What's the best textbook for organic chemistry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What's the best textbook for organic chemistry?

• Klein (2nd edition)

Votes: 9 56.3%
  • Brown (7th edition)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Janice Smith (2nd edition)

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Solmon

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Wade (8th edition)

Votes: 4 25.0%

• Total voters

xforeverlove21

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently taking organic chemistry II, our prof said any book should be fine. I'm looking for a book that explains concepts well and has good built in problems.
What do you think is good?
Klein (2nd edition)
Brown (7th edition)
Janice Smith (2nd edition)
Solomon
Wade
or any other recommendations?

FYI I already use organic chemistry as a 2nd language but I feel like it's more of a supplementary book and I want something that has a lot of practice problems. I am planning on trying out Klein (2nd edition). Is that any good?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think you're going to get reliable results out of this poll. I'll wager that very few people have read a good enough portion of all the aforementioned books in order to make a robust comparison.

I can, however, tell you that my experience with Klein was definitely very positive. I found that his manner of conveying concepts / writing style was cogent and informative, and on a few occasions found myself reading it just for personal, continued learning. (Disclaimer: I'm not a Chemistry major)

Reactions: 1 user
As LittleEngine noted, most people don't have quite the depth of experience to give a great answer. But for my two cents, we used the Maitland Jones book, which was okay, but it had a gazillion practice problems which were, for the most part, quite helpful.

Members don't see this ad :)
Khan Academy

morrison and boyd

Certainly a classic lol, I bet many a proffesor has a copy of this on their shelf.

Wade or Klein are also good. I'd like to throw in Clayden as well.

Last edited:
The Clayden organic chemistry text is what I usually recommend to students. It's a textbook and not a supplement so keep that in mind, but it's very well written and a great resource.

Listen to the words coming out of my mouth. The best textbook is the Klein 2nd edition. I aced this class. I taught it for several semesters afterwards.

I have read it front to back as well as Wade.

Buy the 2nd Klein. Read it. Get an A.

Reactions: 1 user
Listen to the words coming out of my mouth. The best textbook is the Klein 2nd edition. I aced this class. I taught it for several semesters afterwards.

I have read it front to back as well as Wade.

Buy the 2nd Klein. Read it. Get an A.

Tried this book out today, everything makes sense! I love how he actually teaches you how to draw the full mechanisms