What's the best first gun to own?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am a woman. Do women shoot guns differently than men do? Is there a particular gun I should or should not use?

In my limited experience women just seem to have a slightly more difficult time grasping the operating mechanics of semi-automatic pistols as compared to revolvers. That group includes my mother, my wife, both sisters, my sister-in-law, my son (the police officer)'s fiancee, and 99% of the military women in my reserve unit. I don't know if it's because semi-automatics require a little more muscle strength (to chamber the first round), but revolvers seem to be more female-friendly.

If you're buying this strictly for self-defense I recommend a .38 special snub-nosed detective special, loaded with 95 grain silver tip hollow point ammo. That combination is easy to handle and conceal, yet with manageable recoil. Spend the extra $250 to have laser-pointer grips. If you're having to draw your weapon in self-defense sometimes just that red dot on the would-be assailant's sternum will cause them to flee.

Members don't see this ad.

Go with the springfield XDM 3.8 compact in 9 mm. There's even a promotion for 3 free magazines and magazine carrier for purchases made between 9/1 and 11/30.

This will net you a fantastic firearm, 5 magazines in total, a holster, 2 magazine holders, a magazine loader (but buy an upLULA anyways), and a lock and brush. All for ~$500 bucks!

http://www.springfield-armory.com/

Go with the springfield XDM 3.8 compact in 9 mm. There's even a promotion for 3 free magazines and magazine carrier for purchases made between 9/1 and 11/30.

This will net you a fantastic firearm, 5 magazines in total, a holster, 2 magazine holders, a magazine loader (but buy an upLULA anyways), and a lock and brush. All for ~$500 bucks!

http://www.springfield-armory.com/

I do like the XDM. But, I recommended you at least hold one first if you can't try one at the range. For those of us who don't qualify for "first responder" pricing from Glock the XDM is a better deal.

I like the long barrel, range model that Springfield just released. I want that one for my collection.

Members don't see this ad :)
I like handguns. Most brands. Many models. I do like revolvers. Nothing like a stainless steel revolver in 4 inch or 6 inch barrel for home defense. These guns are ***** proof and will fire without regular maintenance.

Just load 6-7 rounds in the chamber and your are set. No accidental discharge or jams. The revolver will go bang with any decent ammo (avoid reloads for home defense). The .38 plus P. Is a proven defense round which will get the Job done.

The revolver aint' glamerous but it is proven for hundreds of years and will tolerate years if not decades of neglect.

That said, I prefer a semi automatic pistol because they are lighter,hold more rounds and offer faster reloads (I keep an extra magazine loaded). I don't mind keeping my gun clean and ready. I also practice with my defense guns.

Those looking for a buy and forget gun may be better served with a stainless revolver.

Most I've met tend to prefer less recoil. My wife (5'4" 110lbs) really doesn't like shooting my 9mm a whole lot for this reason. I think most would recommend starting with something smaller caliber and working up to what you're comfortable with.

Also, if you're going to carry, consider the type of safety and shape if you're going to keep it in a purse.

9mm is small caliber. Most .380s (a smaller round than a 9mm) have just as much recoil as a 9mm because the gun is lighter and smaller.

I own .380s and my wife likes hers. But, she shoots most of my full size 9mms without difficult because the guns soak up the recoil better than most .380s.

Yes, my wife likes the .22s best but they aren't adequate for home defense. You need a .380 as the minimum caliber (some think 9mm) for defense. I recommend a 9mm and after shooting a .40,.45 or .357 the 9mm will seem very tolerable.

My home defense gun is a .45 HK (own many) but I keep several 9mms ready to go for my wife. (Don't worry PGG I have serious firepower ready to go as well).

SW686.jpg

HK makes some very good .45s. Take a look at the HK45 and HK45C. Nice guns. The bottom gun is a HK P2000. I prefer the HK45C.

P1000368.JPG

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Even if all you "own" is one .22LR pistol for shooting cans the point is the same:
The right to bear and own guns in the USA. The Founders knew that power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. The intent was to make sure the government knew and understood the real power belongs to the individual Citizens. The government should fear the people not the other way around.

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.

I think myself that we have more machinery of government than is necessary, too many parasites living on the labor of the industrious.

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

I am not a friend to a very energetic government. It is always oppressive.

The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.

Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty.

If you're talking about home defense, I think I would prefer a shotgun.

images

Share http://www.addthis.com/bookmark.php http://www.addthis.com/bookmark.php...NnTpavFMyXtwfMpbm7DQ&usg=AFQjCNHf6o7aqDl&tt=0 http://www.addthis.com/bookmark.php « Previous Thompson | Next Thompson » Email Print 51% of Americans Pay No Federal Income Taxes

By Derek Thompson May 4 2011, 9:05 AM ET 113
Half of American tax payers owe no federal income tax, and most of those filers actually net tax benefits from federal income taxes, according to analysis from the Joint Committee on Taxation in a letter to the Republicans on the Senate Finance Committee.

