What's the difference between DNA polymerase I and III

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ROCOCO8

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a little confused about this..
What's the difference bw I and III? .I always thought E. coli/bacteria only have DNA poly III...?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know which ones E.Coli has for sure but I thought I, II, and III all came from E.Coli. I actually thought it went up to five. I think DNA III was the biggest DNA Pol I was unique because it could "proof read" in both directions 5' to 3' and 3' to 5'. I am not sure if I am right on this I might check tomorrow if I remember. I just finished genetics and I should know this.

I wasn't sure about the answer so I googled it and this is what I got

DNA Polymerase III - makes the chain in a 5 to 3 direction and it proofreads with a 3 to 5 exonuclease, so it goes both ways doing something different
DNA Polymerase I - breaks down the RNA primer with a 5 to 3 exonuclease.

The Molecular bio nomenclature states that DNA Polymerase I, II, and III is used in procaryotes like E-Coli. Eucaryotes use DNA Polymerase alpha, beta, delta, epsilon.

DNA Polymerase III is responsible for leading and the lagging strand synthesis in bacteria. DNA Polymerase I replaces RNA primer with the DNA strand.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk