What would you do with a Biology Degree?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OUTexan

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what careers and jobs are available to people with a B.S. in Biology besides graduate and professional school. Is there a good job someone with a biology degree can get right out of college? The only thing I can think of is a research assistant or a quality assurance job at a food manufacturer. Some of our pharmacy techs have this degree, but still work as a tech because they cannot find a job with as good of pay. What do you suggest these guys with this degree to do?

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering what careers and jobs are available to people with a B.S. in Biology besides graduate and professional school. Is there a good job someone with a biology degree can get right out of college? The only thing I can think of is a research assistant or a quality assurance job at a food manufacturer. Some of our pharmacy techs have this degree, but still work as a tech because they cannot find a job with as good of pay. What do you suggest these guys with this degree to do?

I got my BS in Biology and then went on to pharmacy school. With just the bachelors there was one option that I considered - to work for the state as an environmental biologist. You don't make good money at first, but you get experience. Private firms will then hire you. I know someone who did this and she makes lots more money than a pharmacist. She did continue on and get her masters degree, but not the PhD.

I started as a pre-pharm major, but switched to biology because of difficulty with Organic Chemistry 2. I got a B.S. in bio and could only find jobs that paid less than I was making as a pharm tech. I looked into med tech/cytology, but's almost as much training as a pharmacist at half the pay. I retook the chem class with a different prof (and somehow managed a B) and got into pharm school.

The short answer for you question: you really need to go to graduate/professional school in order to make decent $$$ with a BS in biology. Accounting, computer stuff, and engineering are degrees that you can make money with right off the bat (that I can think of.)

There is a guy in our class whose wife has a micro degree. She makes 55k in quality control.

Members don't see this ad :)
I started as a pre-pharm major, but switched to biology because of difficulty with Organic Chemistry 2. I got a B.S. in bio and could only find jobs that paid less than I was making as a pharm tech. I looked into med tech/cytology, but's almost as much training as a pharmacist at half the pay. I retook the chem class with a different prof (and somehow managed a B) and got into pharm school.

The short answer for you question: you really need to go to graduate/professional school in order to make decent $$$ with a BS in biology. Accounting, computer stuff, and engineering are degrees that you can make money with right off the bat (that I can think of.)

There is a guy in our class whose wife has a micro degree. She makes 55k in quality control.

A med tech is "almost as much training as a pharmacist"? You're telling me a pissant undergrad degree in med tech is almost as much training as a PharmD? I don't think so. Not even close. That's like saying a PA has almost as much training as a board cert physician.

Zookeeper. If I don't make it into pharmacy school this is what I'll do. I was an intern for a year, it was fun.

A med tech is "almost as much training as a pharmacist"? You're telling me a pissant undergrad degree in med tech is almost as much training as a PharmD? I don't think so. Not even close. That's like saying a PA has almost as much training as a board cert physician.

I don't quite agree either. I think med tech requires a fifth year with a med tech program (it was one of my Plans B). The pay, however, is closer to a third of what a pharmacist earns. The only career path is into management, which doesn't pay much more than that.

I think the general consensus is that a BS in biology isn't worth much. One might get a little further with a dual BS in biology and chemistry. Some grad school is going mostly likely going to be required.

Maybe a position working at a biotechnology company would be possible as a kind of scientific factory worker?

I hadn't thought of this one. How about an accelerated program for a BS in nursing? I think it's an additional calendar year (once you start the program, anyway).

Actually, you can finish an MT degree in four years (intern the fourth year).

Actually, you can finish an MT degree in four years (intern the fourth year).

Yep, this is correct. The first 3 years of the degree are your typical prepharm/premed courses. The fourth year is your rotation year. You graduate with a BS in Medical Technology.

If you have a BS in Biology, you can become a Med Tech by just taking the rotation/externships portion. There's a lot of openings in the field, but it doesn't pay well at all.

