What's the most surprising thing you've been yelled at for?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ABCPharmD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't really get upset when people yell at me in retail anymore but occasionally I am surprised at why they're yelling at me. One of my techs faxed this to a clinic on an rx: "second request: please send an rx with a diagnosis code for insurance." Because the fax was handwritten and said "second request" on it the nurse ripped me a new one for minutes and called the staff sarcastic, rude, condescending, said we were accusing her of not doing her job, unprofessional for not calling... On and on. I tried to explain that we fax on all non-urgent matters because it's more efficient (most clinics love it and so do we, win-win). I also tried to explain that for faxes that aren't refill requests we have to print of a copy of the rx and hand write on them because we don't have a fancy fax machine where you can type something. She had none of it she thought we were being so rude and sarcastic to all of the clinics. Then she's like I already sent a new e-rx with a diagnosis code I have the message right here it says received by pharmacy on XX date at XX time. And I'm like the computer glitched and we don't have it. No big deal it just send it again. She also kept saying well what do you want me to do? Just send it again so we can move on... People how do you function in society like that?

Needless to say I was quite confused when she first started yelling. What is the most surprising thing you've been yelled at for?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
That the bathroom has locks lol

Yelled at because a drug dispensed was not manufactured in the United States. The customer threw a box of chapstick at the counter and complained to corporate.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For calling a gentlemen a sir. He wanted me to address him as a madame. He was clearly a SIR.

Reactions: 9 users
The ultimate procrastinator...guy comes in at 2:45am for his pre-op eye meds he needs for like 8am which he doesn't know which ones he is suppose to be taking (has no protocol with him or anywhere); half of which are filled at another closed store with directions that were questionable, the other half which appear needed prior authorization. He starts dropping f bombs every other word because he doesn't know what the hell he is suppose to be taking. Women in the store overheard and asked if the guy had Tourette's

Reactions: 1 users
Our store is right in front of a bus stop. So naturally we decided to become a Metrocard vendor. While I'm filling scripts for a customer and the technician is moving the garbage outside, some lady comes running in asking to buy a Metrocard. Told her to hold on a second, I'll get her one as soon as I'm done filling scripts for the guy that's in the store. Grab the metrocard, ringing her up, bus comes by and leaves. She flips out saying I should have dropped what I was doing with the prescriptions to do her Metrocard transaction. Told her to go **** herself.

It was windy outside and the patient at the drive-through dropped their ID and it blew away, and I wouldn't close the pharmacy down to go outside to search for it.

Yelled at because a drug dispensed was not manufactured in the United States. The customer threw a box of chapstick at the counter and complained to corporate.

I had something similar happen to me once. A woman called and asked me to look at the stock bottle on the shelf to see where her medication was made. It was made in Israel so she went on a racist and political rant about Jews and Israelis and wanted her meds transferred to another pharmacy if we couldn't order a manufacturer made in the US or a country she wanted.

A 20 minute @*(%$out from a customer that the pretty pharmacist wasn't working tonight (not a joke). Said pharmacist actually quit six months later and started working in a closed shop pharmacy due to the amount of customer harassment she received. She didn't go out of her way to dress provocatively or invite attention (in fact, quite the opposite), but was just physically striking enough that the Scottsdale customer group wanted to rescue her from work.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
That putting the credit card directly in the drive thru window near the metal bar was ruining his card and requested it only be sent back out the window in a change envelope

Yet the customer just threw it in there every time he came thru. So freaking weird.

I had something similar happen to me once. A woman called and asked me to look at the stock bottle on the shelf to see where her medication was made. It was made in Israel so she went on a racist and political rant about Jews and Israelis and wanted her meds transferred to another pharmacy if we couldn't order a manufacturer made in the US or a country she wanted.

And that is when you say "Certainly... (trash), contact that pharmacy and they will get the prescription transferred from us."

These people...

Last edited:
Yelled at because I took the "longer" route (walking past the bags of prescriptions rather than walking straight to her) to get to the cash register instead of taking a shorter route.

