What you wish you knew day 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If you want a book for first year the BRS physiology by Costanzo would be good to use as you go through each system.

I highly recommend reading Constanzo and BRS physio first year as well. For those that don't know, they are by the same author and BRS in the quick review version of the larger Constanzo physio textbook. It's the only textbook I've read cover to cover and I recommend at least being familiar with it. A solid foundation in physio will set you up for M2.

As for FA, I think it depends on your school. If you have a traditional curriculum, I don't think it will be as helpful. I bought a copy day one but didn't end up using it much as I had planned because the basic sciences you are required to know are in such greater detail than what is in FA. It's great to see what is high yield though and with the relatively cheap price, having a copy wouldn't hurt.

For a different plan, I have been using FC for retaining old M1 material as the year progresses. I think if I didn't use FC as religiously I would use FA a lot more. If I had to start over again, I would start banking FC from day 1. Going against conventional wisdom on here, I do plan on going through and annotating biochem and parts of micro and immuno in FA in the summer between M1-M2. Organ systems don't start until M2 for me.

Members don't see this ad.

Lots of good advice in this thread, so I'll just add this.

It's okay to have an idea of what you want to do after med school, but it's likely to change. I've seen friends go from FM to Surgery, EM to Gas, Gas to OBGYN, etc. You'll have a better sense of it as you progress, so keep an open mind. In 3rd year, you'll see how the sausage gets made in each of the specialities and you may not like what you see!

The best career advice I ever received as a 3rd year was from a gregarious surgeon while he was performing a hemithyroidectomy I had scrubbed in on. He said, "It doesn't matter how much they pay you - if you can't get out of bed to do it, don't do it! Me, I could do this for free! But my wife likes to shop, so I gotta get paid man!"

Reactions: 12 users
I highly recommend reading Constanzo and BRS physio first year as well. For those that don't know, they are by the same author and BRS in the quick review version of the larger Constanzo physio textbook. It's the only textbook I've read cover to cover and I recommend at least being familiar with it. A solid foundation in physio will set you up for M2.

As for FA, I think it depends on your school. If you have a traditional curriculum, I don't think it will be as helpful. I bought a copy day one but didn't end up using it much as I had planned because the basic sciences you are required to know are in such greater detail than what is in FA. It's great to see what is high yield though and with the relatively cheap price, having a copy wouldn't hurt.

For a different plan, I have been using FC for retaining old M1 material as the year progresses. I think if I didn't use FC as religiously I would use FA a lot more. If I had to start over again, I would start banking FC from day 1. Going against conventional wisdom on here, I do plan on going through and annotating biochem and parts of micro and immuno in FA in the summer between M1-M2. Organ systems don't start until M2 for me.
Thanks for sharing about FC. Can you share your opinion about the differences of Fc and FA format?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for sharing about FC. Can you share your opinion about the differences of Fc and FA format?
Thanks

For those that don't know, Firecracker (FC) is a program that you pay for that gives you question cards everyday on high yield material. It's slightly hard to explain without opening up the website, but the idea is that there is essentially a flash card-like bank of around 12,000 topics. As you cover the material, you "flag" that topic and go through a series of question on the subject. For example, a question could be "In what reaction is the second molecule of CO2 released in the TCA cycle?" You think of the answer and then hit "show answer." You rate your knowledge of the material from 1-5. Once you've "banked" that material, it enters a pool of cards that are available in a quiz format everyday. You get an adjustable calendar and receive a scramble of random subjects you've banked everyday. The material you answered as 5 come less frequently than 1, which means you don't know it. You only get your daily review questions on subjects you've flagged and banked. You can do as little or as much as you like as there is a normal and "lite" mode. Every answer has a detailed explanation and often diagrams.

There is a 1 month free trial and most schools offer a discount. I think I payed around $250 for 14 months, which is awesome considering I do 100 questions at least per day unless I'm studying for a test. I use it for recalling old info so I don't lose those details. FA, in contrast, is a book with essentially of the same material.

Hope this helps - I'd be happy to clarify or expand on anything. There's an entire thread about it under Step 1 sub-forum as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
I dont think anyone cared. All my interviews everyone was complimenting my scores, or said "they are fine scores". They would have cared if it was some dramatic difference. But instead it was just something at-or-near the standard deviation mark. So I'm within my own margin of error.

