What would you do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Terra

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! So I am in a little bit of a dilemma right now. I had a rough sophomore year and ended up dropping Organic Chemistry I with a W in the fall and this past spring (for whatever reason) I decided to take Macroeconomics because I thought I would minor in Econ and finished the class with a D.

So this summer I am planning on taking Organic Chemistry I and II so that I can start taking upper level Bios and Biochem fall 2014. My reasoning for this is that it keeps me on track for graduation and it seems there is less emphasis on organic chemistry on the new MCAT rather more Biochem emphasis.

If I do well in Biochem would adcoms frown upon me taking Organic chemistry over the summer?
Also do you think I should retake Macroeconomics? My school doesn't replace the grade it only averages the two out.

Total Earned Credits

Total Grade Points

Cumulative GPA

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You are trying to take Organic 1 and 2 at the same time? I don't think this is a good idea, they are both challenging classes and you already struggled with one alone, if you push ahead with both at the same time and don't do well it will really kill your sgpa.

I really don't think it was necessary to post your whole transcript…
I took organic chemistry over the summer, to stay on track for graduation. Granted, i HAD to, or I was looking at a 5th year of UG.
I tanked macro too. (I have no advice on whether to retake it, it's up to you)

Members don't see this ad :)
You are trying to take Organic 1 and 2 at the same time? I don't think this is a good idea, they are both challenging classes and you already struggled with one alone, if you push ahead with both at the same time and don't do well it will really kill your sgpa.

I took them both + lab over the summer. If it's set up like my UG's was, the first 6 weeks was organic I and the second 6 weeks was organic II.

Next time you post, at least attempt to make it look organized. Smh.

Reactions: 1 user
Next time you post, at least attempt to make it look organized. Smh.
Sorry I literally copy and pasted my transcript I had no idea how it would turn out

I took them both + lab over the summer. If it's set up like my UG's was, the first 6 weeks was organic I and the second 6 weeks was organic II.
Yep mine is similar. It's gonna be 3 hours of lecture Monday-Thursday and lab, Tuesday-Thursday for 2 hours. FUN TIMES

So this summer I am planning on taking Organic Chemistry I and II
Slow down there, buddy! If you had trouble with Organic Chemistry during the regular year, what makes you think that you'll be able to do well in a condensed, faster pace summer course?

You need to first analyze why you did so poorly in Orgo and Econ. Did you register for more credits than you could handle? This seems to be the culprit in most SDN threads, and the solution is to cut down on the number of credits you are taking, not to try to cram in more credits in an attempt to catch up.

My advice is that you take Orgo I and II over the next year, not over the summer. And while you are taking Orgo, register for a low number of credits and make sure that your other courses are relatively easy (things like intro to writing or intro to philosophy, not physics or evolutionary bio). Also cut down on extracurriculars if you need to free more time. If you get through the semester with a high GPA, slowly add more credits and extracurriculars back on in subsequent semesters.

so that I can start taking upper level Bios and Biochem fall 2014. My reasoning for this is that it keeps me on track for graduation and it seems there is less emphasis on organic chemistry on the new MCAT rather more Biochem emphasis.
It's better to graduate late with a good GPA than to graduate on time with a bad GPA. If money is an issue, you can graduate in five years and spend the fifth year as a part time student. You can graduate in four years and finish up your prereqs afterward as a part time/non degree student at some other college.

The MCAT can wait as well.

Also do you think I should retake Macroeconomics?
Only if you are 100% sure that you can get an A on the retake. Otherwise it is better to move on and do well in other courses.

My school doesn't replace the grade it only averages the two out.
It doesn't matter. AMCAS (the medical school application) counts both grades even if your school replaces the grade or averages the grade. So if you get a D/1.0 in a four credit course and then an A/4.0 in the retake, your grade point total will be 4 * 1.0 + 4 * 4.0, not 4 * 4.0 and not 4 * 2.5.

Did you end up retaking macro?

No, I didn't.
I got a C+ in the course so my situation for that course wasn't quite as bad as yours. I decided 19 credits would be a good idea. I failed the final but I should have dropped it after I had a B- in the course going into the late drop deadline. Family issues also arose during this time. Looking back, I regret that...

Yep mine is similar. It's gonna be 3 hours of lecture Monday-Thursday and lab, Tuesday-Thursday for 2 hours. FUN TIMES

My lecture was Mon-Thurs 6-745 pm all summer. Then lab was only during the second half, 930-530 Tuesday and Thursday. It sucked.

I also had to drop organic I the first time I took it. I took on too much (4 400 level biology courses plus organic is not a recipe for success). However, organic is rough over the summer but what I think benefited me was that was the only class I had so I could focus on it.