Dumbest. thing. ever.

Keep in mind this was a customer, and everyone acknowledged her as being senile. Frankly, I agree. What can you do though? I've also experienced that idiotic credit card/metal strip complaint as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yelled at because I took the "longer" route (walking past the bags of prescriptions rather than walking straight to her) to get to the cash register instead of taking a shorter route.

Dumbest. thing. ever.

Keep in mind this was a customer, and everyone acknowledged her as being senile. Frankly, I agree. What can you do though? I've also experienced that idiotic credit card/metal strip complaint as well.

I mean if you are really old and senile and pretty much in need of the meds I am about to hand you to keep it together... I get it. But otherwise, there is no excuse.

It was windy outside and the patient at the drive-through dropped their ID and it blew away, and I wouldn't close the pharmacy down to go outside to search for it.

This one is a classic... it has not happened to me but I have heard of several people wanting the pharmacist to come outside and get their ID or credit card for them. Or people wanting the techs to go get them toilet paper and a whole list of things. No tech of mine leaves the pharmacy for that. "I C 3"...

Our store is right in front of a bus stop. So naturally we decided to become a Metrocard vendor. While I'm filling scripts for a customer and the technician is moving the garbage outside, some lady comes running in asking to buy a Metrocard. Told her to hold on a second, I'll get her one as soon as I'm done filling scripts for the guy that's in the store. Grab the metrocard, ringing her up, bus comes by and leaves. She flips out saying I should have dropped what I was doing with the prescriptions to do her Metrocard transaction. Told her to go **** herself.

Man I would pay money to be able to tell certain customers to go **** themselves. The people that transfer their script to 8 different pharmacies before they realize that I was in fact telling the truth when I said their drug isn't covered, the people that don't have their insurance card and then start swearing and demand that I pull their insurance info out of thin air, the people that wait until 2 hours before an appointment/vacation to call in their script that has some kind of issue then make it my problem. It's usually someone that has no personal responsibility and gets angry/demanding. It seems like one of these customers shows up on an hourly basis and usually once a day I experience a total meltdown.

Last edited:
Because the printer was jammed lol

That I asked his date of birth. He said why he should give that info which is so personal.
He said he didnt feel comfortable and took rx back.

That the bathroom has locks lol

I have since added bathroom attendant to my resume.

Our store's drive thru was an alley between two buildings. An absolute wind tunnel. This happened multiple times.

Man I would pay money to be able to tell certain customers to go **** themselves. The people that transfer their script to 8 different pharmacies before they realize that I was in fact telling the truth when I said their drug isn't covered, the people that don't have their insurance card and then start swearing and demand that I pull their insurance info out of thin air, the people that wait until 2 hours before an appointment/vacation to call in their script that has some kind of issue then make it my problem. It's usually someone that has no personal responsibility and gets angry/demanding. It seems like one of these customers shows up on an hourly basis and usually once a day I experience a total meltdown.

Had a guy come through drive thru once, didn't have insurance card, didn't know who his insurance was through, and expected me to call and get his insurance info so that we could bill his insurance. When I told him that I didn't know who to call to obtain such information, and that there was nothing that I could do to help him, he proceeded to threaten me by saying that he was going to go home, get his gun and come back. No joke, true story. Luckily it was close to the end of my shift and if he did come back I wasn't there. Never saw the guy again.

That I asked his date of birth. He said why he should give that info which is so personal.
He said he didnt feel comfortable and took rx back.

Happens all the time <face-palm>

One of the funniest situations was when someone went to lane 2 to pick up because the line for lane 1 was too long. We kindly explained to her that lane 2 was for drop off only and that she needed to come around to lane 1. She refused so we refused to provide service to her. After waiting a while, she got frustrated and decided to throw a full bowl of chili into the the tube for lane 2 and sent it over to us. This put the tube system out of commission for about a week while we waited for corporate to come out and clean it up.

Reactions: 5 users
I woman came into buy Sudafed (nothing about her hinted at junkie), I asked to see her ID, and she pulls it out and flashes it at me, and I'm like, "um I really need to look at it and put the number in our system", and she went ballistic about identity fraud and that I couldn't have her license number, and I'm like "um, its federal law, I can't sell Sudafed without your information" and she ranted about how no other pharmacy has ever asked for ID before and she would go somewhere else. Whatever, I'm thinking she's bought Sudafed PE before, and didn't know that Sudafed is different.

I woman came into buy Sudafed (nothing about her hinted at junkie), I asked to see her ID, and she pulls it out and flashes it at me, and I'm like, "um I really need to look at it and put the number in our system", and she went ballistic about identity fraud and that I couldn't have her license number, and I'm like "um, its federal law, I can't sell Sudafed without your information" and she ranted about how no other pharmacy has ever asked for ID before and she would go somewhere else. Whatever, I'm thinking she's bought Sudafed PE before, and didn't know that Sudafed is different.

I had similar thing happen except it was a suspicious old guy and before leaving he called me a crackhead. Working downtown is always fun... I'm surprised I haven't been assaulted or robbed yet.

Or maybe she is a meth head and didn't want you to have the info logged. Addicts come in all shapes and sizes

I had a pt years ago who was part of a drug ring and she would get the supplies. May have been the same person ☺

Last edited:
I have since added bathroom attendant to my resume.

Our store's drive thru was an alley between two buildings. An absolute wind tunnel. This happened multiple times.

Had a guy come through drive thru once, didn't have insurance card, didn't know who his insurance was through, and expected me to call and get his insurance info so that we could bill his insurance. When I told him that I didn't know who to call to obtain such information, and that there was nothing that I could do to help him, he proceeded to threaten me by saying that he was going to go home, get his gun and come back. No joke, true story. Luckily it was close to the end of my shift and if he did come back I wasn't there. Never saw the guy again.

Happens all the time <face-palm>

One of the funniest situations was when someone went to lane 2 to pick up because the line for lane 1 was too long. We kindly explained to her that lane 2 was for drop off only and that she needed to come around to lane 1. She refused so we refused to provide service to her. After waiting a while, she got frustrated and decided to throw a full bowl of chili into the the tube for lane 2 and sent it over to us. This put the tube system out of commission for about a week while we waited for corporate to come out and clean it up.
I would have called the cops on that guy if I had his info

I would have called the cops on that guy if I had his info

Me too. It's pretty dumb to threaten someone who has your face on camera and your address. Then again we can't assume he's very smart if he expected you to pull his insurance info out of your ass

Are you sure this is a federal law and not a state one?

For calling a gentlemen a sir. He wanted me to address him as a madame. He was clearly a SIR.

This!

The most masculine sir I have ever met.... threaten to file a complaint to corporate because he did not want to be called sir.

When a customer has california medicaid and they "prefer the brand" then get pissed if the prescriber doesn't write medically necessary. Your not paying for it and legally you're not even required to pay a copay. Unless you want to pay for the brand like everyone else you can get but if you don't want to pay and you don't medically need brand don't complain.

There are not enough anti psychotic drugs in the world for some of these people.

Eh, that complaint with Medi-Cal "subscribers" is not surprising in the least. I got a few complaints once fee-for-service Medi-Cal stopped requiring dispensing brand Zyprexa, brand Geodon and brand Seroquel.

One guy comes in. he was like 23 years old. ghetto bronx dude, fitted cap, gold tooth, tats everywhere. says that his doctor sent his M30's to the right aid down the block and rite aid said they were out of stock of that medication and told him that they transferred the prescription over to us. I tell him that rite aid lied to him and controlled RX's can't be transferred. he demands that i call rite aid and fix the situation right away. i told him to just go back to rite aid which is literally like a 30 second walk down the block. and this dude flipped like i was telling him to go to new jersey or something.

I have AMAZING customer service at work. I don't say that to brag, but just to show you how asinine the situation I'm about to explain to you was. At work, I'm always addressing patient's by their name, asking if there's anything else I can do for them, etc.

