 year program (IM, FM, Peds) I would finish out the training and apply in the third year.
This would only add one year overall and open up various options.

If it's a longer training, 5 years, I'd still stay in the program next year but apply for the match and get out if he/she matches.

Bottom line is I would not quit the current training program without another option locked up.
Who knows if this person will match or not? It's a total crap shot.
Plus plenty of people think they should bail in the first year of training.
In many cases it's not a good decision.

Reactions: 1 user
The problem I see with dropping out of residency now is that he is giving up a sure thing---board certification in a medical specialty, and therefore, guaranteed employment---for an unsure thing. He can't be certain of matching in EM.