What year (1-3) do you typically work with real patients?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheNeptune

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been looking at schools but haven't been able to find out what year you start working with patients. I read that American International College works with real patients in the first year, so I was wondering if this was typical for other DPT programs.

Members don't see this ad.

Most students have their first clinical rotation during the summer between the 1st and 2nd year. That's when you start working with real patients - under supervision, of course. Some schools (I think Duke does) have mini-rotations during the first year.

At UNE we start in the fall of our second year after 3 semesters of classes. Then we alternate 12 weeks of clinical with a semester of classes for the next 6 semesters.

Members don't see this ad :)
At the University of Mary, ND, the students have their first clinical rotation in the summer between the first and second years of the program. We also have a pro bono clinic that students run starting in the spring of their first year. And this year, the students will have integrated clinical experiences starting in the fall of their first year.

It really depends on the school- at ECU we start our 3rd semester (spring first year), but we can also observe at the hospital and clinic starting our second semester.

At TWU we had half day acute care clinicals once per week during our second (spring) semester, where we had some direct contact with patients. Our first full time clinicals were in the fall semester of the second year.

At Pacific.... we typically have our first 4 week clinical during the summer after our 1st year, I believe.

At Brenau University, we start clinicals with patient contact (although not full time) during our 2nd (fall) semester.

Different at every school. My school has a 6-week clinical in the summer between year 1 & 2, and 3 rotations of 10-12 weeks each that fill the entire 3rd year.

I've been looking at schools but haven't been able to find out what year you start working with patients. I read that American International College works with real patients in the first year, so I was wondering if this was typical for other DPT programs.

Have you applied to American International Colleges DPT program?? If so have you heard back from them?