What's a GOOD/BAD GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

babowc

Per angusta ad augusta
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's considered a GOOD/DECENT/BAD GPA for applying to ds?

Not asking what works or in conjunction with other factors (DAT/EC/etc). but just in general, for applying to ds.

Members don't see this ad.

I think a lot of schools ask if you have above a 3.3. Many schools prefer a 3.5 or something around that area. But in reality, your DAT is what weighs the heaviest so excel in that and you should be fine. Best of luck!

Conventional wisdom states .
3.8+ is "Excellent"
3.5-3.8 is "Good"
3.3-3.5 is "Acceptable"
3.0-3.3 is "Low".
3.0 and below is "a death sentence"

Take all these with a grain of salt since it varies from school to school and based upon the rest of your application. There are some exceptional folks with GPAs slightly below 3 who ended up getting into some schools. Basically the above is the most common opinion among pre-dents, but it may not be exactly what adcoms think. The simple answer is just do your best and try to maximize your GPA.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Not asking what works or in conjunction with other factors (DAT/EC/etc). but just in general, for applying to ds.

It's really hard not to incorporate DAT when talking about GPA.

but IMO you should have one of these combinations before applying

sub 3.0, 22AA+
3.1-3.3 20AA+
3.5-3.7 18-19AA
3.9-4.0 17AA at least. 16 is pushing it and adcoms are gonna think you went to kindegarten

everybody goes to different school so you must also look at the DAT.

It's really hard not to incorporate DAT when talking about GPA.

but IMO you should have one of these combinations before applying

sub 3.0, 22AA+
3.1-3.3 20AA+
3.5-3.7 18-19AA
3.9-4.0 17AA at least. 16 is pushing it and adcoms are gonna think you went to kindegarten

everybody goes to different school so you must also look at the DAT.

I really hope you're right about that 3.1-3.3GPA and AA20+

ushaseos-- I think is right with his breakdown

LOL it's just an opinion. I am NOT even sure if I am right:laugh:

I think a lot of schools ask if you have above a 3.3. Many schools prefer a 3.5 or something around that area. But in reality, your DAT is what weighs the heaviest so excel in that and you should be fine. Best of luck!

Mmmmmm, debatable.

OP: A "bad" GPA is less than 3.3, a "good" GPA is above 3.5, and the range in between is neither good nor bad. DAT scores can help applicants with low GPAs stand out, but it can only do so much. A 27 AA is still hard pressed for admission if it's paired with a 2.5 GPA.

Last edited:
3.0 I would say is the cut off for applying. But hey, I know a guy who had a 2.7 GPA and he got into Pharmacy school..... so anything is possible if you are motivated and have the credentials. If you have anything lower.... I would probably do a masters to bump up the GPA.

3.0 I would say is the cut off for applying. But hey, I know a guy who had a 2.7 GPA and he got into Pharmacy school..... so anything is possible if you are motivated and have the credentials. If you have anything lower.... I would probably do a masters to bump up the GPA.
Pharmacy, not Dentistry. Donkeys can get into Pharmacy; its true, I've seen it.

Reactions: 1 user
Pharmacy, not Dentistry. Donkeys can get into Pharmacy; its true, I've seen it.

I see.... well my donkey pharmacist friends make $80/hr just sitting behind the counter playing world of warcraft while waiting for customers at Rite Aid and ordering Pharm Techs around.

Makes me wish I was a donkey sometimes. ;)

Reactions: 1 users

That is really just a guesstimate. I have a 3.4 GPA, 3.1 Sci GPA and 19AA/TS. I got interviews. ;)

The average GPA for all matriculating students is around 3.4-3.6. If possible, definitely shoot for higher. If your GPA is below the mean, then you may need something else to boost your application.

i think a good gpa is 3.7 or higher..but im probably very biased bc:

1 i have 3.73 and,
2 i think a high gpa is better than a high DAT

ok is 3.5
bad is anything under 3.3

That is really just a guesstimate. I have a 3.4 GPA, 3.1 Sci GPA and 19AA/TS. I got interviews. ;)

I agree. I have very similar stats, and I got interviews and have been accepted at couple of schools (some I'd never ever imagine to even call me), so for people in that "in-between" range, I think the ec's have a lot more pull in helping ADCOMs make a final decision, or so I think.

But the take home is, just try to do your best, and if your best doesn't get you in the first time applying, find out from each individual school where they think you can improve your application, and then just try again. This was my Plan B. Good luck to you :)

I see.... well my donkey pharmacist friends make $80/hr just sitting behind the counter playing world of warcraft while waiting for customers at Rite Aid and ordering Pharm Techs around.

Makes me wish I was a donkey sometimes. ;)
I have never heard of a pharmacist making 80 dollars an hour working retail. Even my uncle who has been doing it for 20 years only makes $65 dollars an hour. And they fill 5k prescription a week. I don't know how any business can afford to pay an employee $80 and hour (which equals 160K), a year and he's playing World Of Warcraft.

And if you go to the pharmacy thread, you will see tons of people who have SUB 3.0 GPA get into pharmacy school, and people who score in the 50% range on their composite; its like someone in dentistry scoring a 16 and having a 2.7 GPA get into dental school; its not happening, but it happens in pharmacy.

Reactions: 2 users
hey ! i calculted my GPA through WES free GPA calculator and i got a 3.5
now the thing is our minimum marks are 50 out of 100. and they have only 33/34/35 in their calculator option.
and secondly i am having approx. 70% marks in all my four years and so i find 3.5 to be really bad. it should be more i believe. can u help ?? :)
Conventional wisdom states .
3.8+ is "Excellent"
3.5-3.8 is "Good"
3.3-3.5 is "Acceptable"
3.0-3.3 is "Low".
3.0 and below is "a death sentence"

Take all these with a grain of salt since it varies from school to school and based upon the rest of your application. There are some exceptional folks with GPAs slightly below 3 who ended up getting into some schools. Basically the above is the most common opinion among pre-dents, but it may not be exactly what adcoms think. The simple answer is just do your best and try to maximize your GPA.

hey ! i calculted my GPA through WES free GPA calculator and i got a 3.5
now the thing is our minimum marks are 50 out of 100. and they have only 33/34/35 in their calculator option.
and secondly i am having approx. 70% marks in all my four years and so i find 3.5 to be really bad. it should be more i believe. can u help ?? :)

Why don't you just do it manually to be sure? Calculate the quality points for each credit hour, add them up and divide by the total no of credit hours to get your GPA.