What's Going on with Ochem...Am I Missing Something Here?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yanks26dmb

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Granted, I'm only in week 3, and we've only covered up to spectrometry, acid-base reactions, and resonance structures...but this stuff is incredibly easy. I was expecting things to get very rough, very fast. I know things are getting harder as we get more into it...but the stuff we're doing now is like Bio 101 easy.

Did anyone else find the beginning of ochem incredibly easy...or maybe my brain just works better with regards to ochem..?

And just as a disclaimer..I was very nervous heading into ochem this semester, so I've been studying like 2-3 hours a day...this could be it too...

Members don't see this ad.

Dude, you're a natural. Lol jk, I don't know, but if you find it easy, keep up with your studying and get that A. Don't worry about if other people had a hard time! Sometimes what some people find difficult could be manageable to others. If you really want to see the difficulty of the future topics just read a chapter or two ahead!! Keep up the good work!

Granted, I'm only in week 3, and we've only covered up to spectrometry, acid-base reactions, and resonance structures...but this stuff is incredibly easy. I was expecting things to get very rough, very fast. I know things are getting harder as we get more into it...but the stuff we're doing now is like Bio 101 easy.

Did anyone else find the beginning of ochem incredibly easy...or maybe my brain just works better with regards to ochem..?

And just as a disclaimer..I was very nervous heading into ochem this semester, so I've been studying like 2-3 hours a day...this could be it too...

Ochem I is extremely easy until you get to SN1/SN2/E1/E2 reactions. You won't get there until the end of the term.
Ochem II is where most people struggle. You'll see. You are not even close yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
No, this sounds about right. The beginning stuff is not too difficult, but things get a little more tricky when you have to do synthesis problems, memorize mechanisms for seemingly endless reactions, etc

Reactions: 1 user
Of course ochem is easy during the gen chem portion. You haven't done any ochem yet!

Reactions: 7 users
I absolutely loved ochem, i devoured it. While I wouldn't say it was "easy" and there were plenty of very difficult concepts, alot of my classmates made a big deal about it when I thought it wasn't worth the hype. I found that some of my classmates really struggled picturing 3D structures of some compounds (a huge plus when dealing with reactions) which came easily to me, so that may have helped. Yeah, the gen chem stuff is review, but honestly I felt that ochem is understanding basic electrochemical/physical principles that you apply to larger, more complex structures as you go on. Good luck, hope it continues to go well for you!

Even so, just keep at it, do practice problems, don't get lazy and fall behind, playing catch up sucks especially when the material gets tough.

Reactions: 1 users
It is hard for many people, but comes easy to others... I wish you the best of luck in ending in the latter category.

I didn't think Ochem II was harder, but it was trickier. You need to understand how to differentiate between two reactions given the same reactants but different reaction conditions. It's different from OchemI because OCI was more about memorization than anything else.

Pretty much everything you wrote mirrors how I felt when I was taking Orgo. Week after week, I kept asking myself "OK when will it hit me and become as difficult as I've heard it to be?"
Also, I was very nervous about it going in so I studied a great deal just about everyday, and this definitely made a difference looking back and seeing how some of my friends did. Just keep at it like others have said and make sure you keep putting time into it. If you have a solid foundation (especially acids and bases, which my professor emphasized), SN1/2 and E1/2 shouldn't be too difficult.
Good luck

You haven't gotten into the real stuff yet. You're in the conceptual portion. Reactions put theory to practice. That's where most people falter. As you study, make connections between the topics. Good luck.

Don't get complacent.
This is the best advice for you. Every class starts off easy, but becomes increasingly difficult. Just make sure to keep up your study habits. 2-3 hours a day is good but don't burn yourself out!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was in the same boat man. I kept hearing horror stories about Orgo and when I was taking it, it felt like a breeze until at the end. Synthesis is what gets people and just knowing how electrons flow. It will catch up in Ochem 2. I like it though, it's fun to use your own creativeness to make products in different ways.

hehe op, I remember this a few months back. However as everyone has said, this is the time to get ahead.

I've been an SI for ochem for 2 years now (both first and second semester), and in my opinion ochem doesn't every really get any harder, it just keeps adding. What people find difficult is that it's very cumulative, and you can't just forget everything from the previous exam when you move on to the next. 2-3 hours a day is more than enough to beat the vast majority of your classmates probably.

This is the best advice for you. Every class starts off easy, but becomes increasingly difficult. Just make sure to keep up your study habits. 2-3 hours a day is good but don't burn yourself out!

seriously? 2-3 hrs a day, everyday is beyond overkill for ochem 1. I studied less cumulative for grad level synthetic ochem classes.

for ochem 1, just make outlines of all the important concepts, keep tabs on all the reactions you learn, and do a lot of practice problems so you get familiar with the tricky things.

seriously? 2-3 hrs a day, everyday is beyond overkill for ochem 1. I studied less cumulative for grad level synthetic ochem classes.

for ochem 1, just make outlines of all the important concepts, keep tabs on all the reactions you learn, and do a lot of practice problems so you get familiar with the tricky things.