Yesterday, a patient comes to drop off and just hands me his insurance card. Doesn't say a word. A big black guy in his 30's. I say this to give you pretense and to show you how intimidating he was.

So, I say are you checking a prescription sir? He nods his head. I check his profile and notice his doctor sent 3 prescriptions electronically about an hour prior and all 3 are ready. Two high blood pressure meds and Naproxen. I tell him that and say you can go to the pickup counter to pick it up. There was nobody at the pickup counter.

Out of the blue, he proceeds to begin screaming at the top of his lungs at me. For no reason. He kept saying "WHY ARE THE SCRIPTS READY. YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE FILLED THEM UNTIL I CAME TO THE PHARMACY AND ASKED YOU GUYS TO FILL THEM." I was in utter, not explainable shock. I looked at him, and when he stopped yelling, I said "Sir, doctors send prescriptions to us electronically, and we fill them. That's just the way we do it. As a matter of fact, every retail pharmacy does this...." I said this in the most nicest, patient-friendly way possible.

He goes off on another tangent, saying how Rite Aid and Walgreens NEVER (NEVER), "NEVER, EVER, EVER" fill prescriptions without the patient saying so. "THE WAY THE PHARMACY WORKS IS LIKE THIS YOU ******. THE DOCTOR SEND THE PRESCRIPTION ELECTRONICALLY TO YA GUYS. YA GUYS KEEP THE PRESCRIPTION, YA HOLD IT AND DO NOT FILL IT UNTIL WE COME TO YOU AND ASK FOR YOU GUYS TO FILL IT." I didn't know how to answer him. Can you imagine if we did that? Lol we would have no business. What would we do all day? Nonetheless, I said "I'm sorry sir, I won't fill your script anymore unless you ask us to. I'm gonna put a note in your profile not to fill your scripts unless you ask us t....

"I JUST ****ING TOLD YOU DO NOT FILL PEOPLES SCRIPTS UNLESS THEY TELL YOU TO. YOU DON'T ****ING KNOW HOW TO WORK IN A PHARMACY. WHOS YOUR SUPERVISOR? YOU? YOU THE SUPERVISOR? YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO DO YOUR DAMN JOB."

This went on for 2 more minutes, and if it had gone on for another minute I would have cursed him out myself and called the cops and banned him from the store.

I highly doubt ANYONE has been yelled at for a more WRONG reason at any point in their pharamcy lives than what I went through that day...

Reactions: 9 users
Yes, I do enjoy the non-sensical rants where some numbnuts off the street who probably doesn't even have a job tells me how the pharmacy should operate.

I have AMAZING customer service at work. I don't say that to brag, but just to show you how asinine the situation I'm about to explain to you was. At work, I'm always addressing patient's by their name, asking if there's anything else I can do for them, etc.

Yesterday, a patient comes to drop off and just hands me his insurance card. Doesn't say a word. A big black guy in his 30's. I say this to give you pretense and to show you how intimidating he was.

So, I say are you checking a prescription sir? He nods his head. I check his profile and notice his doctor sent 3 prescriptions electronically about an hour prior and all 3 are ready. Two high blood pressure meds and Naproxen. I tell him that and say you can go to the pickup counter to pick it up. There was nobody at the pickup counter.

Out of the blue, he proceeds to begin screaming at the top of his lungs at me. For no reason. He kept saying "WHY ARE THE SCRIPTS READY. YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE FILLED THEM UNTIL I CAME TO THE PHARMACY AND ASKED YOU GUYS TO FILL THEM." I was in utter, not explainable shock. I looked at him, and when he stopped yelling, I said "Sir, doctors send prescriptions to us electronically, and we fill them. That's just the way we do it. As a matter of fact, every retail pharmacy does this...." I said this in the most nicest, patient-friendly way possible.