One in six Americans now receives some form of government assistance, reported last week’s U.S.A Today.
Fifty million are on Medicaid, a record high and a whopping 17 percent increase since December 2007. Food stamp enrollment has climbed nearly 50 percent since 2008 and now stands at 40 million, or one in seven people. Ten million Americans receive unemployment benefits, and 4.4 million get direct cash assistance, an 18 percent increase from two years ago.
And these are the numbers from only four of the more than 70 welfare programs funded by the federal government.
While some of the growth in welfare can be attributed to the current recession, government-assistance programs were growing far before the economy began to decline in December 2007. In fact, welfare spending has been climbing since the 1960s, when Lyndon B. Johnson declared his “War on Poverty.”
However, President Obama’s increases have been the most dramatic of any President in the nation’s history. As he completes two years in office, he will have added roughly $260 billion to government welfare spending, a jump two-and-a-half times greater than any previous welfare increase in the nation’s history.
And don’t expect welfare spending to decrease once the recession ends. The Obama budget makes it clear that the majority of these spending hikes are permanent. As a result, beginning this year, taxpayers will contribute approximately $1 trillion every year to federal means-tested programs. (This amount will be even greater once Medicaid enrollment jumps in 2014 as a result of the health care bill.)

A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the majority discovers it can vote itself largess out of the public treasury. After that, the majority always votes for the candidate promising the most benefits with the result the democracy collapses because of the loose fiscal policy ensuing, always to be followed by a dictatorship, then a monarchy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Fraser_Tytler

odiogo_listen_now_77x18.gif

150px-Reproduction-of-the-1805-Rembrandt-Peale-painting-of-Thomas-Jefferson-New-York-Historical-Society_1.jpg
“To take from one, because it is thought his own industry and that of his fathers has acquired too much, in order to spare to others, who, or whose fathers, have not exercised equal industry and skill, is to violate arbitrarily the first principle of association, the guarantee to everyone the free exercise of his industry and the fruits acquired by it.” — Thomas Jefferson, letter to Joseph Milligan, April 6, 1816

“A wise and frugal government… shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government.” — Thomas Jefferson, First Inaugural Address, March 4, 180

Every Med Student or Resident should learn how to shoot and handle a gun. If eventually you decide to purchase one that would be great; however, you should at least begin to appreciate my rights and the rights of others to own and bear arms.

It all starts with a handgun.

When you implement “from each according to his ability, to each according to his need,” magically, everyone starts having quite a lot of need and very little ability.

Have you guys ever heard of Rock Island Armory? I'd say they are excellent entry-level pistols...I've got an RIA 1911 .45 ACP and one of their 9mm's (Map1) You can get both for ~ 750 total. Super cheap but also super reliable. As for .22LRs the ruger MarkIII Target is where it's at. But w a budget of 1000 the two RIAs are a great deal and once you shoot that 1911 youll honestly never want to stop

I agree with a reasonable priced reliable 9mm handgun such as a glock, S&W, Sig, etc... and then a .22 for some cheap practice.

And then you need a 12gauge, and then some sort of rifle caliber, and then, and then, and then......:D

Already put together an AR and fighting the urge to build another.

Have you guys ever heard of Rock Island Armory? I'd say they are excellent entry-level pistols...I've got an RIA 1911 .45 ACP and one of their 9mm's (Map1) You can get both for ~ 750 total. Super cheap but also super reliable. As for .22LRs the ruger MarkIII Target is where it's at. But w a budget of 1000 the two RIAs are a great deal and once you shoot that 1911 youll honestly never want to stop

Rock Island Armory? How does that 1911 stack up against Springfield or SW 1911. The Springfields run about $800 and the SW1911 $900-$1100. That's midrange pricing for a 1911.

Rock Island Armory? How does that 1911 stack up against Springfield or SW 1911. The Springfields run about $800 and the SW1911 $900-$1100. That's midrange pricing for a 1911.

I'm sold. I will be getting a Rock Island Tactical .45 with hogue grips. The price is great and fantastic reviews.

Nothing comes close to the RIA tactical .45 for under $800.00

RIA, based out of the Phillipines, I believe has a manufacturing contract with armscor. Shooting-wise you probably won't notice a difference b/w RIA and SA not sure on the SW (no experience) but i doubt it.. What I've always heard is that if youre fine a stock 1911, RIA vs SA, RIA would be the way to go..If you want to customize then it's the opposite. Keep in mind you should be able to get the RIA for 400 or less.

