What's the salary for an orthopedic spine surgeon?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bronxtale

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on becoming a spine surgeon in the future. Does anybody know the starting salary of an orthopedic spine surgeon? I heard they're the highest paid docs; but I only want to be one because Im interested in the field. Also, how many days a week does a spine surgeon work? I need full information and if anyone here is an orthopedic spine surgeon, it'll be lovey to hear from you!

ALSO, my dream car is a Maybach, I'm in love with it! Can I buy a Maybach with my salary if I become a spine surgeon? Thanks for your time guys!!
Btw I'm a high school senior :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Lmao.

-0/10

Reactions: 3 users
I'm planning on becoming a spine surgeon in the future. Does anybody know the starting salary of an orthopedic spine surgeon? I heard they're the highest paid docs; but I only want to be one because Im interested in the field. Also, how many days a week does a spine surgeon work? I need full information and if anyone here is an orthopedic spine surgeon, it'll be lovey to hear from you!

ALSO, my dream car is a Maybach, I'm in love with it! Can I buy a Maybach with my salary if I become a spine surgeon? Thanks for your time guys!!

Spine surgeons make, on average, 4.238 million dollars per year. But that is only the average spine surgeon. If you are willing to work more than the average 3 days per week from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., without ever taking call, you can make more. I know a spine surgeon that only does lumbar fusions on well insured celebrities using copious amounts of infuse, that never has complications. He makes tons of money and has the satisfaction of knowing he is able to "just help those in need." It's a pretty typical scenario. He does spend a lot of time on the side "consulting" with several (8) different device manufacturers, so that eats up nearly 14 hous a month. You will need to take that into consideration if you plan to do spine. You have to have consulting agreements.

As for a Maybach, that's a good car for your driver, but you will likely need another daily driver like a Porche GT3 to haul around your mistress, or BMW 7 series for hauling the family to private landing strip for your Cessna.

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Spine surgeons make, on average, 4.238 million dollars per year. But that is only the average spine surgeon. If you are willing to work more than the average 3 days per week from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., without ever taking call, you can make more. I know a spine surgeon that only does lumbar fusions on well insured celebrities using copious amounts of infuse, that never has complications. He makes tons of money and has the satisfaction of knowing he is able to "just help those in need." It's a pretty typical scenario. He does spend a lot of time on the side "consulting" with several (8) different device manufacturers, so that eats up nearly 14 hous a month. You will need to take that into consideration if you plan to do spine. You have to have consulting agreements.

As for a Maybach, that's a good car for your driver, but you will likely need another daily driver like a Porche GT3 to haul around your mistress, or BMW 7 series for hauling the family to private landing strip for your Cessna.

To much work, switching into psych now

Damn, my peds ortho fellowship training is only going to get me around 500k. Im a ****ing failure.

I knew it was a good day to come in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l91ISfcuzDw

Seriously though--based on current reimbursements (which will likely change), you can make a cool mil as a spine doc.

Maybach doesn't manufacture cars anymore... Different career then. :laugh:

We all want to be a surgeons until reality sets in... the first year of college when your talking to your advisor and he or she tells you it will take a decade to get there ... o.0

Hi, I was wondering if you knew who earns a higher salary a neurosurgeon or an orthopedic spine surgeon ( that is what you were referring to by "spine surgeon" right)?Also I heard that general orthopedic surgeons go to school for 8 years,is this accurate?

Reactions: 1 users
Can't tell if these posts are for real or if this is all a joke. Either way, the most recent data from Careers in Medicine (2013):

Orthopedic Surgeon (all fields) median salary = $380,725 @ 1-2 years of practice; $559,137 (private)/ $504,000 (academic) established in career
Orthopedic Spine Surgeon median salary = $717,841

So, there's the numbers. The road to becoming an ortho surgeon is as follows:
4 years Undergrad
4 years Med School
5-6 years ortho residency (depending on the program)
1 year ortho fellowship (e.g. subspecialty training: ortho spine, joints, sports, hand, foot/ankle, trauma, etc.)

Post-undergrad time = 10-11 years

The salaries are among some of the highest in the medical profession.
It takes a fair bit of post training experience to make a million in a year, I guess.
But I don't understand why so many patients are in pain post op and the reason for fbss seems to be quite vague. Criticism is all over the internet. Does spine have a good outlook when the media is saying bad things?

Focus your time on all girls in their prime around you before age/drinking/makeup ruins them.
Damn, my peds ortho fellowship training is only going to get me around 500k. Im a ****ing failure.

I feel bad for your asian parents, you disgraced the whole family.