What you know and who you know.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xnfs93hy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm increasingly finding out that, while GPA and other activities are important, networking with people is equally as important. I hadn't really been networking that much. I have a friend in the medical field (radiology technician) who I use as a reference, and two physicians I know really well. This has helped me land a part-time position at my local hospital. I previously applied without strong references and was denied the position, but since I started networking, I've found that more job opportunities are opening up for me.

Is it really both? I mean, is it what you know and who you know that really gets you a job, whether it be in the medical field or otherwise?

It seems kind of unfair in a way, but I guess that this is how the real world works.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you answered your own question.

Reactions: 1 user
Why would this be unfair? Having references, aka people you know, is important for everything.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why would this be unfair? Having references, aka people you know, is important for everything.

I didn't have a lot of time to network, and I thought that my resume was pretty strong. I guess that you need references for validity reasons. Others that can put in a good word on your behalf.

Unfair because it perpetuates systems of power, privilege, and oppression?

Reactions: 9 users
:corny:

I didn't have a lot of time to network, and I thought that my resume was pretty strong. I guess that you need references for validity reasons. Others that can put in a good word on your behalf.

People lie and puff up their resumes all the time. References are useful to validate some of that stuff too. Networking often helps you get your foot in the door.

Unfair because it perpetuates systems of power, privilege, and oppression?

To some extent yes. But I just don't see how not having references vs having them makes anything unfair. The employer doesn't know you. It's helpful to have someone to vouch for you. Essentially confirming what's on your resume

I agree, references are important and play a useful role. There isn't much of a question in the OP, they really answered their own question.

Both what you know and who you know matter.

To some extent yes. But I just don't see how not having references vs having them makes anything unfair. The employer doesn't know you. It's helpful to have someone to vouch for you. Essentially confirming what's on your resume

Good point. I think that this was the mistake that I made in the past.

It seems to me that this type of unfair networking that "perpetuates systems of power, privilege, and oppression" occurs a lot less frequently when applying to medical school & matching for residency than it does in other fields like business (I'm thinking MBA programs & investment banking firms, to start). Just my humble opinion. If someone has seen a lot of unqualified "legacies" breeze into/through med school & residency, feel free to correct me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
It seems to me that this type of unfair networking that "perpetuates systems of power, privilege, and oppression" occurs a lot less frequently when applying to medical school & matching for residency than it does in other fields like business (I'm thinking MBA programs & investment banking firms, to start). Just my humble opinion. If someone has seen a lot of unqualified "legacies" breeze into/through med school & residency, feel free to correct me.

A friend of my dad's daughter, who is an alumni from Columbia himself, paid Columbia 300,000 to accept her into a program that will allow her to be automatically accepted into their medical school. She never even took the MCAT.

You're just discovering this now?

I'm increasingly finding out that, while GPA and other activities are important, networking with people is equally as important. I hadn't really been networking that much. I have a friend in the medical field (radiology technician) who I use as a reference, and two physicians I know really well. This has helped me land a part-time position at my local hospital. I previously applied without strong references and was denied the position, but since I started networking, I've found that more job opportunities are opening up for me.

Is it really both? I mean, is it what you know and who you know that really gets you a job, whether it be in the medical field or otherwise?

It seems kind of unfair in a way, but I guess that this is how the real world works.

What you are on paper doesn't necessarily translate to how you are in real life, especially when it comes to things that aren't obvious by looking at GPA or a single interview, like people skills, personality, and reliability. If I were looking to hire someone, I might be more likely to choose an applicant who has been recommended by someone I trust over someone I don't know.

While it's true that this is unfair, it might make sense from the POV of the person hiring.

I think people underestimate their ability to network. Many people are happy to help you with your goals if you show up and express interest in passion. You have to work at it. And while some people have more privilege, you certainly can get places by starting out as a volunteer, etc, and working your way up. Just takes patience and persistence. Unfortunately I think many premeds think this stuff is owed to them.