Yep, this is correct. The first 3 years of the degree are your typical prepharm/premed courses. The fourth year is your rotation year. You graduate with a BS in Medical Technology.

If you have a BS in Biology, you can become a Med Tech by just taking the rotation/externships portion. There's a lot of openings in the field, but it doesn't pay well at all.

That depends on the school and the location. Schools in my area require completion of a BS in biology plus a year-long medical technology internship. For most people, that means five years. Maybe it's different where you guys live.

What are some of the higher-paying jobs you can get with a Master's or better in Biology?

That depends on the school and the location. Schools in my area require completion of a BS in biology plus a year-long medical technology internship. For most people, that means five years. Maybe it's different where you guys live.

I finished my MT degree here in Texas. Most of my classmates did it in 4 years. I do know some that got a science degree first (chem, bio, etc.) and then did the internship the fifth year. I guess I assumed it was like that everywhere.

I just looked up the requirements for med tech again. It seems it's quite easier to become one now than it was 4 years ago. Back then, I needed at least 2 years lab experience, plus my B.S. before I could even sit for the exam. Then another year of experience before you can take the cytology exam. You can bypass this by simply going to a med tech program, which none are offered in my state. You only make $11 per hour before you become certified. I compare this with the length of a 3 year PharmD program. I agree that the PharmD program is exponentially harder, and we make much more money than med techs/cytologists. I was erroneous in comparing "training" with length of time. Sorry 'bout that.:D

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't quite agree either. I think med tech requires a fifth year with a med tech program (it was one of my Plans B). The pay, however, is closer to a third of what a pharmacist earns. The only career path is into management, which doesn't pay much more than that.

I think the general consensus is that a BS in biology isn't worth much. One might get a little further with a dual BS in biology and chemistry. Some grad school is going mostly likely going to be required.

Maybe a position working at a biotechnology company would be possible as a kind of scientific factory worker?

Actually it's not. Med techs make like half of what a pharmacists makes not a third.

I don't know where you guys get this info :confused: but most med tech programs are 4 years. 2 years prereq and 2 years med tech courses. I entered med tech program with a BS in biology and the program itself was 2 years. There were others in my program that did the same. The 1st year and summer was classwork and the second year was half classwork and half rotations. I have never heard of a program where you can just do 1 year of rotations and become a med tech no matter what kind of degree you have. chem or bio. IMO there is no way a person can pass the certification exam ASCP with just 1 year of rotations. It just doesn't happen. It's no pcat but it's no cakewalk either. My school being one of the oldest med tech programs in the US prepares you very well for the exam but every once in a while someone fails the exam. I just can't see someone doing well with only 1 yr of actually med tech school and if it's what you said, not even a year of school.

I don't know where you guys get this info :confused: but most med tech programs are 4 years. 2 years prereq and 2 years med tech courses. I entered med tech program with a BS in biology and the program itself was 2 years. There were others in my program that did the same. The 1st year and summer was classwork and the second year was half classwork and half rotations. I have never heard of a program where you can just do 1 year of rotations and become a med tech no matter what kind of degree you have. chem or bio. IMO there is no way a person can pass the certification exam ASCP with just 1 year of rotations. It just doesn't happen. It's no pcat but it's no cakewalk either. My school being one of the oldest med tech programs in the US prepares you very well for the exam but every once in a while someone fails the exam. I just can't see someone doing well with only 1 yr of actually med tech school and if it's what you said, not even a year of school.

I graduated from UT Austin (in Texas) with a B.S. in Clinical Laboratory Science (Medical Technology). All UT students attend UT for 3 or 4 years and then apply to an internship that lasts 12-15 months. Most of them are 12 months including the one I went to. So I spent 3 years at UT and then 1 year in my internship at Scott & White Hospital. Then I passed both the ASCP and NCA exams. All UT students do a 1 year (or 15 month) internship. All of my classmates at Scott & White (i.e. students from other Texas schools besides UT) also did a 1 year internship. By the way, there have not been any graduates from the 1 year program at Scott & White that have failed the ASCP in 12 years.

