Whats the magic number this year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

herewego

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Whats that magic number this year for # of interviews assuming you rank them all in order to match? 14+ ? What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm an MS4, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. That said, I would assume that the "magic number" is completely dependent on how competitive you are as a candidate.

I'm honestly confused by the whole "magic number" idea to begin with. On one hand, I've repeatedly heard that 10+ is what you should be shooting for. On the other hand, every single EM applicant from my school has matched into one of their top 3 choices for the past 2 years running (as a point of note, I go to a middle tier med school).

Obviously those people had more than 3 spots ranked and had the benefit of finding those top 3 among a larger interview pool, but I seriously doubt their results would have been measurably worse if they interviewed at far fewer places.

TL;DR: I have no firsthand experience to back this up, but I'm guessing that the whole "magic number" idea is really only applicable if you're worried about the strength of your candidacy.

Somewhere around 27. Less and you're screwed.

Members don't see this ad :)
You only need one!!

I keep telling myself that over and over and over and over ....