Well, some people need more time with the material..as for me I studied a couple days before each test and ended up with a b in the class...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's only one explanation. OP must be a genius. Such smart.

lol you answered your own question op. study 3 hours a day for any undergrad course and it will seem easy.

Pretty sure you don't get to say a subject is easy during the 3rd week of class. It's a year long course.

Also, most people wouldn't consider a class you have to study for 3 hours a day as easy.

Reactions: 1 user
I found the beginning pretty easy too and mostly review. But still, you need that foundation to move on. Second unit will be about the same maybe a tad more difficult. Last unit is the most challenging...that and the final b/c that's when you do all the reactions.

Also get in the habit of studying 3 hours/ day (but no more , unless a week before test) for your classes. This will create a good habit, since in med school you will definitely need to study constantly and efficiently.

ochem isnt that hard, it's just extremely boring to most and there's a lot of it

I found the majority of first semester of organic easy. Mostly because it was a lot of gen chem review. Then about 2/3 the way in, we started reactions/mechanisms, which is the heart of organic chemistry. And it went downhill. I still maintained my A but it took a lot more work and extra practice problems. And second semester is mostly reactions reactions reactions. So, yes it may seem easy now but it will surely pick up. Not impossible, but just paying attention in lecture and reviewing notes the night before an exam won't cut it.

I was surprised at my success in it, too. Because everyone is like "SCARY SCARY OCHEM - PREMED WEED OUT COURSE RUN FAR AWAY". Even at it's toughest sections, it really isn't THAT bad.

Stereochemistry at tetrahedral centers should be coming up soon. Enantiomers, diastereomers, epimers etc.
that was the most confusing part for me. Still came out with an A.
I personally think synthesis problems are fun to work through. It's like a puzzle.

Either ya'll are all super smart, my organic department was exceptionally evil, or I just have a mental block for this subject. I survived organic with B's, but it took everything I had. I had a 4.0 without too much effort before those classes, but organic was the single most humbling experience I've had. I've never felt so stupid on a daily basis. To this day, I don't think there is any amount of studying that could have resulted in me getting A's for those classes. So happy to be done with those. I will say that Biochem is turning out to be much more enjoyable. :)

Either ya'll are all super smart, my organic department was exceptionally evil, or I just have a mental block for this subject. I survived organic with B's, but it took everything I had. I had a 4.0 without too much effort before those classes, but organic was the single most humbling experience I've had. I've never felt so stupid on a daily basis. To this day, I don't think there is any amount of studying that could have resulted in me getting A's for those classes. So happy to be done with those. I will say that Biochem is turning out to be much more enjoyable. :)

Professors can also contribute to the level of difficulty. It's different at every school. Personally, while still difficult, organic is a cakewalk compared to calculus based physics at my school. I know how you feel with the "feeling stupid on a daily basis". I leave every physics lecture, exam, homework, thinking "I have absolutely no idea what is going on" and worked my tail off to receive a B+ first semester. Hopefully we learned more than we think, though :(

Reactions: 1 users
All our ochem test averages except the first one were around the 45-55% range and same for all our ochem II tests so far. Can agree it also depends on how the professor write the test.

How are you guys graded. My professor grades on a bell curve and only top 13 percent of class get a's. Next 20 percent get b's etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Intro is much easier than later material but in my opinion it was all no harder than maybe a 4/10. If it's easy don't slack and just stay ahead

Pretty sure you don't get to say a subject is easy during the 3rd week of class. It's a year long course.

Also, most people wouldn't consider a class you have to study for 3 hours a day as easy.

QFT.

we've only covered up to spectrometry, acid-base reactions, and resonance structures...but this stuff is incredibly easy.

That's because that stuff isn't Ochem. It's the Gen Chem review every Ochem class does. I'm a little scared for you since it takes 3 hours of studying each day to understand Gen Chem, but then again the basics are pretty important, so best of luck and I'm sure you'll be fine. Just get ready to memorize a lot.

The sequence of Ochem (as you described) is very abnormal. For the typical Ochem course, you start with nomenclature, hybridization, predicting organic compound/reactions, determine stability of intermediates. I'm not sure what your Ochem is doing :O perhaps different order. Update in a few month and let me know

Got a 98 on the first exam...high B on the second exam...F on the third exam...might as well not even shown up for the final. The last two exams took me from a solid A to a high C. The funny part, I didn't struggle-I was just unprepared for the difficulty of the third exam and it got into my head. It also depends upon your professor-I had the best professor at my school but he wrote horrific exams (which in my opinion takes the best professor thing down a few notches). I could have waited and taken the most difficult professor-his exams are still horrid but most students are better prepared as the entire course is presented in a more complicated fashion.

