Whats the relative difficulty level of the Kaplan full length MCAT exams compared to the real thing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Are Kaplan exams harder, easier or about the same difficulty as the real AAMC MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

Unfortunately, this is a subjective question and there is no sample large enough (or unbiased enough) to give a correlative answer to this question. There is some common discussion of test prep companies deflating scores to achieve higher MCAT test results in accordance with their score promises, but be weary of buying into this too much.

While it is not what you want to hear, the best value you will get from practice tests is identifying weaknesses to plug before the real thing. If anything, shoot to get the largest % correct you can. These score numbers mean nothing, the official MCAT score is the only one you can take to the bank.

Members don't see this ad :)
@Chromium Surfer

Go with Kaplan or TPR if you want to reinforce content-review and get a feel for timing / overall test structure. Disregard scores other than making sure you can hit 504+. I would take these as a first 1 or 2 full-lengths.

Go with NS if you're ready for something harder and closer to the actual test (more experimental analysis). Ignore scores here as well because they are inflated. Just work on approach to each section and shoot for 65-70%+ correctness. They have a free diagnostic, FL1, and sample section bank with 460 discretes. Be wary of running through 4+ NS tests and staying in the 500 - 505 range because these are inflated scores and can mask problem areas.

Go with EK to get closest to the real thing and shoot for 65-70%+ correctness. The passages contain experimental data which is why these are great to practice with.

Section Banks / Official Guide Questions / CARS q-packs are also more valuable than Kaplan or TPR, even though they aren't a full length.

Each type of material is helpful, but in its own specific way.

Reactions: 1 user
@Chromium Surfer

Go with Kaplan or TPR if you want to reinforce content-review and get a feel for timing. Disregard scores other than making sure you can hit 504+.

Go with NS if you're ready for something harder and closer to the actual test (more experimental analysis). Ignore scores here as well because they are inflated. Just work on approach to each section and shoot for 65-70%+ correctness. They have a free diagnostic, FL1, and sample section bank with 460 discretes. Be wary of running through 4+ NS tests and staying in the 500 - 505 range because these are inflated scores and can mask problem areas.

Go with EK to get closest to the real thing and shoot for 65-70%+ correctness. The passages contain experimental data which is why these are great to practice with.

Section Banks / Official Guide Questions / CARS q-pack are also more valuable than Kaplan or TPR, even though they aren't a full length.

Each type of material is helpful, but in its own specific way.

I heard that NS exams were deflated a bit?

Also if you are shooting for a 517 but at least a 514 should you still be aiming for 65-70% correctness or higher?

Thanks!

@Chromium Surfer

I think NS is a bit inflated, but that's just my personal opinion from seeing posters write their score in relation to % correct. Though it may be hard, just ignore scores altogether except for the AAMC scored and focus on % correct / improvement.

This is why EK is nice, you just get a % correct. For your target range, take an EK test when you're ready and go for 70%+ correct. This and the section banks should help you prepare to hit that score on the unscored / scored AAMC.

Reactions: 1 users
Are Kaplan exams harder, easier or about the same difficulty as the real AAMC MCAT?

They are difficult in different ways. Scoring well on Kaplan is much more difficult than AAMC, I have never heard of anyone other than 2 people breaking the 515 mark on kaplan but it happens all the time on AAMC. Also Kaplan asks questions differently than AAMC. A lot more content and problem solving vs AAMC's data interpretation and research design.

Kaplan is completely useless in predicting your score on the actual MCAT. I got a 500 on the diagnostic and a 517 on the real thing. They don't mimic the AAMC question facts and instead focus on obscure low-yield details. Your money is better spent on EK and NS.