I'm glad you had a good experience! I asked because I have a close friend who got the exact same score (~260) on both Step 1 and CK and they said some interviewers questioned them on it. This person matched into IM so maybe IM is more concerned with CK scores than EM is.

What I wish I would have known day 1: You still have time to run and get your money back.

Not srsly. But kind of serious.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone! Since there are many medschool student on here, i want to get some answers. How does low verbal on mcat predict ur performance in what part of medschool ? Thanks
Edit: sorry for posting this question here!

Last edited:
Hi everyone! Since there are many medschool student on here, i want to get some answers. How does low verbal on mcat predict ur performance in what part of medschool ? Thanks
Lol. Perfect place to ask such a question

I can speak DA real nize and my patience'ss luvs mez...

Really this was the best thread to ask your unrelated/what the hell are you talking about question?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ignore spelling and/or grammar

I can speak DA real nize and my patience'ss luvs mez...

Really this was the best thread to ask your unrelated/what the hell are you talking about question?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ignore spelling and/or grammar
Ok im reallly sorry to ask this question here! Really niz attitude!

Edit: sorry for posting this question here!

MCAT scores are nothing more than a tool for administrators to decide whether or not you get accepted to their school. MCAT does not predict anything in real life.

Members don't see this ad :)
this reminds me of another "wish I knew" item. Yes, there are some awesome clinicians that are incredibly valuable. You will also be surrounded by giant a-holes that are excellent teachers, douches that can't teach at all, people who are incredibly likeable but aren't very good, and every other combination you can think of. Like people and value mentors for the right reasons and don't take things personally.
You can learn from all these people. It may just be who not to model yourself after or who not to refer to.

Had a hard time deciding if I should write this post, but based on it ask me what you must. Please be respectful, because this is a story that probably <20 people know between family, friends, classmates, coresidents.

My academic career was tenuous. I like to call myself "fake smart." I did well in undergrad, 3.55 and 29 on the MCAT. Only got into osteopathic programs after applying to both. Those choices were LECOM/VCOM/PCOM. As everyone knows, I ended up at PCOM. The biggest differences going from undergrad to medical school were trying to cope with the amount of material and the amount of freedom one has. I didn't cope well and quickly found myself slapped in the face by my first exam grade. I trudged along and continued to pass, but not be "above my peers" or even average. By the time the insanity of anatomy ended, I was finding myself most likely attending the makeup course. The only thing that saved me was when I cleaned out my anatomy locker and found a practical I hadn't calculated into my grade. I passed by the skin of my teeth. Thank ****ing God. There was an insane amount of pressure on myself throughout the entire course to try and do well. There wasn't direct pressure from my parents, but the indirect pressure from them and family/friends was great: first family member to graduate high school and go to college, first to graduate from college, first to go to medical school. So failing not only affected me, but my family.

This same process continued for the rest of the year, through second year, but with my grades getting mildly better. My best basic science block was immunology. And, then I was just above the class average. It brings me to a very, very important point however. If you're not doing well, don't try to trudge through. GET HELP AS SOON AS THERE IS A SIGN OF DISTRESS. You'll hurt your pride finding yourself in the 5% who fail out moreso than if you ask for learning/studying help. I didn't ask for help and I regret it immensely. I did so "well" in immunology, because of my prior teaching in undergrad. I can say that now, in hindsight.

Second year is over, on to rotations!

But there was one hurdle to get over and it was the biggest one yet. COMLEX I. I had prepared for it. Took the test; got my scores back, and realized I had not prepared enough/properly/using the correct resources. I could make a ton of excuses, but ultimately it fell on me. The passing score for the exam is 400. I scored a 390 (and this is when some of you longtime members might remember some of this sounding familiar under a different username). There I was, just slightly below passing. I was wrecked. I thought it was the end of the world, I felt as if I had no future options, I had failed myself/school/family/friends. I would say at this point I probably met DSM criteria for dysthymia/MDD. But, I continued on. I had to. There was a lot of weight on my shoulders before all of this and it still need to make it to the end of the line (graduation). I now had the challenge of studying again for the COMLEX while on rotations in surg/anesthesia/IM/Cards/Pulm. Not necessarily the best time to be doing this. I hunkered down, almost shut myself off completely socially except for a few events here and there, and invested an unexpected $500+ on Boards Boot Camp. Other classmates had used it and done well. I was desperate and at that point, money was no limiting factor. Looking back, if I had to carry that charge on a credit card until I died, it was the best investment I made. Test day came, at that point only my ex-SO, best friend (X2) and immediate family knew I had failed. I was so embarrassed I didn't tell anyone else. That was the wrong move; I know my friends would have helped me in whatever way possible and I wouldn't have had to keep it all in. Even more distressing was my mom calling me, because I seemed so upset, to make sure I was not planning on "coping" with this any other way besides the conventional way. (It was never that bad).

