What's a neurosurgery residency/fellowship and career like?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DRTJ

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've always wanted to be a neurosurgeon since I was 9, when I first heard of the job. I don't care that I don't get any downtime. I like everything about the brain, I like working insanely long hours and tedious, delicate surgeries. And I don't care about the salary at all. What aspects of neurosurgery are covered during residency? What's fellowship like? After completion of residency, can you go straight to private practice?

Members don't see this ad.

DRTJ,

Please forgive the previous reply; they do not teach manners in medical school. If you want a legitimate answer, please email me directly or through this site.

-Jason
[email protected]

Members don't see this ad :)
DRTJ,

Please forgive the previous reply; they do not teach manners in medical school. If you want a legitimate answer, please email me directly or through this site.

-Jason
[email protected]

Very interesting, Jason...

On Oct. 27, 2002, you were a first year at KCOM.

On April 19, 2005, you were a second year at KCOM.

Thus you took a year off between first and second year.

On April 4, 2007, you were a NS resident, who had ended up at a strong NS program in Michigan.

On May 16, 2007, you refer to a NS resident two years ahead of you, and imply that you are currently a resident.

Thus you were already AT LEAST near the end of your first year of NS residency on this day to make these comments.

How can a medical student take a year off after first year, jump right back into second year, graduate a year early, and become a NS resident during what should have been his 4th year?

Further, in another post you claim to start medical school when you are 25, and that you will finish your NS residency when you are 35. Hmmm... 4 years med school + 1 year break + 7 year residency + 25 y/o start = 37 y/o at completion of training...

Am I missing something here? You seem to be giving a lot of advice on these baords, inviting people to PM or email you, so I hope you are not pretending to be a doctor! Can you clarify this situation for me? If you're really an NS resident, I might have some questions for you. :luck:

DRTJ,

-Jason
[email protected]

Why not answer his questions right here? There are plenty of others out there (myself included) who are interested in neurosurg that would benefit from the information and the discussion that would likely follow. I mean, that's kinda the whole point of these fora, innit? :)

If you look through this thread there are a ton of links to similar questions to this.............yes after residency you can go do private practice.

Very interesting, Jason...

On Oct. 27, 2002, you were a first year at KCOM.

On April 19, 2005, you were a second year at KCOM.

Thus you took a year off between first and second year.

On April 4, 2007, you were a NS resident, who had ended up at a strong NS program in Michigan.

On May 16, 2007, you refer to a NS resident two years ahead of you, and imply that you are currently a resident.

Thus you were already AT LEAST near the end of your first year of NS residency on this day to make these comments.

How can a medical student take a year off after first year, jump right back into second year, graduate a year early, and become a NS resident during what should have been his 4th year?

Further, in another post you claim to start medical school when you are 25, and that you will finish your NS residency when you are 35. Hmmm... 4 years med school + 1 year break + 7 year residency + 25 y/o start = 37 y/o at completion of training...

Am I missing something here? You seem to be giving a lot of advice on these baords, inviting people to PM or email you, so I hope you are not pretending to be a doctor! Can you clarify this situation for me? If you're really an NS resident, I might have some questions for you. :luck:

CharlesLeeRay (Jackofknives in "disguise"), Fortunately I'm at a place in my life where I have no incentive to defend myself to you. Suffice it to say you obviously have too much time on your hands.

Stow, People like that are exactly why I like to discuss important matters in private. You'd think there would be an inherit level of maturity here, but as you can see, it's not always the case. I'm very happy to get emails or even phone calls from prospective neurosurgery people. PM or email anytime.

-Jason
[email protected]

PS: In medical school I was activated for the gulf war (thereby losing a year), is that okay?

I've always wanted to be a neurosurgeon since I was 9, when I first heard of the job. I don't care that I don't get any downtime. I like everything about the brain, I like working insanely long hours and tedious, delicate surgeries. And I don't care about the salary at all. What aspects of neurosurgery are covered during residency? What's fellowship like? After completion of residency, can you go straight to private practice?

DRTJ said:
I'm thinking of going into plastics once I finish college. What subspecialties are available to Plastic Surgeons? Which areas of the US are the best places to practice in? Do Plastic Surgeons treat burn victims?

Wow, you really are a smart one. Posted on the same day too.

CharlesLeeRay (Jackofknives in "disguise"), Fortunately I'm at a place in my life where I have no incentive to defend myself to you. Suffice it to say you obviously have too much time on your hands.

Stow, People like that are exactly why I like to discuss important matters in private. You'd think there would be an inherit level of maturity here, but as you can see, it's not always the case. I'm very happy to get emails or even phone calls from prospective neurosurgery people. PM or email anytime.

-Jason
[email protected]

PS: In medical school I was activated for the gulf war (thereby losing a year), is that okay?

You are flattering yourself.

