What's the best review book for biology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Member200000

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm taking the MCAT on May 31 and want to follow SN2ed's 3 month study schedule. He suggests for biology, that either EK, BR, or TPR can be used. I have both BR and TPR now - which would be better?

If I somehow get through the study schedule early I might go back and use the book I didn't use before just to confirm what I already learned, but for now, what should I use for the schedule?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm taking the MCAT on May 31 and want to follow SN2ed's 3 month study schedule. He suggests for biology, that either EK, BR, or TPR can be used. I have both BR and TPR now - which would be better?

If I somehow get through the study schedule early I might go back and use the book I didn't use before just to confirm what I already learned, but for now, what should I use for the schedule?

Thanks!

My two cents comment is STAY with SN2ed schedule as baseline using BR. Look at that VERY carefully to see if any gap you can modify.

One of the option is spread out the SN2ed schedule 10 to 20 percent and systematically insert some specific area whether in Bio or Chem you must want using the TPR stuff. You just have to carefully play games to match your situation. My own gut feeling based on my experience with my son the past few weeks is that we are ALWAYS behind. The SN2ed schedule is HANDFUL and tight; assuming you are opened daily without other commitment.

If you really really want to use TPR, pick VB workbook first for passages. The SN2ed schedule, to me is our gold baseline; but not one size fit all.

My son is applying the modified version of it including his class load and weekly weekend practice exam of AAMC 3-11 and BR1-5 plus Nova and EK VB and 1001 series.............. I talk to him everyday to be sure he is not losing his sanity. :rolleyes::p.
There are days it is very ugly.:mad: Yes! Vitamins, herbs, minerals.......:)

Use EK or TPRH for biology content review. EK if you don't need all the details, which is what most prefer. TPRH if those extra details that aren't tested are helpful for you to understand the material. In either case, use BR for its passages which are hard, but good.

Use EK or TPRH for biology content review. EK if you don't need all the details, which is what most prefer. TPRH if those extra details that aren't tested are helpful for you to understand the material. In either case, use BR for its passages which are hard, but good.
The BR Bio passages are murder. I did phase 1 and I was about cry (not really but I am pretty upset about how poorly I preformed on them), they asked so many things that were not covered in the chapter, and even though they were in the passage but not everything could be deduced from the passages sometimes it required outside knowledge. Also to add to the fact, I have never really taken Physiology classes or had much of it in any of my biology courses. But I did learn a great deal from the passages, its almost like doing content review.

Members don't see this ad :)
Keep in mind that BR's passages are supposed to be difficult. Also, don't get too wrapped up in your scores early on. In other words...are you crying? Are you crying?!? There's no crying in MCAT studying :p

TPRH blows ek bio out of the water I think. Really if you don't know anything about bio to begin with then EK bio is not the book for you. You have to understand the extra details if you want to understand the bio passages on the mcat, otherwise it will be like taking your mcat in spanish. If you have the time, I say go through TPR. Its way longer, but I think its worth it because theres more bio questions then any other topic on the exam, since the bio composes most of the BS section. I knew nothing about bio, read ek bio around five times and was still getting kinda owned by bio passages. I read tpr and TBR around 10 times and slowly it started becoming way more clear to me.

Thanks everyone! I'm a little worried because I'm a few years out of school. I got As in the prereqs, but I don't remember most of the material from those classes since I took them so long ago (gen chem I haven't taken since 2003-2004 for example), so I'm hoping BR/TPR will be enough. Or does it sound like in my case I need to go back to textbooks?

TPRH blows ek bio out of the water I think. Really if you don't know anything about bio to begin with then EK bio is not the book for you. You have to understand the extra details if you want to understand the bio passages on the mcat, otherwise it will be like taking your mcat in spanish. If you have the time, I say go through TPR. Its way longer, but I think its worth it because theres more bio questions then any other topic on the exam, since the bio composes most of the BS section. I knew nothing about bio, read ek bio around five times and was still getting kinda owned by bio passages. I read tpr and TBR around 10 times and slowly it started becoming way more clear to me.

So I generally agree that EK is not a good choice for nontrads who are separated from their academics or those who need to start from scratch. That said, I just wanted to clarify a few things for college students reading this thread. I don't think TPRH blows it out of the water. For many college students who've recently taken biology courses and done reasonably well, I think EK is absolutely perfect. The danger with picking a book with more information is that, for those who have some degree of background in the subject, you'll be spending time studying information that won't even be on the exam when it would be more cost-effective to use that time doing practice problems.

EK is short, sweet, but still covers all of the topics you need to understand while allowing you to spend more time practicing, which is the best strategy for those still in school.