He goes off on another tangent, saying how Rite Aid and Walgreens NEVER (NEVER), "NEVER, EVER, EVER" fill prescriptions without the patient saying so. "THE WAY THE PHARMACY WORKS IS LIKE THIS YOU ******. THE DOCTOR SEND THE PRESCRIPTION ELECTRONICALLY TO YA GUYS. YA GUYS KEEP THE PRESCRIPTION, YA HOLD IT AND DO NOT FILL IT UNTIL WE COME TO YOU AND ASK FOR YOU GUYS TO FILL IT." I didn't know how to answer him. Can you imagine if we did that? Lol we would have no business. What would we do all day? Nonetheless, I said "I'm sorry sir, I won't fill your script anymore unless you ask us to. I'm gonna put a note in your profile not to fill your scripts unless you ask us t....

"I JUST ****ING TOLD YOU DO NOT FILL PEOPLES SCRIPTS UNLESS THEY TELL YOU TO. YOU DON'T ****ING KNOW HOW TO WORK IN A PHARMACY. WHOS YOUR SUPERVISOR? YOU? YOU THE SUPERVISOR? YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO DO YOUR DAMN JOB."

This went on for 2 more minutes, and if it had gone on for another minute I would have cursed him out myself and called the cops and banned him from the store.

I highly doubt ANYONE has been yelled at for a more WRONG reason at any point in their pharamcy lives than what I went through that day...

I've had the exact same thing happen to me! Except it was some old fart and they weren't verbally abusive, just angry. I put a note in the profile then a month later when their new script is on-hold they flip out because it's not filled. No joke. Someone please put me out of my misery....

In your case I would have kicked the guy out of the pharmacy in a matter of seconds. I don't put up with verbal abuse nor would I allow someone to treat my co-workers this way in the name of customer service.

Last edited:
I've had the exact same thing happen to me! Except it was some old fart and they weren't verbally abusive, just angry. I put a note in the profile then a month later when their new script is on-hold they flip out because it's not filled. No joke. Someone please put me out of my misery....

In your case I would have kicked the guy out of the pharmacy in a matter of seconds. There's a difference between offering good customer service and being treated like a doormat and taking abuse, there's just no excuse to treat someone that way.

There was a guy around 30 tatted up and everything and he started to blow up like this a few months ago because of some insurance issue. I straight up told him if he's going to use that language he will have to go to a different pharmacy, and he actually apologized. You have to draw a line otherwise people will push it as far as they can.
Everyone gets a patient who flips out when their prescription IS filled, eventually. When it happens to me I ask them if they often call Domino's or Pizza Hut and explain to them in great detail the sort of pizza they enjoy eating and ask that it not be prepared at this time. An order for medication is still an order. Orders are filled unless there is a reason for the vendor to act otherwise.

I just tell them when a doctor sends a med order we fill it; that is the purpose of a pharmacy. Usually my arrogant and sarcastic tone escalates the situation but I try to avoid getting into pissing matches with idiots. Maybe I'm too young to be so bitter, or just in a bad mood as I start thinking about these things, but it doesn't take long to realize that you really can't underestimate the general public.

Last edited:
whenever patients complain like that and say other pharmacies do it differently, my answer is always "ok, get the hell out of here and go to that pharmacy"

I just tell them when a doctor sends a med order we fill it; that is the purpose of a pharmacy. Usually my arrogant and sarcastic tone escalates the situation but I try to avoid getting into pissing matches with idiots. Maybe I'm too young to be so bitter, or just in a bad mood as I start thinking about these things, but it doesn't take long to realize that you really can't underestimate the general public.
Absolutly, general public has to start realizing that we are not their doctors. We are not their insurance company. The amount of time I spend fighting things that are out of my control in effort to make the patients happy is getting to be a bit ridiculous. I'm just gonna be more firm with these people from now on.