Other than the 1 year of med tech classes/rotations, the other 3 years are identical to the biology major. So, if for some reason I wanted to become a med tech, I have already completed all of the degree requirements except this last year.

The options dwindle for a BS in bio if you just graduate and start looking for jobs. The people I know doing well with just a BS interned throughout college and summer etc. One guy is making 45 his first year doing some type of genetics research. The other is making 60 (and great benefits) doing chemistry work for a major corp ie quality control type crap. Lots of people I know cannot get decent jobs with their BS degrees that have no experience.

And to Jerry, what kind of school does not require Organic in their bio program? :confused:

I graduated with a Bio degree and chem minor and all I could find for jobs was R&D or QA for a foods company...and just to get my foot in the door I had to work through a temp agency...Bio degree it is about as worthless as as an art degree. Your friends really need to continue their education if they want to find a profitable job. Pharmacy may be tought to get into now especially for transfer students.

I have a friend with BS in Biology who worked as a pharmacy tech until she could get hired on with DEQ. She had to wait over a year to get the job. DEQ hired two people before her, because they had applied earlier.
She really hated waiting, but she's very happy now. She loves the hours and the benefits of working with a state agency. Her goal is to stay on with the state until retirement.

I have a friend with BS in Biology who worked as a pharmacy tech until she could get hired on with DEQ. She had to wait over a year to get the job. DEQ hired two people before her, because they had applied earlier.
She really hated waiting, but she's very happy now. She loves the hours and the benefits of working with a state agency. Her goal is to stay on with the state until retirement.

I graduated may 2006 and worked under temp agencies for labs for about a year with the most paying being abt 14.50/hour. Now i work with NIH making abt $40000/year with health insurance and paid vacations. Pharmacy is still my first love though :love:, and i'm applying for the fall of 2008.

I was in a similar situation when I graduated with a BS Bio in 06. I didn’t have a clue what to do with the degree because my main goal was to get into pharmacy school this year and there aren’t biology jobs as there are within engineering. I was currently working part time as a pharm tech, but I wanted a role that allows me to utilize my degree as well as make (much) more money.

I had offers at Caremark (now CVS Caremark) at $16 / hr as a “liaison” for patients and doctors with questions regarding insurance. I also had two sales positions offered at Fisher Scientific ($40K base + commission) as well a big pharma recruitment firm (100% commission).

Basically, hope is definitely not lost once you graduate. You just need to get into a position that improves your chances of getting into pharmacy school. If you can make great money in addition to that experience, even better.

While studying molecular bio B.S at UT-Austin, I had a 3.8 GPA. Scored a Warner Lambert summer internship after Junior year. With that, I was able to line up a full time internship with Pfizer before my graduation. 7 months into the internship, my boss offered me a permanent position for $45K a year.... That's $45K at the end of 1998. ;) Gota lover pharmaceutical companies, they pay the big bucks.

It's self-reinforcing. The bottom line is: you need to start, and stay ahead of the curve. Top companies would pay top $ for top talents in any industry.

I hung my degree on the wall. Im sure a biology degree will looks nice in a good frame in the study

Mine is on the mantle but I think my high school diploma will put up a fight for who can do more for me.

I used my BS degree to get a pharmacy tech job. With no experience or certification whatsoever, i started out at $15/hr. there is some in the hospital i work at who works full time, has a BS in Bio, and is a pharm tech with no plans for pharmacy school or any other schooling.

I got my BS in Biology and then went on to pharmacy school. With just the bachelors there was one option that I considered - to work for the state as an environmental biologist. You don't make good money at first, but you get experience.

Yep. There are lots of government (Federal and State) jobs for BS-Biology graduates. Also laboratory jobs are always available. Lots of $30k jobs out there...

Engineering is really the way to go if you woulf prefer embarking on a career right after college. I believe the range is now from $50k-$70k after a year out. Number 1...