whats high yield for neuro?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wAyRadikull

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What kind of things should I be focusing on? We had a really bad neuro curriculum at my school and I didn't get a chance to learn the material well enough and just barely made it through. So now, come board study time, I'm having a really hard time.

I'm going through kaplan neuro w/ the videos and there seems to WAY too much detail and I've having a bit of a situation in deciphering whats important and whats not. Neuro really is not my strong suit and I hate being this weak in a subject. I'm pretty strong on nervous system pathology and CNS drugs, but the actual neuroanatomy portion is killing me.

Any advice on how I can tackle this in an efficient way, I really cannot afford to spend some 4-5 days on just neuroanatomy. Or is it important enough for me to dedicate a decent amount of time and learn the little minute details?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sure there's a decent amount of variation among different tests but I pretty much used the neuro content in first aid as a general guide and didn't have muh problem with neuro on the exam. I had annotated and had a fair bit of my own notes and such added to first aid but as far as neuro goes I don't remeber any huge gapping holes. I do remeber adding a fair bit to their dopamine/substantial nigra diagram to make it a little more clear for me, along with a few clarifications in some other pathways.

Know the major spinal tracts and the associated lesions. I don't really recall being asked about some of the really minor tracts.

Know general location of cranial nerves and their nuclei. As far as the nuclei goes I made good use of the simple table first aid had regarding the nuclei and whether they were in midbrain, pons, or brain stem. Had a couple questions involving a brain lesion (stroke or bleed) with a specific cranial nerve finding that narrowed the answer down to one location.

Vision pathway is important.... Lesions along the optic nerve/tract and how that would impact visual fields. Sympathetic and parasympathetic innervation to eye.

Blood supply and the brain regions impacted by lesions in specific vessels.

Inner ear structure and function.

Basic imaging.... Had a couple images of brain CT or MRI and then asked to identify the structure involved or deficit you'd expect to see.

Those were just of the major areas I recall right now and what I think are definite high yield subjects. I don't really think I was asked much if anything about detailed histology of specific regions (ex: hippocampus, retina).

Any advice on how I can tackle this in an efficient way, I really cannot afford to spend some 4-5 days on just neuroanatomy.

HY Neuro <3

Going at a little bit of a slower pace, it would take 2 days to tackle and grasp some of the particulars. Really concentrate on it. They snuck so much Neuro on my Step 1 I thought a fist was gonna pop out of the screen, punch me in the face, and give me a Bell's Palsy.

Lesion after lesion after lesion after lesion. Holy neuro. Don't take your chances just memorizing minutia from First Aid. Make connections, integrate information, and repeat. It'll be a labored 2 days, but it'll be worth it. Maybe highlight important stuff in the book after reading the chapter that you can then review a day or two before test day.

They snuck so much Neuro on my Step 1 I thought a fist was gonna pop out of the screen, punch me in the face, and give me a Bell's Palsy.

Lesion after lesion after lesion after lesion. Holy neuro. Don't take your chances just memorizing minutia from First Aid. Make connections, integrate information, and repeat. It'll be a labored 2 days, but it'll be worth it. Maybe highlight important stuff in the book after reading the chapter that you can then review a day or two before test day.

Damn it lol. I guess theres no other way around it other than to deal with my neurophobia haha. I have a copy of high yield neuro so I'll give that a try in the next day or so, hopefully I won't have to move my schedule around too much. Thanks for the "pick-me-up" and guidance as to what I should focus on, I really needed it haha.