What's cool about urology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drivesmecraazee

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, Im a costarrican MSII, I have plenty of time til I get to choose a residency so Im just asking this out of curiosity, just to know. Im not sure wich speciality I'll apply, It's just not possible for me to know this since I haven't started my rotations yet, I think I like ENT and Cards, but they're both very different from each other and I don't know wich will I enjoy more between medicine and surgery. One thing's for sure: I am NOT doing my residency in my homecountry.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, Im a costarrican MSII, I have plenty of time til I get to choose a residency so Im just asking this out of curiosity, just to know. Im not sure wich speciality I'll apply, It's just not possible for me to know this since I haven't started my rotations yet, I think I like ENT and Cards, but they're both very different from each other and I don't know wich will I enjoy more between medicine and surgery. One thing's for sure: I am NOT doing my residency in my homecountry.

Can't speak for others, but what I like about Uro is - Like ENT, its one of the few surgical specialty with a bunch of medical management. They kind of have their own whole system. Get to play with all of the new cool toys! Great variety of procedures and lots of them - small procedures, mid sized... and some big whacks! And, you can tailor your career to suit your desire for cases big and small. Urology has done a great job of staying "on the cutting edge" of technology. Great patient population (IMO) - few of your patients will spend a week in the ICU after you work on them. Like other surgical specialties, you get to hand out some pretty dramatic and immediate improvements to patients. Lifestyle better (again IMO) than most other surgical specialties... meaning, hopefully I will get to see more of my kids soccer games than my counterparts in Cards or ortho... etc.

Plus, the future is BRIGHT! Great reimbursements (although, like all the others - shrinking). Options out the wazoo as to where and how you will practice after residency. Huge demand for Urologists.

Big reason for me also is that there seems to be a personality within uro that I like. Seems to have more of a laid back feel.

Penis jokes 24/7...

I didnt like urology during medical school rotations. I don't like it now. For me, if I had to choose this or podiatry, I would choose to be a proctologist. Hope that helps!

Good Luck!

I have found urologists to be almost universally fun to be around. they generally seem to enjoy their patients and vice versa. It is a good environment and pays well to boot. It is always helpful to try to do a rotation to see if you fit in.