Press Release - March 14, 2003
[SIZE=+1]World Record Holder and KCOM Student called up to Duty[/SIZE]
Kirksville, MO. - (Mar. 14, 2003) – XXXXX, a first year medical student at the Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine (KCOM), a division of A.T. Still University of Health Sciences (ATSU) has been deployed for active military duty. XXXX is in the Army Reserves.
XXXXX was notified on February 21 that he had been activated and officially reported to duty on February 26, 2003. XXXXX is from XXXXX.
"Our hospital unit is considered critical for the war effort and we're needed immediately," said XXXX. "It has gotten a little scary. I am going to trust in myself, the soldiers around me, and God to get me through it. With that said, I will serve proudly and with honor."
XXXX is a Sergeant in the 452nd division and is currently in Fort McCoy, Wis. for additional training while the soldiers await mobilization overseas near the end of the month. Dreyer plans to return to medical school as soon as his military service is complete.
A recent survey revealed that KCOM is second only to the Texas A&M University School of Medicine in the total number of graduates who are currently practicing in the armed forces.
Incidentally, XXXX holds a spot in the Guinness book of world records for 53 hours and 22 minutes of continuous movie watching. ACT II, the world's largest manufacturer of microwave popcorn, sponsored a 27 non-stop movie marathon weekend in May 2002 in Minneapolis as a fund-raiser for a local Boys and Girls Club.
Running continuously from Friday morning through the following Sunday evening, forsaking sleep, showers and unscheduled bathroom breaks, only 34 movie lovers braved the challenge; only 12 saw it through. XXXX said he drew upon his military training for battle fatigue, contracting facial muscles to keep his blood pumping. Food stashes were strategic too, XXXX said. XXXX was one of the 12 that saw their way into the world record books and landed their faces on boxes of ACT II microwave popcorn on grocery store shelves nationwide.
The A.T. Still University of Health Sciences includes the Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine, the School of Health Management, the Arizona School of Health Sciences and the Arizona School of Dentistry & Oral Health.

Press Release - March 14, 2003
[SIZE=+1]World Record Holder and KCOM Student called up to Duty[/SIZE]
Kirksville, MO. - (Mar. 14, 2003) –XXXXX, a first year medical student at the Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine (KCOM), a division of A.T. Still University of Health Sciences (ATSU) has been deployed for active military duty. XXXX is in the Army Reserves.
XXXX was notified on February 21 that he had been activated and officially reported to duty on February 26, 2003. XXX is from XXXX.
"Our hospital unit is considered critical for the war effort and we're needed immediately," said XXXX. "It has gotten a little scary. I am going to trust in myself, the soldiers around me, and God to get me through it. With that said, I will serve proudly and with honor."
XXXX is a Sergeant in the 452nd division and is currently in XXXX. for additional training while the soldiers await mobilization overseas near the end of the month. XXXX plans to return to medical school as soon as his military service is complete.
A recent survey revealed that KCOM is second only to the Texas A&M University School of Medicine in the total number of graduates who are currently practicing in the armed forces.
Incidentally, XXXX holds a spot in the Guinness book of world records for 53 hours and 22 minutes of continuous movie watching. ACT II, the world's largest manufacturer of microwave popcorn, sponsored a 27 non-stop movie marathon weekend in May 2002 in Minneapolis as a fund-raiser for a local Boys and Girls Club.
Running continuously from Friday morning through the following Sunday evening, forsaking sleep, showers and unscheduled bathroom breaks, only 34 movie lovers braved the challenge; only 12 saw it through. XXXX said he drew upon his military training for battle fatigue, contracting facial muscles to keep his blood pumping. Food stashes were strategic too, XXXX said. XXXX was one of the 12 that saw their way into the world record books and landed their faces on boxes of ACT II microwave popcorn on grocery store shelves nationwide.
The A.T. Still University of Health Sciences includes the Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine, the School of Health Management, the Arizona School of Health Sciences and the Arizona School of Dentistry & Oral Health.

Nice find!!!

The users here are reminded that posting information which identifies another user by name or other characteristics is a violation of the SDN Terms of Service agreement you signed when you registered.

The user in question has given his first name, but until such time as he decides to disclose his last name and location, it is not up to other users to do so for him.

We take these kinds of posts seriously and they therefore have been deleted. Please keep the discussion on topic and refrain from making personal comments about each other.

Thanks.

Dr. Cox is right. I’m also sorry I called DRTJ names. you have my sincere apology.

Further information has been provided that user greymew has identified himself in other posts and that the posts above which give his full name are not new information.

Unfortunately, I cannot recreate the posts and apologize to the users whose threads I edited.

However, I do think that in the future it is better to refrain from posts which identify other users, even if they have already done so themselves. People often change their mind about what they choose to reveal.

What was this thread about again?...

What is neurosurgery like? Well, its all about the brain, spine, and nerves. Residency is hard. Fellowship, also hard. Can enter private practice after residency.

Whether or not Jason is a real doctor? Apparently so.

Whether its ok to post articles identifying poster's identities? Apparently not.

Does DRTJ want to be in plastics and/or neurosurgery someday? Sure, but only if she/he can go into private practice and treat burn victims. Will work long hours with little pay just as long as he/she can do plastic surgery on the brain.

Just curious,

I am a current active duty military member. The paperwork for HPSP states that a member can not be pulled out of medical school or residency training for any active duty deployment. What service were you in and why did you get deployed?

Just curious,

I am a current active duty military member. The paperwork for HPSP states that a member can not be pulled out of medical school or residency training for any active duty deployment. What service were you in and why did you get deployed?

I'm not in the Health Professions Scholarship Program. I was an Army Reservist (E-6), combat medic/OR tech. They didn't care that I was in medical school at the time. I didn't mind sacrificing.

I'm not in the Health Professions Scholarship Program. I was an Army Reservist (E-6), combat medic/OR tech. They didn't care that I was in medical school at the time. I didn't mind sacrificing.

I have a friend in HPSP. They were 3 years ahead of me. I think she went to USHUS?? I thought all military people did that if they were going into medicine?