Took the test, felt 100X better than when I took it the first time. As an aside, I knew I failed the exam the first time after the post-exam celebrations we had.

The day finally came when scores were released. It was make or break time. Do I want to log on and get my scores or should I have someone else do it? I had to pull the trigger; so I logged on and saw my score. It had to be a mistake; absolutely had to. 576. Five-seventy-six. 186 point increase. Largest increase in the history of my school for anyone who had to retake. I finally found a way to prepare for these exams and was feeling a bit better. At that point, it being December, I had already decided I was using BBC for COMLEX II. There was no other option.

I wish I had used BBC initially. A 576 is an impressive score, well above the average of 500. At that time, sans super competitive specialties, I probably could have pulled off any specialty choice I would have considered. But, of course, I had failed initially. Now, many would say the failure is why I am in a primary care specialty. Maybe so, partly, but wholly I made the decision to do FM because I loved my experiences. Would I have considered other specialties initially if I didn't fail? Yes. I loved anesthesia as well. But, my self doubt and positive experiences on my FM rotations drove me down that path. Doubt is a powerful thing. It's hard to get over self-doubt, no matter how well things are going.

I was doing well on my rotations. I high-passed and honored most of them. Then, COMLEX II came around. I prepared with BBC again. Took the test; felt awesome after it (if that's possible). Got my score back...564. I was amazed. I also got my PE score back around the same day. Passed. I could graduate! I could match! I could finally be a doctor! But of course, there was still doubt hanging around. I mean, there were still in-training exams and specialty boards.

Things have been going much better since getting out of school. I'm learning a ton on my PGY-1 rotations and have gotten an amazing amount of positive feedback from my faculty and co-residents. I'm well liked not only among our program, but other parts of the hospital. People see me as dependable, helpful, and a team player. It's nice to be appreciated. Its nice to be out from under the blanket of "academia" in the sense of medical school (both in the classroom and on rotations). This is how I am meant to learn. On the job, supplementing with reading of course, and not worrying about monthly or more frequent exams. The doubt has somewhat gone. There might be a little bit here or there, but I would now call it humbleness (not to a pathologic point) and cautiousness.

The final caster of the doubt was my in-training exams. I did really well for a first year. I didn't study for them, because they are a baseline for you. You don't want to falsely elevate the score, since you're expected to progress yearly. Plus, I was only a few months into intern year. I was still trying not to drown.
Osteopathic exam: Scored a 572 (scaled), with we being on par with our PGY-2s. The national PGY-1 average was 460. National average overall was 500.
Allopathic exam: Scored a 440 with a PGY-1 mean of 395 nationally and PGY-2 mean of 448 nationally.

This goes to show, I think my test anxiety is behind me. The stress of "not having to do well" on the ITEs let my acumen shine through and helped to erase my doubt I was having at me being a successful physician.

There has been a lot of good advice in the thread.

Questions?

Last edited:
Reactions: 34 users
I agree.

I feel that FA is good beginning second year once you get into the organ systems. Simply read the chapter for whatever system you're on at the time. When you begin dedicated board prep you will have seen the material before and it will go faster in terms of refreshing your memory.

At my school the first year curriculum has little/nothing to do with system pathology so FA or another review book would be of little use. If you want a book for first year the BRS physiology by Costanzo would be good to use as you go through each system.

Big Costanzo would be better for MS1. The 1-2 hours it took to read a chapter in Costanzo taught me more than 6-8 hours of MS1 physio lecture. BRS is not enough detail to learn physiology.

Reactions: 1 user
Had a hard time deciding if I should write this post, but based on it ask me what you must. Please be respectful, because this is a story that probably <20 people know between family, friends, classmates, coresidents.