I'm sold. I will be getting a Rock Island Tactical .45 with hogue grips. The price is great and fantastic reviews.

Nothing comes close to the RIA tactical .45 for under $800.00

Im tellin ya they are great guns and the price just makes them that much sweeter. Ive heard some great things about the tactical but even the GI sights on my standard are pretty d*mn accurate.

The following statement is entirely anecdotal, as I've never owned a 1911 myself. I have several friends who own them and carry them daily, and this is their input on 1911 pricing.

Plan on spending around $1000 for a reliable and consistent 1911. You can either buy a junk gun and put a lot of money into upgrades, or you can buy a decent gun from the get go. I'm not saying rock river is garbage, I have no opinion on their 1911s, but I have heard their reputation is less than stellar in the AR world.

The following statement is entirely anecdotal, as I've never owned a 1911 myself. I have several friends who own them and carry them daily, and this is their input on 1911 pricing.

Plan on spending around $1000 for a reliable and consistent 1911. You can either buy a junk gun and put a lot of money into upgrades, or you can buy a decent gun from the get go. I'm not saying rock river is garbage, I have no opinion on their 1911s, but I have heard their reputation is less than stellar in the AR world.

Rock Island Armory =/= Rock River Arms (which is from Illinois) nor does RIA make ARs but point taken.

[Rock River's] reputation is less than stellar in the AR world.

They make a decent entry level AR. It's not a Noveske or Colt or Larue, but if you're just buying an AR to goof off with there's nothing wrong with them.

Most AR manufacturers make stuff that's within spec. Even on the low end, they're commodity parts, and you can expect them to work. Olympic is the only company I'd never buy from.

Plan on spending around $1000 for a reliable and consistent 1911. You can either buy a junk gun and put a lot of money into upgrades, or you can buy a decent gun from the get go.

There are some good deals in the 1911 world if you look around. I picked up a lightly used stainless Springfield Armory Loaded model off of GunBroker for about $750 a few years back, and it has been 100% reliable for me. If I were looking for a first 1911 right now though, my leading candidate would be the Ruger SR1911.

I am a woman. Do women shoot guns differently than men do? Is there a particular gun I should or should not use?

I've got a Walter PPK/S. It's pretty good to shoot; the recoil isn't too bad. I just have to practice dry firing with the double action because I can't get that action down smoothly.

First off, I am thrilled to see this much excitement over firearms in a medical thread. I am currently a third year medical student and to my chagrin, most people at my school tend to have certain preconceptions about the possession of firearms. I have been shooting since I was a child and have been collecting for 5 years or so now and have accumulated a lot of experience with the variety of firearms out there.

The decision to purchase a handgun should start deciding the purpose of the firearm. Exclusively a night stand gun? Will you ever want to carry it? Who in the household may want to shoot it? Are you left handed and want a firearm with ambidextrous controls? You should next determine if you want a firearm that is a single action, double/single, or striker fired. They work differently and have different trigger pulls. Some have manual safeties, some do not. Ammunition cost is a realistic factor that will affect how much you shoot. While 22 LR (long rifle) is a great round to learn on, rimfire rounds are not appropriate for self defense purposes. Rather, choose a centerfire cartridge. 9mm is a great choice to start. When purchasing in bulk, rough costs are $10 box of 9mm, $14 of .40 SW, and $17 of .45 ACP. Calibers like 10mm have excellent terminal ballistics and are fun to shoot, but do not make sense unless you are reloading.

I have over 20 firearms including handgun models from HK, Sig, Smith and Wesson M&P, Glock, and Walther. Shotguns and rifles/carbines too. I recommend a Glock 19 (generation three is good to go). It is striker fired which means there is no external hammer and no external manual safety to be concerned about in a moment of stress. They are light, very concealable, and still carry 15 rounds in each magazine. They are also capable of running the larger Glock 9mm 17 and 33 round magazines. Striker fired guns allow you to shoot every shot with the same trigger pull. This is in contrast to the Sig or HK (depending on the version) that come standard in a double action/single action configuration. Do yourself a favor and shoot both. The majority of police departments in the US run Glocks in 9,40, and 45 followed by Sig. Some agencies use Berettas, Smith and Wesson M&P, or HK. Few agencies shoot 357 Sig ammunition or 10mm.

A Glock 19 will allow you versality and is a great place to start. I would feel comfortable trusting any of my firearms with my life, but if I could only have one it would be a Glock 19.