I had a patient get mad at us because of the price of the med. She actually started yelling at my tech that we are money hungry. She then proceeded to want to talk to the pharmacist. So I went over and she started yelling at me to bring the price down. I told her thats how much it is with your insurance and she kept screaming "bullsh*t". I even told her we could fax the dr or call them but she said we would charge an arm and a leg for everything. Luckily there werent any other customers at the time but I was done with the disrespect. So I told her my job is to make sure my techs are complaint, we fill the correct medications for the correct patient with the correct directions/strength and we make sure there are no interactions. How you pay for your meds or the cost is not my problem lol
We are pharmacist. I'm not your accountant, your banker or a online coupon. I get ready what your Dr wants, or fax if you don't like the price. Anything in between not my issue. Surprisingly this tactic has worked with patients. It gets them to realize what is our job.

I had a patient get mad at us because of the price of the med. She actually started yelling at my tech that we are money hungry. She then proceeded to want to talk to the pharmacist. So I went over and she started yelling at me to bring the price down. I told her thats how much it is with your insurance and she kept screaming "bullsh*t". I even told her we could fax the dr or call them but she said we would charge an arm and a leg for everything. Luckily there werent any other customers at the time but I was done with the disrespect. So I told her my job is to make sure my techs are complaint, we fill the correct medications for the correct patient with the correct directions/strength and we make sure there are no interactions. How you pay for your meds or the cost is not my problem lol
We are pharmacist. I'm not your accountant, your banker or a online coupon. I get ready what your Dr wants, or fax if you don't like the price. Anything in between not my issue. Surprisingly this tactic has worked with patients. It gets them to realize what is our job.

Usually the only thing that works for me is telling them the price it would be without insurance lol. Works like a charm when people throw a fit about their 40 dollar insulin.

The more annoying ones are those discount card that say "Pay no more than 15 dollars" but then the card has a max benefit of 100 dollars in fine print. Then they act like it's my fault and say the pharmacy is a scam even though the card that they got for free is essentially a 100 dollar bill.

You are a little bitch so you deserve to be yelled at this way

Some of these stories are almost too hilarious to be true (though probably still true haha). Most of the patients I've encountered have been chill and understanding, and the few times things have escalated were understandable (patient had been repeatedly promised inaccurate wait time, we had told a patient that we couldn't fill any more pain meds for her anymore, etc). There was one time though, where it seemed completely out of left field...

I was calling patients to remind them to get meds refilled (at CVS), and while speaking to this one individual, I asked him to verify his birthday. He told me that he wasn't sure I was who I said I was, and asked which CVS I worked at. I had only been working as an intern for a week or so, and didn't have the address memorized, so the guy just flipped out. "YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT F***ING STORE YOU WORK AT! I'M NOT GIVING YOU ANY PERSONAL INFORMATION! I'M COMING DOWN THERE!". He never actually came down, just called back later. Fortunately, my boss took the call and smoothed things over.

You are a little bitch so you deserve to be yelled at this way

Looking at your post history- what a little ******* troll. Are you suicidal? Hate your life? Angry that you're stuck in a profession that you hate?

The way you talk when you post- you remind me of those pharmacists who come to work pissed off and angry at the world. The know it alls who think they know everything better than everyone, pick fights with patients, don't follow workflow on purpose, and do things your way to try and show off.

You're a troll, you bitch. Do me a favor, when you go to work tomorrow, steal 100 mcg/hour fentanyl patch from the safe and slap it on your chest when you go home. End your misery and make us all happy.

Looking at your post history- what a little ******* troll. Are you suicidal? Hate your life? Angry that you're stuck in a profession that you hate?

The way you talk when you post- you remind me of those pharmacists who come to work pissed off and angry at the world. The know it alls who think they know everything better than everyone, pick fights with patients, don't follow workflow on purpose, and do things your way to try and show off.

You're a troll, you bitch. Do me a favor, when you go to work tomorrow, steal 100 mcg/hour fentanyl patch from the safe and slap it on your chest when you go home. End your misery and make us all happy.
woah calm down there hombre lol

these thoughts probably cross your mind all the time but I don't think like that ... I'm content with where I amight right now

I rather be a troll than be what you are