My academic career was tenuous. I like to call myself "fake smart." I did well in undergrad, 3.55 and 29 on the MCAT. Only got into osteopathic programs after applying to both. Those choices were LECOM/VCOM/PCOM. As everyone knows, I ended up at PCOM. The biggest differences going from undergrad to medical school were trying to cope with the amount of material and the amount of freedom one has. I didn't cope well and quickly found myself slapped in the face by my first exam grade. I trudged along and continued to pass, but not be "above my peers" or even average. By the time the insanity of anatomy ended, I was finding myself most likely attending the makeup course. The only thing that saved me was when I cleaned out my anatomy locker and found a practical I hadn't calculated into my grade. I passed by the skin of my teeth. Thank ******* God. There was an insane amount of pressure on myself throughout the entire course to try and do well. There wasn't direct pressure from my parents, but the indirect pressure from them and family/friends was great: first family member to graduate high school and go to college, first to graduate from college, first to go to medical school. So failing not only affected me, but my family.

This same process continued for the rest of the year, through second year, but with my grades getting mildly better. My best basic science block was immunology. And, then I was just above the class average. It brings me to a very, very important point however. If you're not doing well, don't try to trudge through. GET HELP AS SOON AS THERE IS A SIGN OF DISTRESS. You'll hurt your pride finding yourself in the 5% who fail out moreso than if you ask for learning/studying help. I didn't ask for help and I regret it immensely. I did so "well" in immunology, because of my prior teaching in undergrad. I can say that now, in hindsight.

But there was one hurdle to get over and it was the biggest one yet. COMLEX I. I had prepared for it. Took the test; got my scores back, and realized I had not prepared enough/properly/using the correct resources. I could make a ton of excuses, but ultimately it fell on me. The passing score for the exam is 400. I scored a 390 (and this is when some of you longtime members might remember some of this sounding familiar under a different username). There I was, just slightly below passing. I was wrecked. I thought it was the end of the world, I felt as if I had no future options, I had failed myself/school/family/friends. I would say at this point I probably met DSM criteria for dysthymia/MDD. But, I continued on. I had to. There was a lot of weight on my shoulders before all of this and it still need to make it to the end of the line (graduation). I now had the challenge of studying again for the COMLEX while on rotations in surg/anesthesia/IM/Cards/Pulm. Not necessarily the best time to be doing this. I hunkered down, almost shut myself off completely socially except for a few events here and there, and invested an unexpected $500+ on Boards Boot Camp. Other classmates had used it and done well. I was desperate and at that point, money was no limiting factor. Looking back, if I had to carry that charge on a credit card until I died, it was the best investment I made. Test day came, at that point only my ex-SO, best friend (X2) and immediate family knew I had failed. I was so embarrassed I didn't tell anyone else. That was the wrong move; I know my friends would have helped me in whatever way possible and I wouldn't have had to keep it all in. Even more distressing was my mom calling me, because I seemed so upset, to make sure I was not planning on "coping" with this any other way besides the conventional way. (It was never that bad).

Took the test, felt 100X better than when I took it the first time. As an aside, I knew I failed the exam the first time after the post-exam celebrations we had.

The day finally came when scores were released. It was make or break time. Do I want to log on and get my scores or should I have someone else do it? I had to pull the trigger; so I logged on and saw my score. It had to be a mistake; absolutely had to. 576. Five-seventy-six. 186 point increase. Largest increase in the history of my school for anyone who had to retake. I finally found a way to prepare for these exams and was feeling a bit better. At that point, it being December, I had already decided I was using BBC for COMLEX II. There was no other option.

I wish I had used BBC initially. A 576 is an impressive score, well above the average of 500. At that time, sans super competitive specialties, I probably could have pulled off any specialty choice I would have considered. But, of course, I had failed initially. Now, many would say the failure is why I am in a primary care specialty. Maybe so, partly, but wholly I made the decision to do FM because I loved my experiences. Would I have considered other specialties initially if I didn't fail? Yes. I loved anesthesia as well. But, my self doubt and positive experiences on my FM rotations drove me down that path. Doubt is a powerful thing. It's hard to get over self-doubt, no matter how well things are going.

I was doing well on my rotations. I high-passed and honored most of them. Then, COMLEX II came around. I prepared with BBC again. Took the test; felt awesome after it (if that's possible). Got my score back...564. I was amazed. I also got my PE score back around the same day. Passed. I could graduate! I could match! I could finally be a doctor! But of course, there was still doubt hanging around. I mean, there were still in-training exams and specialty boards.

