Whats your best story of studying for MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skiboy0531

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so I was obsessing over the MCAT for several months. I like to think that I never missed an opportunity to study. On night towards the end of the spring semester at my school some friends invited me to go to dinner with them. After initially saying no I relented deciding that I could still study later that evening. Once we had finished, they asked me to go out barhopping with them. I'm one to procrastinate so I decided to go, but not with out first grabbing some sheets of loose leaf paper with Ochem reactions on them. Later on that night at about 1:30 when the bar we were in was thinning out and I was still semi functional I decided to study. There I was sitting at the bar, hammered with a beer in one hand and studying for the MCAT. After several minutes my friends realized what I was doing and let the whole place know how much of a nerd I was. Some random fat guy declared that I was going to be a gynecologist and starts to chant gyno, gyno, gyno. Then when we leave this same guy gets the rather attractive female bartender to come over and says, "so since this guy is going to be a gynecologist can he examine your vagina?"
True story, I know some people out there have other good stories of MCAT studying so lets hear them.

Members don't see this ad.

once i was at studying at the coffee shop until like 2 a.m.

woo-ee, that was cray-z

Members don't see this ad :)
One time I studied in a quiet room for a couple months, and then I took the MCAT.

One time I took the test and then I didn't have to study anymore.

:laugh:

Actually, I was studying at the library on Valentine's Day this year. Out of nowhere, about 5 people dressed in pink ninja suits run over, throw candy at everyone, and whisper "Happy Valentine's Day" before scurrying off.

The best part was that no one around me seemed to think this was hilarious. A guy across from me didn't look up from his computer once until like 5 min later- grabbed a piece of candy, unwrapped it, and ate it...as if it was sitting there all along. lol

I was taking a full-length practice test while my whole family was away skiing, so the house was completely silent...Suddenly, a low-flying plane roared past my house. The loud noise made me fall out of my seat and almost gave me a heart-attack, since I was already tense from taking the FL. I had to pause the test, and relax for a while....

I used to sneak into lab at 9 AM on Saturday mornings and take my practice exams on my work computer. Made me feel like I was in a testing center (away from home, sterile environment, etc.). It's nice too, because there's practically no one in the building at 9 AM on a saturday morning.

Anyway, I was tackling a particularly difficult Physical Sciences section...really, really stressed out about it actually...and my PI walks into the room with a post-doc candidate to show him the lab/office space. I normally close the door to my office in hope to prevent such things from happening, but alas...he didn't care. He starts a conversation with me (while my exam clock is ticking) and asks if I can sit down and talk with him for a bit...haha, which I sort of rudely replied..."Can it wait until I finish this exam? I'm sort of in the middle of it."

Got a 9 on that section, which was below average. Really broke my groove. Luckily it wasn't test day.

Otherwise, I don't think I've had many scandalous moments while studying for the MCATS :)

Once upon a time two young and ambitious premeds began their trek to the uncharted territories of the Ft. Wayne IN region, a place known to wreak havoc on those brave enough to take the pilgrimage to achieve medical enlightenment. The morning was suspiciously sunny, almost too suspiciously sunny, if you get my drift. The natives smiled superficially at our heroes as they entered the barren outskirts of Ft. Wayne, as if they knew completely how their story would end.
Yet they pressed on. After all, the grueling training that they had endured for the past six months was designed to prepare them for the day's events. Their mentor Kaplan-sensai assured them as much, having sparred with each of them countless times before. But today was no simulation. Today was the real thing.
The doors opened smoothly and a young band of premeds from around the region met them inside, each standing as bravely as the next. Some also claimed to be pupils of Kaplan-sensai; others studied under Prince Ton, an esteemed warrior known throughout the kingdom as Kaplan-sensai's rival. Today our heroes would prove thier master well and outperform Prince Ton's pupils, or at least they hoped.
One-by-one the gatekeeper led the young premeds to the dungeons of the EmKat, the most vile beast known to their generation. They were to endure five hours of head-to-head combat against the wits of the dreaded EmKat, and if they were lucky the rations of energy potion and months of preparing would be enough to overcome the monumental obstacle.
But it was not to be.
Deep into the second-phase of EmKat's life, the digital soul of the beast performed an unfathomable invisibility charm on itself in front of one of our heroes. He was unable to locate the riddles that the EmKat had conjured, and as he believed to deliver the final blow, the beast's second-phase still stood tall. After all, the riddles are the Emkat's source of life and without destroying them, the creature lives on.
His accomplice did not fare so well, either, as the Emkat's physical strength proved to be too much to overcome. As the legend goes, the journey home was one of depressing solitude, despite them taking the trip together.

