What's the best place to intern for the money?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

riskhk

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Titltle says it all. I have the opportunity to maintain my stay in Target but they told me I will get 11 dollars an hour. I heard other places i.e Kaiser get 20 dollars an hour.

Members don't see this ad.

11-20 bucks an hour? Is that for first year students intern?

Yeah it is. I heard that the first year intern at Target starts with 11 dollars, 2nd year for 12 dollars, 3rd year for 13 dollars...etc.

On the other hand, I heard Walmart, you start with 15 dollars. I'm just asking around so I can find a place where I can find a competitive pay.

Kevin

Members don't see this ad :)
Here in Vegas, Vons (part of the Safeway supermarket chain) pays ~$17 for 1st years in our class. Tough job to get, though. I only make ~$13 in hospital as a 1st year. I think hospitals generally pay lower than retail.

There can be HUGE differences by state. I would say that it's impossible to tell. Around here hospitals seem to pay more, but nobody gets near $20/hr until 4th year+. I need to find somewhere that pays $20/hr! I would have no life!! Here it's more like 11/12/14/18.50 (per professional year)

Jd

At Walgreens, interns in SF are supposed get around $20/hr according to my pharm manager. Although UCSFpharmgirl may argue otherwise, bc i've discussed this w/her. At any rate, they're paid more than me as a tech and I get $16/hr.

So theoretically, if you could stay somewhere for cheap, it'd be worth it to intern up here, prob is the minute you pay rent it becomes very not worth it. Rent here sucks a#$ in a terrible way.

Here in seattle intern wages at the hospitals seem to be starting ~$13.50/hour with a ~$2 raise/year, don't know about retail. Full time during summers and breaks and 48-60 hours a month during school. A big 3 year commitment, but it should help a lot with the education and the bills.