Things have been going much better since getting out of school. I'm learning a ton on my PGY-1 rotations and have gotten an amazing amount of positive feedback from my faculty and co-residents. I'm well liked not only among our program, but other parts of the hospital. People see me as dependable, helpful, and a team player. It's nice to be appreciated. Its nice to be out from under the blanket of "academia" in the sense of medical school (both in the classroom and on rotations). This is how I am meant to learn. On the job, supplementing with reading of course, and not worrying about monthly or more frequent exams. The doubt has somewhat gone. There might be a little bit here or there, but I would now call it humbleness (not to a pathologic point) and cautiousness.

The final caster of the doubt was my in-training exams. I did really well for a first year. I didn't study for them, because they are a baseline for you. You don't want to falsely elevate the score, since you're expected to progress yearly. Plus, I was only a few months into intern year. I was still trying not to drown.
Osteopathic exam: Scored a 572 (scaled), with we being on par with our PGY-2s. The national PGY-1 average was 460. National average overall was 500.
Allopathic exam: Scored a 440 with a PGY-1 mean of 395 nationally and PGY-2 mean of 448 nationally.

This goes to show, I think my test anxiety is behind me. The stress of "not having to do well" on the ITEs let my acumen shine through and helped to erase my doubt I was having at me being a successful physician.

Questions?
Wow, thanks for sharing that. Congratulations on overcoming a rough start and a lot of self doubt. That's very admirable. I have a couple questions. What was tripping you up in Anatomy to start off school? Not the specific sections of it, but what were you doing in your habits to preclude you from being above average? Were you busting your ass to study and still having trouble?

What would you have done differently in terms of studying and time management? What were you doing to prepare for COMLEX 1 initially?

What do you mean by ask for help? The learning assistants and upper years or friends at school?

Had a hard time deciding if I should write this post, but based on it ask me what you must. Please be respectful, because this is a story that probably <20 people know between family, friends, classmates, coresidents...

Amazing, uplifting, and very good post with tons of very true advice. I very much appreciate it.

For those of you starting soon: Always ask for help. Most (i.e. the majority) of my class had tutors for Anatomy. It was practically the default position (and those people did well/better in the course than others). If you are struggling ask for help and talk to people, it makes your life much easier and puts things in perspective. In spite of the competition, med school is filled with mostly empathetic people that are as stressed out as you and can, and usually do want to help.

Questions?

Thank you for the great post, Bacchus, and congratulations on all your success. Redemption/success stories are always uplifting to hear. I have a question though. Besides BBC, did you use anything else to prepare for your board exams?

My academic career was tenuous. I like to call myself "fake smart." I did well in undergrad, 3.55 and 29 on the MCAT. Only got into osteopathic programs after applying to both. Those choices were LECOM/VCOM/PCOM. As everyone knows, I ended up at PCOM. The biggest differences going from undergrad to medical school were trying to cope with the amount of material and the amount of freedom one has. I didn't cope well and quickly found myself slapped in the face by my first exam grade. I trudged along and continued to pass, but not be "above my peers" or even average. By the time the insanity of anatomy ended, I was finding myself most likely attending the makeup course. The only thing that saved me was when I cleaned out my anatomy locker and found a practical I hadn't calculated into my grade. I passed by the skin of my teeth. Thank ******* God. There was an insane amount of pressure on myself throughout the entire course to try and do well. There wasn't direct pressure from my parents, but the indirect pressure from them and family/friends was great: first family member to graduate high school and go to college, first to graduate from college, first to go to medical school. So failing not only affected me, but my family.

That is an awesome story ! Very admirable. I don't know what BBC is, but would you only suggest it for comlex? Or also the uslme? This is assuming there is still comlex in 2016 when I take it. Thanks

Questions?

Something else that has briefly been mentioned is tutoring sessions. You may have skated through undergrad, thinking your were smarter than everyone else and that TA sessions were for dummies. Well buddy, that all changes when you get to med school. You should go to every single tutoring session, Q&A, whatever. Ask for help early on, not until you are calculating your final grade and thinking you might be screwed. Take advantage of every learning resource your school offers you. At my school, the master's students would have anatomy reviews the night before the exam. You can bet your butt that those were money. I'm so glad I went to those and didn't think of myself as being "too smart" for it. Do that for the first two years when you have your basic science classes and it will help.

