What's the anesthiologist salary nowaday?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrAwesomo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Back when I was a medical student, I did not apply because of the rumors that CRNA will lower Anesthesiologists' salary down to family medicine level. It may have been one of the worst decision of my life. Just curious, what is most recent salary (assuming 60-80 hr workweek) in this field?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also careers in medicine had average of $408,000 with 60 hrs/wk.

Back when I was a medical student, I did not apply because of the rumors that CRNA will lower Anesthesiologists' salary down to family medicine level. It may have been one of the worst decision of my life. Just curious, what is most recent salary (assuming 60-80 hr workweek) in this field?
Why was it a bad decision?

one attending told me the starting salary they offer fresh grad, at their group, was as low as what they paid their experience CRNA....talk about low balling! seriously i think the realistic number is probably 250k

Salaries are misleading unless you take the full compensation plus work hours into consideration.

My hours vary so much since I switched back into private practice.

I work 80 hours once every 5-6 weeks (cause I cover hospital entire 48 hour weekend). Usually light at night and just beeper after 7-8pm.

The other weeks I work 30-40 hours in hospital and another 10 hours beeper.

My total compensation this year is only around $325-350k. (That total including healthcare premiums paying own malpractice cme). I can probably push 400k doing extra calls or taking less vacation. The way the job is structured. I can essentially a free day off or a super light day (work 2 hours than go home) once a week as well.

My academic job was straight w2 $300k probably 44-45 clinical hours a week. But another 5-6 hours of meetings and lectures etc. I had a benefits package worth 50-60k though. Free healthcare. Malpractice paid. Cme package. 401a $24k thrown in. But the chair wouldn't allow anyone to leave before 3pm which was annoying even when nothing was going on.

My brother in LA works 60-65 hours. Was pulling in the mid 550s. Now he's getting older. Cutting back. Working 50-55 hours and making in mid 450s total compensation (straight fee for service/blended units system). No benefits.

Salaries are misleading unless you take the full compensation plus work hours into consideration.

I work 80 hours once every 5-6 weeks (cause I cover hospital entire 48 hour weekend). Usually light at night and just beeper after 7-8pm.

My total compensation this year is only around $325-350k. (That total including healthcare premiums paying own malpractice cme). I can probably push 400k doing extra calls or taking less vacation. The way the job is structured. I can essentially a free day off or a super light day (work 2 hours than go home) once a week as well.

My academic job was straight w2 $300k probably 44-45 clinical hours a week. But another 5-6 hours of meetings and lectures etc. I had a benefits package worth 50-60k though. Free healthcare. Malpractice paid. Cme package. 401a $24k thrown in. But the chair wouldn't allow anyone to leave before 3pm which was annoying even when nothing was going on.

My brother in LA works 60-65 hours. Was pulling in the mid 550s. Now he's getting older. Cutting back. Working 50-55 hours and making in mid 450s total compensation (straight fee for service/blended units system). No benefits.
Your brother must be a partner then? It seems these "high" salaries aren't attainable to most new graduates from what I gather.

And if smaller groups keep selling out to bigger ones, is it crazy to assume the golden days of anesthesia is over?

And if smaller groups keep selling out to bigger ones, is it crazy to assume the golden days of anesthesia is over?
What d'ya think?

An anesthesia group is a business. A business is a nice big birthday cake. The more at the party, the smaller the slices. Now tell me, why would we make our slices smaller, just so that you can have one, too? And if we don't, then what will/can you do? Who the heck are you to us, anyway?

Combine this with an overproduction of anesthesiologists and CRNAs...

Last edited by a moderator:
Your brother must be a partner then? It seems these "high" salaries aren't attainable to most new graduates from what I gather.

Yes. He's a partner. But out in California. It's still mainly MD only anesthesia. And partnership is only one year. So the "buyin" is only 10% of income for this year which isn't much.

You work more you make more. Pretty simple system.

True. Harder and harder to get "good and fair" paying jobs in great locations. My brother is in LA proper. In the good part of LA. Like minutes from west Los Angeles. But he works hard. No easy more out there. But it's a fair work structure they have out there.

For whatever reason, Cali must be a good market for anesthesia b/c this isn't the first time i've heard crazy figure for anesthesia...on one of my rotation a resident told me he had a job offer for over 600k at a private practice group in cali...but he said you're expected to wrk upward of 60-70hrs a week.

Reactions: 1 user

Those are pretty good for LA. Though the no benefits... =(

Here the starting salary is ~200 to 275.. i dont know too much about hrs worked. One attending said for him about 60ish