What's the highest DPT salary you heard of?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

helpfuldoc2b

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Whats the highest DPT salary you heard of straight after graduation? How about 2-5 years out? What about 10+ out?

Members don't see this ad.

same as the highest MSPT or BSPT salary.

The founder of healthsouth was a PT. he made billions..some of it legally.

Members don't see this ad :)
Whats the highest DPT salary you heard of straight after graduation? How about 2-5 years out? What about 10+ out?

Probably depends on where you work and how much you are willing to work.

In canada a new grad in in-patient hospital setting makes about 50-55k to start and with 10+ years of experience probably around 70-80k.. with several years of experience advance status and supervisory positions you could probably make over 100k.

If you work in out-patient private clinic .. I have seen offers from 35-38 dollars an hour for new grads.. and with more post grad manual therapy courses an experienced PT can probably make over 80k ..also depends on how many hours you are willing to work.

In nursing homes I have seen offers of 40 dollars an hour and 90k for an experience PT and for home care I hear you make pretty good money as well .. probably because not many PTs are interested in working in these areas.

If you own your own clinic .. on average you probably net between 90-130 grand a year..but its very variable.. you could competely flop too.

PS ..whats healthsouth?

I cannot give you an exact number but I can tell you that the amount of money you make as a PT will not be worth the cost of PT school. Now if you know that you love PT or you truly enjoy helping others and working very closely with people then you are in luck.

PS ..whats healthsouth?

Healthsouth is a hospital in Ohio which were doing many illegal activities, such as billing skilled services by techs and aids. I don't know the full story, but some of my classmates at Ohio State had experiences with them. Correct me if I'm giving false information since this happened several years ago.

I cannot give you an exact number but I can tell you that the amount of money you make as a PT will not be worth the cost of PT school. Now if you know that you love PT or you truly enjoy helping others and working very closely with people then you are in luck.

This is not exactly true in all cases. It depends where you got your education and how much you paid for it. Where you work and how much you are willing to work.

HealthSouth=Enron of healthcare industry

New Grad in Houston: $48-53K outpatient ortho
5+ years experience: $65-80K

I've hired my share and this is pretty fair market value for PT's in our area in the outpatient setting.

I know several OTs (one is a family member) making $150k+, in-patient, Los Angeles, 50 hours a week. I know PTs don't lag much behind.

Wow...they must be contract? That is by far the highest salary I've heard for an OT or PT.

You have to be a successful OWNER of a PT/OT clinic, work 60+ hrs/week , see 30 pts/day, 6days/week and take cash only to make $150 k in PT or OT. And of course, do your own marketing, billing, and cleaning on your off day.

Holy ****.

I'm an OT, worked as a Director of Clinical Service, and was no where near that money. I shoulda looked in LA.

I think supply and demand rules the market, but reimbursement is a huge factor too. Since inpatient charges are tied to DRGs (for medicare), it must be hard to pay OTs that much and still make money for the mothership. Bravo to the facility that figured out how to do that, and bravo for the OTs that found those jobs.

hb-
What is the name of the hospital (or the name of the rehab company) where your family members are working?

dc

You have to be a successful OWNER of a PT/OT clinic, work 60+ hrs/week , see 30 pts/day, 6days/week and take cash only to make $150 k in PT or OT. And of course, do your own marketing, billing, and cleaning on your off day.

Its true to make that kind of money in PT you would have to be a clinic owner... a 2002 OPA study showed that there were some PT clinic owners making 200k(175k US) and working about 50 hours a week. If you work as an employee you are probably going to have to settle for somewhere between
55-90k a year, 40 hour weeks, benifits, vacation time, no risk, and no headaches.. not a bad deal if you were able to get your education at a decent price. If you live in the states and dont mind working as an employee being a PA is probably a better deal but I am not really sure how the job market is for PAs.

Wow...they must be contract? That is by far the highest salary I've heard for an OT or PT.

Well, two jobs.. one is hourly, the other is contract. The contract is very flexible but pays much less than the hourly if you work it out. There is definitely potential to make tons of money. Of course, $150k is definitely not the norm, but its definitely doable. ($200k is the top amount I've ever heard, but I just "heard" that, as in I didn't see the taxes/pay stubs for that amount.) You gotta keep in mind that yes the money might be better in LA, but imagine paying $70,000/year just for your mortgage... and traffic sucks.

200K hmmm ive heard of that too, but that pt sold his soul to the devil. Poor soul.

200K hmmm ive heard of that too, but that pt sold his soul to the devil. Poor soul.

Or he may have one of those special rooms in the back? Seriously, please don't go into PT thinking you will make even close to $200K. You may strike gold. However if you are earning a salary that is that disproportionately high compared to the rest of us, you either have legendary business acumen or are doing something illegal.

The truth is that PT's will always make a good living, but don't go in expecting the moon. Here's a better use of your time. Instead of focusing on $$$, focus on becoming the best clinician you can be. The dollars typically follow. Just my $200k worth...