Questions?
An amazing post and very insightful. As a MS1 at PCOM, I know your message speaks with authority. Thank you.

Wow, thanks for sharing that. Congratulations on overcoming a rough start and a lot of self doubt. That's very admirable. I have a couple questions. What was tripping you up in Anatomy to start off school? Not the specific sections of it, but what were you doing in your habits to preclude you from being above average? Were you busting your ass to study and still having trouble?

What would you have done differently in terms of studying and time management? What were you doing to prepare for COMLEX 1 initially?

What do you mean by ask for help? The learning assistants and upper years or friends at school?
1. Anatomy as a whole was tripping me up. I wasn't used to the amount of work the class would require. I never had a class in undergrad that required so much of me. I also think a component was a "new found freedom" in the sense I had only class and studying, not a job, activities or volunteering. I had more "free time" that I should have probably used more dutifully. The transition was difficult.
2. See #1.
3. Our school provided a 2 week course: Northwestern Review. It was awful and no one truly liked it. I also used FA. I wholeheartedly recommend BBC. I've posted elsewhere about it and the format.
Amazing, uplifting, and very good post with tons of very true advice. I very much appreciate it.

For those of you starting soon: Always ask for help. Most (i.e. the majority) of my class had tutors for Anatomy. It was practically the default position (and those people did well/better in the course than others). If you are struggling ask for help and talk to people, it makes your life much easier and puts things in perspective. In spite of the competition, med school is filled with mostly empathetic people that are as stressed out as you and can, and usually do want to help.
I agree with this. There will always be someone to help you if you ask.
Thank you for the great post, Bacchus, and congratulations on all your success. Redemption/success stories are always uplifting to hear. I have a question though. Besides BBC, did you use anything else to prepare for your board exams?
Not the 2nd time around. BBC is made for the COMLEX. It encompasses everything you need to know. I think its a good prepatory program. It predicted my score within 10 points.

BBC is made for the COMLEX. It encompasses everything you need to know. I think its a good prepatory program. It predicted my score within 10 points.
Would you recommend the self study program or the other ones?

Would you recommend the self study program or the other ones?

I'm curious to know if standard sources for usmle will also work for comlex, considering the exams have different focuses content wise. Everyone taking usmle suggests focusing on FA, uworld and pathoma.

me be curious to know if standard sources for usmle will also work for comlex, considerin' the exams have different focuses content wise. Everyone takin' usmle suggests focusin' on FA, uworld and pathoma.

They will be my focus too in addition to doing FC on daily basis.

me be curious to know if standard sources for usmle will also work for comlex, considerin' t' exams have different focuses content wise. Everyone takin' usmle suggests focusin' on FA, uworld and pathoma.
They will. I do recommend doing a COMLEX QBank such as COMQUEST or COMBANK to get used to the question format the COMLEX uses. Also, study your Savarese green book for OMM.

me be curious to know if standard sources for usmle will also work for comlex, considerin' t' exams have different focuses content wise. Everyone takin' usmle suggests focusin' on FA, uworld and pathoma.
Most people say they use USMLE stuff then study Savarese for OMM. I like this bootcamp program. If a guy goes from fail to 80th percentile, that says a lot. My school gives us Kaplan. I'll probably just use FA, Kaplan and the bootcamp. I don't know about FC or Pathoma, but you are right that it is highly recommended.

They will. me do recommend doin' a COMLEX QBank such as COMQUEST or COMBANK to get used to t' question format t' COMLEX uses. Also, study yer Savarese green book for OMM.

Besides OMT, what areas are more emphasized in Comlex and USMLE respectively? Besides emphasis, all basic science areas are covered on both exams right? So studying for one pays off on the other relatively speaking.

That's why I'm not sure if BBC is as high yield when you are preparing to take USMLE as well. Anyone use it while taking both exams?

Besides OMT, what areas be more emphasized in Comlex and USMLE respectively? Besides emphasis, all basic science areas be covered on both exams right? So studyin' for one pays off on t' other relatively speakin'.

That's why me be not sure if BBC be as high yield when ye be preparin' to take USMLE as well. Anyone use it while takin' both exams?
It's been a year since I took both exams and I don't really remember if there was much difference in the content. I'd expect all basic science areas to be covered on both.