But seriously, I somehow skipped a page of questions in VR my first time around :( None of my studying experiences were even remotely interesting enough to spin into a "story".

I realized that cramming for MCAT wouldn't do me any good, especially the night before. So I ended up going to see a concert with a friend and the show was still one of the best shows I've seen in my life (out of the hundreds of bands I've seen live in my life). No regret at all. And it helped me relax.

Just relax and you will do fine.

This one time, at band camp while studying for the MCAT....

I haven't taken physics in almost 5 years, and I didn't want to wait until after I retook it, so I was studying for about 8-10 hours a day. I drive a truck so much of it was listening to audio osmosis. I also work nights. Anyway I got off one morning about 5am, went to bed and my wife woke me up about 8am as she was "in the mood" and the kids were still asleep. Apparently, half asleep, I told her she had to choose one of the 4 forces. She could choose there would no longer be equilibrium. When I finially fully woke up she was informing me that I have the worst bedroom talk of anyone.

I took the MCAT in August and then began studying from September to December for about 4 hours a day, just to make sure I did well. :thumbup:

I haven't taken physics in almost 5 years, and I didn't want to wait until after I retook it, so I was studying for about 8-10 hours a day. I drive a truck so much of it was listening to audio osmosis. I also work nights. Anyway I got off one morning about 5am, went to bed and my wife woke me up about 8am as she was "in the mood" and the kids were still asleep. Apparently, half asleep, I told her she had to choose one of the 4 forces. She could choose there would no longer be equilibrium. When I finially fully woke up she was informing me that I have the worst bedroom talk of anyone.

worst bedroom talk? that's the best use of force talk I've ever heard
good job

My story is kind of embarrassing. A friend and myself were studying physics. I can't remember the exact problem now, but one part of the question had 1^2.
We got the answer wrong and of course were shocked (as it was a rather easy problem), and went back. We spent at least 20 minutes trying to figure out exactly what it was we had done wrong...
As it turns out 1^2 is not 2.

D'oh!

It's always the little things, right? :laugh:

:laugh:

Actually, I was studying at the library on Valentine's Day this year. Out of nowhere, about 5 people dressed in pink ninja suits run over, throw candy at everyone, and whisper "Happy Valentine's Day" before scurrying off.

The best part was that no one around me seemed to think this was hilarious. A guy across from me didn't look up from his computer once until like 5 min later- grabbed a piece of candy, unwrapped it, and ate it...as if it was sitting there all along. lol

Ahahaha.... I think that is the same group that did human-sized pacman in the UGLI and Fishbowl...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FGzOoVvo6w

My (okay, admittedly cheap) table collapsed while I was researching what to study for the MCAT. Does that count?

I used to sneak into lab at 9 AM on Saturday mornings and take my practice exams on my work computer. Made me feel like I was in a testing center (away from home, sterile environment, etc.). It's nice too, because there's practically no one in the building at 9 AM on a saturday morning.

Anyway, I was tackling a particularly difficult Physical Sciences section...really, really stressed out about it actually...and my PI walks into the room with a post-doc candidate to show him the lab/office space. I normally close the door to my office in hope to prevent such things from happening, but alas...he didn't care. He starts a conversation with me (while my exam clock is ticking) and asks if I can sit down and talk with him for a bit...haha, which I sort of rudely replied..."Can it wait until I finish this exam? I'm sort of in the middle of it."

Got a 9 on that section, which was below average. Really broke my groove. Luckily it wasn't test day.

Otherwise, I don't think I've had many scandalous moments while studying for the MCATS :)

That's certainly one of the more innocuous things your PI could catch you doing in a semi-abandoned lab at 9am.

:laugh::rofl:LOL! I work a lot and most of my studying is done at night so I always end up dreaming about whatever I was studying. However, that has never happened to me hahaha.