Remember, for home defense, be careful if you live in an apartment or in a home close to your neighbors because 9mm will zip through dry wall. Shotguns are excellent and versatile firearms too, but really not appropriate for life in a condo. If you want a shotgun, Remington's 870 series and Mossberg's 500 and 590 series are excellent places to start with reasonably priced models. Whatever you do, make sure you get a model with a buttstock. Shotguns do not aim themselves, contrary to popular belief.

Don't forget a good holster and a gun belt. If you keep the firearm as a night stand gun, a Surefire or Streamlight weapon light are also nice accessories. Best of luck in your decision.

First off, I am thrilled to see this much excitement over firearms in a medical thread. I am currently a third year medical student and to my chagrin, most people at my school tend to have certain preconceptions about the possession of firearms. I have been shooting since I was a child and have been collecting for 5 years or so now and have accumulated a lot of experience with the variety of firearms out there.

I think there are more shooters in the medical field than one might expect, but especially in medical school I think most of us are quiet about it due to the highly negative opinions many of our classmates have. That said, I've recently found out a couple of guys I've known for quite a while are avid shooters (shotguns mainly, while I'm more of a pistol shooter). I'm in a very gun-friendly state though (as I gather you are too by your name)--I expect there would be fewer if I went to school in the Northeast.

I think it also varies by specialty--surgical specialties (I met an ortho attending who was a total gun nut) anesthesiology (apparently) have more than their share, while you are likely to be treated like you have a highly communicable disease if someone in pediatrics finds out you are a shooter. Emergency medicine, my likely specialty choice, seems to be quite polarized, likely due to more exposure to misuse of guns--they are either avid shooters/collectors or completely anti-gun, with not many neutral.

The decision to purchase a handgun should start deciding the purpose of the firearm. Exclusively a night stand gun? Will you ever want to carry it? Who in the household may want to shoot it? Are you left handed and want a firearm with ambidextrous controls? You should next determine if you want a firearm that is a single action, double/single, or striker fired. They work differently and have different trigger pulls. Some have manual safeties, some do not. Ammunition cost is a realistic factor that will affect how much you shoot. While 22 LR (long rifle) is a great round to learn on, rimfire rounds are not appropriate for self defense purposes. Rather, choose a centerfire cartridge. 9mm is a great choice to start. When purchasing in bulk, rough costs are $10 box of 9mm, $14 of .40 SW, and $17 of .45 ACP. Calibers like 10mm have excellent terminal ballistics and are fun to shoot, but do not make sense unless you are reloading.

I have over 20 firearms including handgun models from HK, Sig, Smith and Wesson M&P, Glock, and Walther. Shotguns and rifles/carbines too. I recommend a Glock 19 (generation three is good to go). It is striker fired which means there is no external hammer and no external manual safety to be concerned about in a moment of stress. They are light, very concealable, and still carry 15 rounds in each magazine. They are also capable of running the larger Glock 9mm 17 and 33 round magazines. Striker fired guns allow you to shoot every shot with the same trigger pull. This is in contrast to the Sig or HK (depending on the version) that come standard in a double action/single action configuration. Do yourself a favor and shoot both. The majority of police departments in the US run Glocks in 9,40, and 45 followed by Sig. Some agencies use Berettas, Smith and Wesson M&P, or HK. Few agencies shoot 357 Sig ammunition or 10mm.

A Glock 19 will allow you versality and is a great place to start. I would feel comfortable trusting any of my firearms with my life, but if I could only have one it would be a Glock 19.

Remember, for home defense, be careful if you live in an apartment or in a home close to your neighbors because 9mm will zip through dry wall. Shotguns are excellent and versatile firearms too, but really not appropriate for life in a condo. If you want a shotgun, Remington's 870 series and Mossberg's 500 and 590 series are excellent places to start with reasonably priced models. Whatever you do, make sure you get a model with a buttstock. Shotguns do not aim themselves, contrary to popular belief.

Don't forget a good holster and a gun belt. If you keep the firearm as a night stand gun, a Surefire or Streamlight weapon light are also nice accessories. Best of luck in your decision.

Great post from a Med Student. 20 guns at your age? Wow. You'll have an arsenal by the time you are my age.

If I only could have one gun....It would be my HK 45. Never malfunctions, shoots every type of ammo and the .45 round has a proven track record over the past 100 years. Ditto for my HK USP, HK Tactical, HK 9 mm, etc.
The Glock is a fine gun but in my opinion the HK's are better. I prefer the DA/SA trigger because the LEM trigger found in Glock and HKs are very light. The last thing you want is an accidental discharge from a light trigger and NO safety.

