Whats enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sublimation

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok this seems like a really dumb question but please bare with me. The only science that i feel weak in is the biology. I have a good grip on the systems and the micro and cell bio, embryo, genetics, however the ecology and taxonomy are my weak areas, i read through kaplan and it seemed good i kno whats in kaplan well. However, i went through cliffs and i feel like its a bit over the top. I just dont know how much will be sufficient. Everyone says know everything. in other words, this sounds stupid, but whats everything? is it everything from kaplan? or an ecology text? or cliffs? i have two bio books and both go into depth on diff. levels. In other words what do yall think is sufficient?

Members don't see this ad.

the only way, again the only way to find out is to test yourself. do some MC questions either from your bio texts or online websites and time yourself.

I read both KAPLAN and Cliffs and I didn't notice much difference between the two. Perhaps, Cliffs goes into too much details when it comes to plants, but the rest of classifications seemed pretty much the same. Read KAPAN and Cliff if you have time. Otherwise, what's in KAPLAN should be sufficient.
Good Luck:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
i think the taxonomy chapter of cliffs is worth reading and studying. i was just waiting for that stupid nit-picky question about fungi or protista or something along those lines, but never got a question like that. if you do get one and know it, it will feel great.

I read both KAPLAN and Cliffs and I didn't notice much difference between the two. Perhaps, Cliffs goes into too much details when it comes to plants, but the rest of classifications seemed pretty much the same. Read KAPAN and Cliff if you have time. Otherwise, what's in KAPLAN should be sufficient.
Good Luck:thumbup:

I totally disagree. I don't think Kaplan covers nearly as much as Cliff's does. As the poster above me said, you may get that one random stupid question about a Rhizopod or something that is not in Kaplan BB.

I didn't study Cliff's because I didn't get a chance, but I looked at it 2 days before the test and there was a lot of information in there that I came across on practice tests that wasn't covered in Kaplan. Granted, I don't recall how much of that translated to the actual DAT, but I think if you want to make a solid plan, you should at least read through Cliff's. You're inevitably going to get info over the top with that, but more is better than not enough. If you have time, I think it's worth your while.

I totally disagree. I don't think Kaplan covers nearly as much as Cliff's does. As the poster above me said, you may get that one random stupid question about a Rhizopod or something that is not in Kaplan BB.

I didn't study Cliff's because I didn't get a chance, but I looked at it 2 days before the test and there was a lot of information in there that I came across on practice tests that wasn't covered in Kaplan. Granted, I don't recall how much of that translated to the actual DAT, but I think if you want to make a solid plan, you should at least read through Cliff's. You're inevitably going to get info over the top with that, but more is better than not enough. If you have time, I think it's worth your while.
If one has time, sure! they should read through Cliffs. However, if time is scarce, then I think KAPLAN's taxonomy section gives the reader a good idea about various levels of classification. Personally, if I don't have time, I'm not gonna memorize all the taxonomy details mentioned in Cliffs just to get that one random question right. I try to get a general idea by reading KAPLAN. Of course, you're more than welcome to disagree with my point.

Yeah in the interest of time, go with Kaplan. But I think if you're planning in advance, knowing what other people tell you, you should plan to study Cliff's (or Barrons for that matter). I came across at least 8 questions over the course of 3 Topscore tests with information that I don't even remembering seeing in Kaplan.