What would you do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SadGreenMartVSAid

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone; I've been a long time lurker and I've run into a bit of an issue and would like some advice.

I am about to graduate in June and I got an offer letter for a position in a specific area that I was interested in back in December of 2015. I signed the offer letter and made preparations to move to this area. I got an apartment lease signed last month and made plans to move. Yesterday, I got a notification that my district manager had changed (new person that I haven't worked with) and if I'd be willing to take a position which is over an hour away from my new apartment. He stated that the original area that I was interested in and had the offer letter for had no more open positions. The original area I had was a good area, not too city like but not a complete waste-land. This new area is just not someplace I would like to go to for financial reasons, I'm not familiar with the area and the 1 hour back and forth commute.

The offer letter lists the specific area I originally applied for and a district number. I asked if a new letter would be generated for this new area which I was told by the D.M., no, and that the 'district' code listed (District XXXX) gives him the authority to pretty much move me however this district pretty much covers two states.

I'm in a bit of a bind here since I'm locked in a year lease contract and the area is an hour away (one-way), and I'm not sure I want to burn a bridge or put myself in a toxic environment/be really unhappy.

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like the new DM moved people around and decided to shaft the low end of the totem pole

Members don't see this ad :)
Break the lease.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

this sounds bad but I would move to the new area.

I would ask the DM to pay for the lease break as part of the negotiation.

If this is CVS don't move for them. Keep the job, keep the apartment, commute while looking for a new position with another chain. This is assuming your area isn't super saturated.

CVS changes DM like the wind, and every new one has to try and get the house in order with personnel movement. Your own preferences won't ever be considered. Get the experience and get out, again assuming it's CVS.

If it's Walmart or Wags, put some additional thought into the decision.....but any DM that wouldn't take your offer into account won't suddenly become a people person overnight. He/she is not someone you want to work for long term.

Wags and CVS aren't the same, Wags is 5x better.