For experienced gun shooters the type of weapon is personal choice. For the novice I recommend you strongly consider DA/SA with a safety. I like Glock but again the trigger is light and NO SAFETY. I have an HK with such a trigger as well. Nice gun but I don't keep a bullet in the chamber. Ditto for the Glock.

I really like my CZ guns as well. Not for Carry but for range and home duty. Cheap and effective with many poilice using these guns throughout the world. Those who haven't fired a CZ gun need to give one a try.

HK45C for Concealed Carry or HK 45 for my home defense (Sorry PGG the AR 15 and shotgun are overkill but I've got 'em along with several carbines).

My wife keeps her .380 ready and several 9mms at stand-bye. (she doesn't like shooting anything more than a 9mm).

Last edited:
I agree with Blade's assessment on Glocks and H&Ks. I own and shoot a glock 17 and a H&K USP 9mm, both get the job done. The H&K is a little more finely crafted, The difference is like comparing a Toyota and a BMW, both fine machines that will get you from A to B, one does it in a little more refinement.

9mm is the perfect caliber for a first gun, go out to the range and shoot as many types as you can, see what fits your hand. For models you can't find for rent at the range go to the gun shop or gun shows and at least hold them in your hand.

I didn't mean to bash the hk, they just aren't for me. I was unaware RIA and RRA we different companies, thanks for the clarification :)

I didn't mean to bash the hk, they just aren't for me. I was unaware RIA and RRA we different companies, thanks for the clarification :)

Guns are PERSONAL items. Some love HK others Glock others Sig etc. I appreciate most brands provided they go "BANG" every time you pull the trigger. All My HKs do exactly that flawlessly. Ditto for Glock, Beretta, CZ and Walther. I won't keep a gun that isn't 100% reliable. Well, now that I'm into 1911s I may just have to put up with some FTEs/FTFs (Jams). That's just the nature of the 1911 beast.

I was at the gun store yesterday.. Was thinking about getting my ccw.. I know the glock subcompact is a solid gun (shoots 9mm or .40 also!!) but it still a bit bulky.. I can see myself stop carrying it after a few weeks bc it's just a slight bit too bulky.. There were other subcompact weapons but they were mainly in the .380 round (khar, kal-tec, ruger lcp, the new berretta nano coming soon) and were considerably less bulky and seemingly more practical?? What do you guysthink of the .380 round? Would a .380 hollow point be considerably more powerful than the normal .380??

S&W 38 special revolver is a better choice. A 5 shot, J frame. I pocket carry an old model 37 in a desantis nemesis holster. I have a M&P9c that I never carry because it is just too inconvenient. Something like a model 642 would be inexpensive, lightweight and reliable.

Maybe get something like a Ruger SR9 for range, home use. Both guns would be less than $800 together.

What do you guysthink of the .380 round? Would a .380 hollow point be considerably more powerful than the normal .380??

Some argue that FMJ rounds are better, because the .380 hollow points won't reliably penetrate 12".

Ruger's LC9 really isn't much bigger than their LCP. I have no trouble concealing a P220 Carry (.45), even mid-summer wearing shorts and a t shirt, but other people are built differently. Don't assume that you need a tiny gun in order to effectively conceal it. Nobody's looking, anyway.

I was at the gun store yesterday.. Was thinking about getting my ccw.. I know the glock subcompact is a solid gun (shoots 9mm or .40 also!!) but it still a bit bulky.. I can see myself stop carrying it after a few weeks bc it's just a slight bit too bulky.. There were other subcompact weapons but they were mainly in the .380 round (khar, kal-tec, ruger lcp, the new berretta nano coming soon) and were considerably less bulky and seemingly more practical?? What do you guysthink of the .380 round? Would a .380 hollow point be considerably more powerful than the normal .380??

One isn't inherently more powerful than the other. Like pgg said, a hollowpoint will tend to penetrate less than an fmj. The benefit is that you get increased expansion (assuming you have a functional hollowpoint) once the bullet enters tissue (bigger hole).

So basically, you have 3 ways to stop a threat (in a timely manner) - destroy critical vasculature, innervation, or bone. Obviously, most of those critical structures are deep, so the standard acceptable penetration depth (in ballistic gelatin, made to simulate tissue) is 12" (per FBI research iirc). As you penetrate, you need to still want to have the energy to break bone, tear artery, etc. The velocity, diameter, and weight (and to some extent shape) of the bullet all affect penetration depth. The velocity and weight influence the energy during penetration. The diameter influences the likelihood of nicking an artery/nerve.

So you want to balance the round that best approaches/meets those standards with the round that you can reliably fire quickly and accurately (which will also depend on the gun the cartridge is fired in). Also consider how many rounds the pistol you're considering will hold. Just have to try different ones out.