About the ads

What's the deal with nail polish?

Discussion in 'Dental' started by phantasmagoriun, Mar 10, 2008.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.

Thanks to Crack the NBDE
  1. phantasmagoriun

phantasmagoriun Car Ramrod

Dental Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Can you wear it? Is it forbidden? This might seem like a dumb girly question but it came to mind. I happen to be a person that likes to keep my nails short, groomed and painted. I'm not saying I get professional manicures every 3 days or anything but I do like the look of painted nails and I tend to always keep them that way. I was wondering if you are allowed to paint your nails in dental school or if they always have to be short and bare?
  2. toothfairy85

toothfairy85 Guest

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I know they have to be short in clinic. Not sure about the whole painted thing though.
  3. airsimon

airsimon

Dental Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Take this for what it's worth (probably different at every school) but my wife during dental hygiene school had to keep her nails short and couldn't have them painted.
  4. gryffindor

gryffindor

Dentist
    Dentist SDN 10+ Year Member
    Manicures get destroyed really fast in dentistry with all those gloves coming on and off all day. :(
  5. phantasmagoriun

phantasmagoriun Car Ramrod

Dental Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Yeah I kinda figured that... I don't get my nails done at a salon though, I just paint them myself, but from the responses, it doesn't seem to look like I'll be able to do that. :(
  6. geometric-pain

geometric-pain

Dental Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    whats kind of funny is that some of our old-school profs have manicured, short nails with a clear coat of polish on them - good ol' gloveless dentistry habits I guess.
  7. tinker bell

tinker bell 1K Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    I remember my school had dress coat that does not allow nail polish. Still, I wear them all the time. No body told me to go take the polish off