Besides OMT, what areas be more emphasized in Comlex and USMLE respectively? Besides emphasis, all basic science areas be covered on both exams right? So studyin' for one pays off on t' other relatively speakin'.

That's why me be not sure if BBC be as high yield when ye be preparin' to take USMLE as well. Anyone use it while takin' both exams?

it be been a year since me took both exams and me don't really remember if thar was much difference in t' content. me'd expect all basic science areas to be covered on both.

USMLE: biochemistry, pathophysiology, basic science research design and interpretation
COMLEX: microbiology, pharmacology, clinical assessment

how is biochem and pathophys not on comlex?

My step 1 had at least 10 biochem questions, but most do not. I did have lots of pathophys too, but it was not nearly as big of a focus as the nbmes. 'Bugs, drugs, omm' is an accurate description.

you mean comlex level 1 right?

how is biochem and pathophys not on comlex?

I'm pretty sure both tests have both sets of info (except for OMM). I believe what Trogghunter and pattr are saying are areas of focus. Everything I've heard from others is that they test the same material, there's just different emphasis on certain subjects. Don't forget these tests are long.

Most people say they use USMLE stuff then study Savarese for OMM. I like this bootcamp program. If a guy goes from fail to 80th percentile, that says a lot. My school gives us Kaplan. I'll probably just use FA, Kaplan and the bootcamp. I don't know about FC or Pathoma, but you are right that it is highly recommended.

I highly recommend Pathoma. I could see doing without Fc, especially if you have access to a lot of study questions, but pathoma really presents the material in a way that's both easy to understand and easier to remember.

I'm pretty sure both tests have both sets of info (except for OMM). I believe what Trogghunter and pattr are saying are areas of focus. Everything I've heard from others is that they test the same material, there's just different emphasis on certain subjects. Don't forget these tests are long.

I highly recommend Pathoma. I could see doing without Fc, especially if you have access to a lot of study questions, but pathoma really presents the material in a way that's both easy to understand and easier to remember.

So what boards prep material do you recommend one to have starting from Day 1?

So what boards prep material do you recommend one to have starting from Day 1?

Haha, I don't know, but I can tell you what I'm doing:

I preordered FA 2014 on Amazon, and got it in Jan. I use pathoma for an overview of the path that we've covered. I have Fc, but I use it mainly to remember stuff I've already "learned" (trying to do 20-70 questions a day, 1-2 hrs).

I'm planning to spend a few hours a day over the summer reviewing the Biochem, Phys & Pharm that I've covered this year with maybe some OMM practice so I don't lose all my palpatory skills. I also am going to start annotating FA, since I haven't really been using it much this semester.

Real board prep for me will start closer to Nov/Dec (we only have 1-2 wks off before the COMLEX, so I have to start a bit earlier than most people). I'll probably try to do UWORLD & COMBANK/COMQUEST 2-3 times (hopefully) until the exam, because taking practice questions really tends to help me personally. Saverese I'll be studying through Fall semester because we have the OMM shelf in Dec I believe.

What I'm doing before that is more along the lines of focusing on retention of what I've learned.

All this is subject to change, but this is just my general plan. I don't want to be one of those slackers that DocEspana talked about, and I'm planning to go out west for residency, so it'll be an uphill battle and I at least want a moderately decent score.

At this point as an incoming student, I wouldn't suggest getting anything yet. First off a new FA will come out in Jan, Fc may likely have a discount going for your school, and your school may already offer board prep. I personally really like pathoma for the path, BRS for anatomy, etc., but wait and see what second years at your school and your classmates suggest. Take a look at the resources, and decide for yourself what you need. Things like FA are a staple though (in spite of my barely using it up to now).

Also, be aware that in LECOM PBL, we don't necessarily follow the same track as most schools (general basic science, and then clearly delineated systems - ours are all kind of mixed together with broad themes and just increasing depth over time).

I have no personal affiliation with Pathoma (wish I did so then I would be rich), but highly recommend this resource for first and second year. It is great to add on for histo first year, then each system for second year, followed by mad board review for Step 1. The guy has a sexy voice and makes path so easy. Don't get me wrong, I love Goljan too, but Pathoma is perfect for when you don't want to forward through 20+ mins of funny stories, want a visual picture and are pressed for time.

For those that have used boards boot camp. How did you use it effectively, while doing arguably more high yield resources like uworld, combank, first aid? Most people won't have time to do everything.

