What's the Best Neurosurgery Sub-I?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PaddyofNine

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an Irish medical student with an interest in neurosurgery. I'm hoping to do a Sub-I in the subject this summer in the US. I'm kind of limited in that I don't have Step I done, so some schools won't take me.

My question is, is there any standout sub-internship in neurosurgery that you know of? What's the best, if any? Is there any in particular you'd recommend, and why?

All comments appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Oregon Health & Science University (OHSU), in Portland, Oregon, is a great place to do a sub-internship. You'll see a wide variety of cases (vascular, tumor, functional, peds, spine, endovascular, trauma) and get lots of hands on in the operating room, plus spend a few days in the clinics with the attendings to get a feel for the program. You'll get a good feel for the comraderie amongs residents and between residents and faculty.

Portland is a mid-size city with a great public transportation, lots of outdoor stuff to do, and plenty of nice bars and restaurants...very easy to get around in. The mountains and the coast are close by. Most students do a 4-week rotation but we have had students for longer and shorter periods. Students that do a sub-internship are considered very highly for a position come match time.

Our website, however, stinks, but take a look anyway...I don't know if Step 1 is a requirement but perhaps you can get it done before summer.

www.ohsu.edu/neurosurgery

Members don't see this ad :)
I have heard a lot of good things about OHSU so definitely check that out. Another place that I can speak highly of from personal experience is Cincinnati. Incredible people, incredible place.

I would love to do this but I don't think my school is LCME. I go to NY State American Program - Tel Aviv University, Israel. We have our studies in English and I am originally from Seattle (American citizen) is there anything that I can do?