What's after the PhD portion of MD/PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

keforce

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings...

I am presently in a dire need of advice and suggestions from the esteemed collegues of this forum. I am currently in the fourth year of our school's MD/PhD program, which has a strict structure of 2+3+2. However, there's a strong possibility that I will finish my thesis before Christmas 2006 (i.e. 2+2.5+x). It is not likely to start M3 in January 2007. So, are there away rotations or away programs (perhaps NIH sponsored) out there that I may participate from Jan-May 2007 before the start of my M3 year? I appreciate your help.

Members don't see this ad.

If you just don't show up for 6 months will you still get your stipend? If the answer is yes then go on vacation. Or sit around and play Halo2 on your Xbox for 6 months. Or get yourself in wicked good shape at the gym/running/biking/mt. climbing. Or just drink.

Aside from about 6 weeks in your 4th year it's the last chance you'll have to have any fun.

Seriously,

BE

Oh, if only that were likely to happen! :laugh:

So we just had a meeting about this at our school b/c of a curriculum change. Without boring you with the details, the director said he'd probably be OK with paying for a free month or two, but couldn't imagine paying for more than that. Basically, try to plan things accordingly.

Still, 2 months ain't bad! :thumbup:

-X

brooklyneric said:
If you just don't show up for 6 months will you still get your stipend? If the answer is yes then go on vacation. Or sit around and play Halo2 on your Xbox for 6 months. Or get yourself in wicked good shape at the gym/running/biking/mt. climbing. Or just drink.

Aside from about 6 weeks in your 4th year it's the last chance you'll have to have any fun.

Seriously,

BE

Members don't see this ad :)
keforce said:
Greetings...

I am presently in a dire need of advice and suggestions from the esteemed collegues of this forum. I am currently in the fourth year of our school's MD/PhD program, which has a strict structure of 2+3+2. However, there's a strong possibility that I will finish my thesis before Christmas 2006 (i.e. 2+2.5+x). It is not likely to start M3 in January 2007. So, are there away rotations or away programs (perhaps NIH sponsored) out there that I may participate from Jan-May 2007 before the start of my M3 year? I appreciate your help.

Same thing happened to a fellow classmate of mine who defended in 3.5 yr (December 2005). She set up a sweet 6 mos. post-doc. If you do a post-doc, you'll make more money than the student stipend during those months ;)

Good luck :luck:

Sweet!

Does anyone know how likely or common it is for these short-term post-docs? It seems more like a short-term tech position. Techs usually make even more money than post-docs! $$$

-X

mdphd2b said:
Same thing happened to a fellow classmate of mine who defended in 3.5 yr (December 2005). She set up a sweet 6 mos. post-doc. If you do a post-doc, you'll make more money than the student stipend during those months ;)

Good luck :luck:

xanthines said:
Sweet!

Does anyone know how likely or common it is for these short-term post-docs? It seems more like a short-term tech position. Techs usually make even more money than post-docs! $$$

-X

Not sure how "common" it is. It just depends on your timing in defending and lining up a position somewhere, plus some luck along the way!

FYI...I do know of some students here at Pitt who have PURPOSEFULLY planned for an early defense to do a "mini-post-doc" before joining MS3. In my Dept, you're paid as a post-doc once you defend, even if you opt to do the post-doc in the same lab! But some people believe it's not a "real" post-doc unless it's in a new lab, so I would ask other students in your progam.

I don't think it's that common, but it's somethng to consider if you don't have other options.
:luck:

Our program is structured such that you can join the MS3 year half-way through if your defense comes at that time of year. (Incidentally, no 2+3+2, we're in for the same time as any other grad student, and therefore could finish anytime of the year.) On the other hand, if you start the year in July as I did, then you graduate in December. My mentor was generous enough to let me return to the lab for a "mini" post-doc, which has mostly consisted of cleaning up old issues and helping finish other papers in progress for some authorship credit. Of course, that all depends on your relationship with your mentor. Another option I've heard tossed around is identifying someone at the institution at which you'd like to do residency and set something up, which gives you a foot in the door and a strong advocate come selection time. I'm not a real fan of this road, however, because it requires a lot of foresight on your part and the possibility of moving twice in 6 months.

Well, since you can't drink on the school's dime for 6 months, the mini-post-doc seems the best way to go. If you like your thesis lab and the PI has the cash, ask if you can stay on for awhile. It's not uncommon for straight PhD's to do that while they finish things up and take some time to find a post-doc they really like.

BE

Through our program, it is possible to get stipend through all 7 years. Stipend ends with the completion of thesis. Given that, it is possible to write up a thesis and present a dissertation any time along the way, probably in the 3rd year of the graduate portion, and finalize the thesis M4 year. With that said, it would be hard-pressed to be receiving stipend while working as a post-doc somewhere else. I guess I'm kinda looking for more of an away rotation opportunity and be registered as a medical student instead of a graduate student. Our school is pretty strigent about classification. You are either a graduate student or a medical student, but not both.