What kind of setup does BBC provide?

Do worry about preclinical grades in the sense that studying hard and learning the course material well can only benefit you when studying for Step 1. Sitting in lecture is worthless though, I agree.

I wish I had known that I wouldn't need to be on campus everyday because then I would've lived in a nicer, cheaper, and not so close to school area.

Grades matter for class rank; class rank matters for AOA (or whatever the DO equivalent is); AOA matters for residency and fellowship. Grades and class rank also matter if your school has merit scholarships and academic achievement awards. The scholarship I received coming into med school was increased recently because I am ranked highly in my class. People who say grades and class rank "mean crap" are people who have a class rank that doesn't matter (i.e. not in the top 25%).

Unless you have a family, there really is nothing better to do than study while in med school. You could go out and party and do fun stuff, but if you're paying for all this with loans then you're really shooting yourself in both feet because your grades and readiness for step 1 will be lower (leading to reduced career prospects) and your debt load will be higher.
People have different perspectives. Like isn't predictable and no one is guaranteed to live to be 80+ years old... Many want to enjoy life as much as possible regardless of where they are at school.

People have different perspectives. Like isn't predictable and no one is guaranteed to live to be 80+ years old... Many want to enjoy life as much as possible regardless of where they are at school.

ok.

This is advice for med school in general. No real advice for day one..just show up and get ready for the ride.

Pay attention, read and learn as much as you can along the way. You will benefit down the road from being well rounded and well read.. on boards and beyond.

Don't go to class if it's not going to benefit you, but keep up with the lectures. This can open up a little extra time to exercise and unwind.

Do the best you can on boards, even if it means your grades (or class rank) will suffer some. Boards are more important.

Have fun.. seriously

Don't be late to things. Don't have a bad attitude or be rude to anyone.

Reactions: 6 users
This is advice for med school in general. No real advice for day one..just show up and get ready for the ride.

Pay attention, read and learn as much as you can along the way. You will benefit down the road from being well rounded and well read.. on boards and beyond.

Don't go to class if it's not going to benefit you, but keep up with the lectures. This can open up a little extra time to exercise and unwind.

Do the best you can on boards, even if it means your grades (or class rank) will suffer some. Boards are more important.

Have fun.. seriously

So it's possible to hardcore study for boards and still slack with grades. I'm guessing because the class exams would be more specific.

So it's possible to hardcore study for boards and still slack with grades. I'm guessing because the class exams would be more specific.

It becomes a balance at the end of second year, but by that time your focus should be board review while still keeping up with (not necessarily acing) your course work.

Have fun.. seriously

This is honestly the best advice. Not from personal experience as I am still finishing OMS-I, but, every second year I talk to tells me this. You can do stellar in your classes but if you bomb boards, chances are it will be difficult to go where you want to go. Conversely, if you do mediocre in your classes but rock boards (by devoting more time for boards), you are a far more competitive applicant increase your chances of landing your residency of choice significantly.

Also, some people may disagree or not approve of this but.... the evolution through first year teaches you how cram massive amounts of information when necessary. During first semester, I remember me and most of my friends would be worried if we had an exam in 1.5 weeks. Now, 3-4 days between exams feels like an eternity. My point is, you become more efficient & you develop a sense of what material is important (even though most professor do generally have 3-4 questions per exam over specific minutia). This will help you next year should you decide on board prep>pre-clinical grades - which don't mean much anyway. I know many second years who started strict boards prep prior to the end of their first semester of OMS-II and just crammed for the class exams. They are the ones scoring 220+ on their practice exams while everyone who did purely school work and started board prep late is beginning to panic.

If you do stellar in all your classes and manage to bomb boards then something is wrong.

One thing I wish I did was being consistent with exercise at the beginning instead of finding excuses (read: drinking instead). JK.

Seriously though, it only takes like half an hour and you'll feel a lot better. You will look sexier in OPP lab. You also won't be a huge hypocrite when you tell all your patients to engage in 30 mins of physical activity 3-5 days a week.

Oh and another secret from a wizened upperclassman--study in the undergraduate library. Never, ever study in the library for your medical school. For me, that was my secret study spot for the first two years. It doesn't have to be the undergraduate library, just anywhere that's not the medical school's library. Things get too hectic around exam time with people freaking out, pulling all nighters and screwing around on FB. Studying away from that will help you to keep your mind right.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users