What would you say if you were asked this in an interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

babx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
something along the lines of
Why do you want to be a doctor and not a nurse, who also works with science, helping people, direct patinet contact, etc ??/

Members don't see this ad.

something along the lines of
Why do you want to be a doctor and not a nurse, who also works with science, helping people, direct patinet contact, etc ??/

Because I don't just want to be involved in direct patient care, I want to be the one with the ultimate responsibility for the diagnosis and treatment of the patient's condition.

Members don't see this ad :)
Because I want a white coat.

amidoinitrite?

Because doctors are better.

come-at-me-bro.jpg

'Cause I like responsibility and am down to go to court all day. Now can we please hurry this interview up, I've got another interview that I accidentally scheduled for right now.

OP if you can't reasonably answer this yourself you haven't done enough digging into medicine.

Because I don't just want to be involved in direct patient care, I want to be the one with the ultimate responsibility for the diagnosis and treatment of the patient's condition.

Absolutely AGREE :thumbup:

There is no nurse specialty that would earn half a million a year. Next question.

Chicks, power, money, and chicks.

you want the opportunity to specialize and to do research

there is no way the interviewer can have a problem with that answer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Because I don't really care about their (patients) personal lives. Honestly if someone starts to yap about their wife, husband, dogs, and whatever, I start to space off into the Mars. I don't want to be rude, but I'm just not very social. Well, not sociable enough to be a nurse. My ideal definition of nurse is someone who can relate you into all the medical stuffs, who can explain what's going on, and a doctor tends to speak in a very technical manner.

But of course if I'm put in a spot I'll just say I enjoy the challenge of solving problems, not receiving orders.

I totally respect nurses. They get the whole family through a crisis, but I'm not a nurse material. Sorry.

Because I don't really care about their (patients) personal lives. Honestly if someone starts to yap about their wife, husband, dogs, and whatever, I start to space off into the Mars. I don't want to be rude, but I'm just not very social. Well, not sociable enough to be a nurse. My ideal definition of nurse is someone who can relate you into all the medical stuffs, who can explain what's going on, and a doctor tends to speak in a very technical manner.
You realize that's what a doctor should do too, right? A doctor that speaks in jargon and goes over patients' and families' heads all the time is a poor communicator and not fulfilling the role they hold as leader of the health care team.

OP if you can't reasonably answer this yourself you haven't done enough digging into medicine.

Agree completely. A lot of the 'canned' answers people are pulling out in this thread better be backed up by personal experiences/preferences.

eg. if you say research you better be able to support that with research you did in undergrad and research plans for your future.

Even the "I want the top responsibility" better be somewhat supported by leadership roles etc.

When I interviewed years ago I said that I had seriously considered going NP or PA. But the summer that I needed to decide and take my MCAT or GRE I basically looked at my life and figured I had nothing better to do for the next 7 years - so why not become an MD where I could do more good in low income communities.

Worked out for me - I got accepted everywhere I interviewed.

You really need to dig deep and find out why not a nurse, a true personal answer. Thats going to take you the furthest.

a true, but "bad" answer trumps a false, but "good" answer...
(there are no good/bad answers, only true/false ones)

adcoms are polygraphs...

Because my parents would be disappointed in me.

That was a joke. I'm 33 and haven't seen my parents in 20 years.

But of course if I'm put in a spot I'll just say I enjoy the challenge of solving problems, not receiving orders.

I totally respect nurses. They get the whole family through a crisis, but I'm not a nurse material. Sorry.

From a patients point of view, neither are you doctor material son.

because i dont want to sell myself short

The worst part of this is that I think you are actually srs.

Not being completely incompetent in your doctor-patient interactions is a huge part of being a competent doctor.