What's the deal with nail polish?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phantasmagoriun

Car Ramrod
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can you wear it? Is it forbidden? This might seem like a dumb girly question but it came to mind. I happen to be a person that likes to keep my nails short, groomed and painted. I'm not saying I get professional manicures every 3 days or anything but I do like the look of painted nails and I tend to always keep them that way. I was wondering if you are allowed to paint your nails in dental school or if they always have to be short and bare?

Members don't see this ad.

I know they have to be short in clinic. Not sure about the whole painted thing though.

Take this for what it's worth (probably different at every school) but my wife during dental hygiene school had to keep her nails short and couldn't have them painted.

Members don't see this ad :)
Manicures get destroyed really fast in dentistry with all those gloves coming on and off all day. :(
Yeah I kinda figured that... I don't get my nails done at a salon though, I just paint them myself, but from the responses, it doesn't seem to look like I'll be able to do that. :(

whats kind of funny is that some of our old-school profs have manicured, short nails with a clear coat of polish on them - good ol' gloveless dentistry habits I guess.

I remember my school had dress coat that does not allow nail polish. Still, I wear them all the time. No body told me to go take the polish off