Whats the purpose of research experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

haoran

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
When schools look at a candidate's research experience, what exactly are they trying to gauge? I ask since I think I have good research experience, but I've never actually worked in a research lab (or for an experience researcher).

Will my own independent research experiences carry weight with the more research-heavy medical schools? Should I figure out a way to get formal experience in a lab? Is all of this a moot point since my projects are psyc and public health rather than a hard science?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
internet-high-five.jpg

Yes, you're right. I could have asked the question without sounding like I was bragging. I'm embarrassed.

Do research heavy schools want to see that you've worked in labs and have been "trained" or supervised by an experienced researcher? Or is independent research enough?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, you're right. I could have asked the question without sounding like I was bragging. I'm embarrassed.

Do research heavy schools want to see that you've worked in labs and have been "trained" or supervised by an experienced researcher? Or is independent research enough?

Depends on what you mean by independent research. That could mean a lot of things.

By independent research I mean I typed out a paper with intro, methods, results, and discussion, and I presented the research in one way or another without ever being published.

By independent research I mean I typed out a paper with intro, methods, results, and discussion, and I presented the research in one way or another without ever being published.

So was this just writing a review article, or did you actually collect and analyze the data for this paper?

So was this just writing a review article, or did you actually collect and analyze the data for this paper?

Agreed. Research is less about the "typing" and more about the process. It doesn't need to be bench work in a lab and might not even need to be in a hard science. Med schools like to see research because those who show an interest in research before med school are more likely to continue. To a large extent med school mission statements focus on generating leaders in the field and a big part of leading in a scientific field is through research, publication and presentation. People who do research are more likely to go into academics, generate grant money etc as well. A number of the more competitive specialties essentially require it. a few of the residencies out there expect people to extend their time by a Year or two doing research. So if you enjoy it it definitely helps. If you can't stomach it, you can still get into most med schools, but it does close a few doors -- career-wise.