What's Carib MD or Asian MBBS worth? Asia vs Carib

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shoushu

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If an American citizen couldn't get in the U.S. mainland schools, what's Carib MD , Asian M.B.B.S, or Eastern Europe "M.D." (don't know if they use MD, MBBS, Ph.D, DO or what) worth?

What's the pecking order when residency program directors select, Example: if twin brothers, one went to Big 4, one went to a Top 20 med school in China? In PDs' eyes, is there definitive ranking? If everything else being equal, where's the best?

Is the Big 4 > other caribbean > China and India = Eastern Europe > unknown countries?

I couldn't find definitive lists of pros and cons for these.

I hope we can come up with a good one. i'll start

Carib Pro: U.S. clerkships in semesters 5-10, in affiliated American hospitals. Experience in the US health system.

Con: More expensive than schools in developing countries. As much $$$ as U.S. schools, or in cases of SGU, Ross, may cost more

China, Indian, Philippines, Poland med schools etc Pro: Less expensive. A few thousand $ for a whole year of tuition (if in local currency like Renminbi (RMB)/yuan, Rupee).

Con: Takes long. These are mostly 5 or 6 year programs.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If an American citizen couldn't get in the U.S. mainland schools, what's Carib MD , Asian M.B.B.S, or Eastern Europe "M.D." (don't know if they use MD, MBBS, Ph.D, DO or what) worth?

What's the pecking order when residency program directors select, Example: if twin brothers, one went to Big 4, one went to a Top 20 med school in China? In PDs' eyes, is there definitive ranking? If everything else being equal, where's the best?

Is the Big 4 > other caribbean > China and India = Eastern Europe > unknown countries?

I couldn't find definitive lists of pros and cons for these.

I hope we can come up with a good one. i'll start

Carib Pro: U.S. clerkships in semesters 5-10, in affiliated American hospitals. Experience in the US health system.

Con: More expensive than schools in developing countries. As much $$$ as U.S. schools, or in cases of SGU, Ross, may cost more

China, Indian, Philippines, Poland med schools etc Pro: Less expensive. A few thousand $ for a whole year of tuition (if in local currency like Renminbi (RMB)/yuan, Rupee).

Con: Takes long. These are mostly 5 or 6 year programs.

The pecking order is and always has been the same.

US MD>US DO>>US IMG>=<FMG

The variation in the last 2 is probably the highest. One way of looking at it is that an FMG from a foreign country who went to the best medical school of his home country, is the cream of the crop. He's the best that country has to offer, hence PDs do like to take such people, even if that means sponsoring a visa (J-1s aren't that much of a hassle). On the other hand, they look at US-IMGs and think, this person wasn't smart enough to make it to a US school, why pick him ?

Now the other side. PDs also think, why take a foreign trained non US citizen over a US citizen. I mean it is the US health care system we're talking about. So unless the FMG has significantly better stats and the program is FMG-friendly, a citizen does get preference (rightly so). But does that mean that US-IMGs can be trained in any part of the world and have equal footing ? No. Some international schools are more reputable than others. So, where you attend medical school also factors in.

IMO, a US citizen should try and do whatever it takes to stay in his home country. If a desperate need does arise, the big 4 may be a good choice (as you mentioned, US cores and electives go a long way). Other than that, all places are more or less equal. Historically, good carib schools have been preparing students for the US healthcare system. Schools in India, China, Russia etc are not. They are preparing you to be a doctor in those countries.

Last edited:
The pecking order is and always has been the same.

US MD>US DO>>US IMG>=<FMG

The variation in the last 2 is probably the highest. One way of looking at it is that an FMG from a foreign country who went to the best medical school of his home country, is the cream of the crop. He's the best that country has to offer, hence PDs do like to take such people, even if that means sponsoring a visa (J-1s aren't that much of a hassle). On the other hand, they look at US-IMGs and think, this person wasn't smart enough to make it to a US school, why pick him ?

Now the other side. PDs also think, why take a foreign trained non US citizen over a US citizen. I mean it is the US health care system we're talking about. So unless the FMG has significantly better stats and the program is FMG-friendly, a citizen does get preference (rightly so). But does that mean that US-IMGs can be trained in any part of the world and have equal footing ? No. Some international schools are more reputable than others. So, where you attend medical school also factors in.

IMO, a US citizen should try and do whatever it takes to stay in his home country. If a desperate need does arise, the big 4 may be a good choice (as you mentioned, US cores and electives go a long way). Other than that, all places are more or less equal. Historically, good carib schools have been preparing students for the US healthcare system. Schools in India, China, Russia etc are not. They are preparing you to be a doctor in those countries.

I would like to add that when it comes to FMG/IMGs its really more complicated than that. In most cases a DO degree will clearly be a better option. But not all foreign medical schools lack prestige. Schools in Australia, Canada, Great Britain, and Ireland are all highly regarded world wide for example. Its also quite difficult to get into medical schools in these countries, so if you cannot get into a US MD school, chances are you will not get into medical school in these places either.

My personal story is that I wanted to work in a foreign country, Australia. And I went to an Australian school despite getting into 2 medical schools in the States. That was my choice because I knew my chances are better if I went to a local medical school. It worked out well.

As far as Caribbean vs Asian MBBS, it will not make much of an impact. The Caribbean will at least have US clinical rotations.