Then you have other schools that have easier or multiple choice exams...I remember prepping for some OChemII exams by looking up questions from other institutions-even North Carolina state schools, quite a wide gap of difficulty levels. I'm sure after the dust settles, all is fair in love and ochem but not all professors make their exams straight forward and easy.

I sincerely hope you do well, but I wouldn't make a habit of posting how easy a course is when it is widely known that most struggle with the material-makes you seem kind of annoying (and I know you aren't because you are a cool guy) and to that, I hope you fail your final exam and make a high B. Hahaha, just kidding;)

The sequence of Ochem (as you described) is very abnormal. For the typical Ochem course, you start with nomenclature, hybridization, predicting organic compound/reactions, determine stability of intermediates. I'm not sure what your Ochem is doing :O perhaps different order. Update in a few month and let me know

Just wanted to check back in to this thread..

So things definitely got harder. I did end up cutting my studying back from 3 hours a day (I'm doing MCAT studying too which ate away at my time)...I'd say I'm doing like 5-8 hours a week now, unless I have a test coming up. My grades slowly crept down on each test - A on first, high B on second, low C on third...ended up getting a tutor and bounced back with a B on my fourth. As it stands now, I'm 2.5% away from an A, so assuming I perform strong on my class final and ACS final, I should get that A.

As far as our sequence went, we did the stuff I described, then moved into stereoisomerism, SN1/SN2, E1/E2, addition rxn involving alkenes, then alkynes, then started doing a lot of synthesis...final is on alcohols, radical reactions. Nomenclature was learned for each subsection, i.e. nomenclature for alcohols, alkenes, etc. rather than all at once.

Funny thing is, my tutor is an ochem TA over at UCSD, and says the tests my community college professor is giving us are harder than the ones the UCSD students get. Odd how that works, but hopefully this will prepare me well for the MCAT and ochem II.

So for everyone getting ready to start this class over the summer or next fall...try not to be as nervous as I was. I found this class challenging, but honestly, thought gen chem II was incredibly more difficult than ochem I.

I took my final the other day, it wasn't too bad. Hopefully I get an A in the course. It would just make my summer.

Good luck on your final!

so assuming I perform strong on my class final and ACS final, I should get that A.

It's an anecdote, but the ACS final was mindnumbingly simple compared to my class's OChem exams. A large portion of our class scored well into the 90th percentile.

unny thing is, my tutor is an ochem TA over at UCSD, and says the tests my community college professor is giving us are harder than the ones the UCSD students get. Odd how that works, but hopefully this will prepare me well for the MCAT and ochem II.

I've tutored before, a lot of tutors say this and I'm not sure why. I have heard it said that about general A&P courses compared to a medical A&P, too.

Just wanted to check back in to this thread..

So things definitely got harder. I did end up cutting my studying back from 3 hours a day (I'm doing MCAT studying too which ate away at my time)...I'd say I'm doing like 5-8 hours a week now, unless I have a test coming up. My grades slowly crept down on each test - A on first, high B on second, low C on third...ended up getting a tutor and bounced back with a B on my fourth. As it stands now, I'm 2.5% away from an A, so assuming I perform strong on my class final and ACS final, I should get that A.

As far as our sequence went, we did the stuff I described, then moved into stereoisomerism, SN1/SN2, E1/E2, addition rxn involving alkenes, then alkynes, then started doing a lot of synthesis...final is on alcohols, radical reactions. Nomenclature was learned for each subsection, i.e. nomenclature for alcohols, alkenes, etc. rather than all at once.

Funny thing is, my tutor is an ochem TA over at UCSD, and says the tests my community college professor is giving us are harder than the ones the UCSD students get. Odd how that works, but hopefully this will prepare me well for the MCAT and ochem II.

So for everyone getting ready to start this class over the summer or next fall...try not to be as nervous as I was. I found this class challenging, but honestly, thought gen chem II was incredibly more difficult than ochem I.

That depends on which UCSD ochem prof he's talking about. THere are definitely some that are extremely easy, but 1 or 2 that are harder

O-Chem hype is often blown out of proportion. It is a tough course, but not impossible to get a great grade in. Just keep up with it, don't fall behind (this is the worst thing you can do). You're covering a lot of material that isn't necessarily conceptually difficult or anything, but it is large in quantity, so it is best to review a little every single day.

I thought O-Chem was a fair course, mostly easy, with few difficult concepts here and there.