What would you have done differently?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sleepyincal

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious...what do you guys wish you had done/not done before becoming medical students? I think a lot of premeds I know are obessing too much over their stats or how many hours they spend volunteering at the hospital...but then, maybe I'm wrong. What really mattered in your experiences?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think I would have worked in basic science research. I knew enough from my chem classes that I didn't really want to do a PhD but I still did summer research in it because I thought that was what you were supposed to do to look good on paper. I liked the clinical research I was able to do and I guess I wish I had sought out more of those types of opportunities.

I knew from high school that I didn't like volunteering (I feel that volunteering in a hospital isn't going to educate me about what it is like to be a doctor because volunteer work in a hospital isn't even close to what a doctor does in a hospital. However, my dad's a pathologist so I spent many years of my life in hospitals watching him work so I didn't need that opportunity of volunteering to get my foot in the door.)--so I didn't do any in college. And look, I'm still in med school! Whee! I was only asked about why I didn't do volunteer work at one of my nine interviews.

I really like the courses I took in college and my college experience overall was positive so I wouldn't change anything there. Knowing what I know now I would have applied to less medical schools and might not have actually chosen the medical school I now attend but that's 20/20 hindsight for ya.

I would've drank a lot more. I didn't start until my freshman year in college, and if I had to do it again, I would've started in high school :)