What's my best bet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jayashae

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's my situation:

I will graduate undergrad with ~3.0 cGPA. My fall semester GPA was 3.75 (5 bio courses + 1 anthro course) and this last semester I have 6 total classes but only 2 bio and I'm confident I can pull a 3.9+ so I'll definitely have upward trend.

No real excuse for my poor grades earlier on; didn't take my future seriously and decided to clam down about a year ago and focus on my career.

I'm at an intersection as far as mapping out what I should do. I have not taken the DATs, and my goal was to work in a research lab for 2 years or so and in the meantime take courses from that school as post-bacc to show that I've changed on top of my last year GPA. But I'm not sure if this is as logical as taking time off after graduation to study my butt off for the DATs and then apply to a post-bacc program.

I would appreciate any recommendation or opinion on what you think is the best route. Obviously finances is a big issue, but I'm willing to take out loans if it means I can achieve my career goals.

thanks

edit: my major is biology with chem minor and I'll have taken all my pre-reqs by the time I graduate for most dental schools; so I can't "dramatically" change my science gpa because I've already taken these pre-reqs.

Members don't see this ad.

Here's my situation:

I will graduate undergrad with ~3.0 cGPA. My fall semester GPA was 3.75 (5 bio courses + 1 anthro course) and this last semester I have 6 total classes but only 2 bio and I'm confident I can pull a 3.9+ so I'll definitely have upward trend.

No real excuse for my poor grades earlier on; didn't take my future seriously and decided to clam down about a year ago and focus on my career.

I'm at an intersection as far as mapping out what I should do. I have not taken the DATs, and my goal was to work in a research lab for 2 years or so and in the meantime take courses from that school as post-bacc to show that I've changed on top of my last year GPA. But I'm not sure if this is as logical as taking time off after graduation to study my butt off for the DATs and then apply to a post-bacc program.

I would appreciate any recommendation or opinion on what you think is the best route. Obviously finances is a big issue, but I'm willing to take out loans if it means I can achieve my career goals.

thanks

edit: my major is biology with chem minor and I'll have taken all my pre-reqs by the time I graduate for most dental schools; so I can't "dramatically" change my science gpa because I've already taken these pre-reqs.

Would you please be more clear in what your alternative options are? Maybe list them alternative 1, 2, 3...etc.

I want to go to dental school badly so yeah.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would you please be more clear in what your alternative options are? Maybe list them alternative 1, 2, 3...etc.

like 1) do research and take classes while I'm at it and do well in those classes, find time to study/take DAT
2) dont do research and study my tail off over the summer for DAT and then apply to a post-bacc program
3) something you propose?

I'm not sure of my sGPA, but I'm assuming its a tad lower than my cGPA

like 1) do research and take classes while I'm at it and do well in those classes, find time to study/take DAT
2) dont do research and study my tail off over the summer for DAT and then apply to a post-bacc program
3) something you propose?

I'm not sure of my sGPA, but I'm assuming its a tad lower than my cGPA

Generally, for a well rounded competitive candidacy to dental school you'll need:
-science GPA >3.5
-DAT scores 19+ all categories
-good LORs
-lots of dentist shadowing hours
-compelling personal statement on application

there is some trade off in each of the above categories (classic example is awesome DAT 21+ in all categories to outweigh bottom of the barrel science GPA 3.1 or something)

things like research, extracurricular volunteer, and work experience will help if they are appropriate for dentistry and/or the particular school you apply to. I think some particular schools, for example, love research experience. Some especially love volunteer experience. And some love certain non traditional applicants who bring experience in another profession to the table.

According to the numbers I have reviewed over the years, about 1 out of 3 applicants is accepted somewhere. I am going to assume that the average applicant applies to around 4-8 schools. I haven't seen this statistic...it would certainly be interesting.

In your situation I would say the DAT far outweighs the research opportunity ASSUMING YOU ARE APPLYING ASAP and your science GPA isn't about 3.5 or above, but is 3.0-3.5 (upward trend is very good of course but the first thing they'll look at I'm led to believe is your GPAs and your DAT scores thus they don't care initially about an upward trend: if they get to your personal statement or interview stage they can find that sort of thing out). Study hard for the DAT and do nothing else. You are going to need an excellent score.

If you are going to do post-bach work to increase your science GPA (masters or additional undergrad) then do the research simultaneously...take an extra year or two to do this stage...and then go balls out on the DAT (full time studying for 3 months before you go in to kill it) during one of the summers taking a break from all other courses and research, work, etc.

Whatever you do, it sounds like you are in a position where you cannot afford to skimp on the DAT. Go balls out 3 months focus on nothing else. Go in: kill it. IMO, research is generally the lesser priority than ensuring you get an excellent score on DAT. Especially if your GPA is less than competitive.

Last edited:
thanks for being so informative.

If I were to take more classes, do you recommend I retake some of my core classes (have C's in some earlier courses due to my lack of seriousness), or should I take more upper level bio courses?

I'm thinking taking the earlier courses may also help me prep for the DATs along the way, but upper level courses will make me look more prepared for more difficult material?

If I were to take more classes, do you recommend I retake some of my core classes (have C's in some earlier courses due to my lack of seriousness), or should I take more upper level bio courses?
New upper div bio courses look better than repeats.
I'm thinking taking the earlier courses may also help me prep for the DATs along the way, but upper level courses will make me look more prepared for more difficult material?
Make you look more prepared? eh. Only advantage of taking upper level bio courses is that you can skip through certain topics. People do fine with only intro classes.

New upper div bio courses look better than repeats.
Make you look more prepared? eh. Only advantage of taking upper level bio courses is that you can skip through certain topics. People do fine with only intro classes.

only retake if you know you're gonna make an A but otherwise keep taking more upper level bio classes