Menu Icon Search
Close Search

About the ads

Whats your favorite disease??

Discussion in 'Pre-Veterinary' started by Orion12, 06.16.13.

1. Orion12

Orion12

Pre-Veterinary

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Just a fun/dorky thread that I thought would make for good conversation and perhaps maybe I can learn something too :p

So what is your favorite disease that you have either read about or seen at a clinic? Mine has always been a teratoma which is a benign tumor that can have literally anything in it! Usually they are very different then surrounding tissues and they can contain teeth, eyes, limbs, or just another completely separate tissue. So crazy and totally cool!! Surgery is the treatment for these tumors.

Tell me about your favorite disease! If you know the mechanism behind the disease and how to treat it add that in too. :love:
  2. cs5910

cs5910 The Ohio State CVM 2017

Veterinary Student
    My human friend had surgery for a teratoma! Apparently she absorbed her twin when she was in her mothers womb... They removed it when my friend was 18 years old...that critter had a lot of teeth and hair!!

My favorites are the endocrine diseases (Cushing's, Addison's, Hypoparathyroidism etc)... I think the regulation of these diseases are extremely interesting.
  3. cadisestrama

cadisestrama DAVIS C/O 2018!!!

Pre-Veterinary
    I haven't really had much experience with disease or whatnot. But I do like the Fibropapilloma virus in sea turtles that causes tumors. It's interesting 'cause not much is known about how it spreads and how to really control/treat it besides removing the tumors themselves.
  4. orca2011

orca2011 PennWe c/o 2016!!! Gold Donor

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I really like the prion diseases and would love to get involved in research on them. It started out as just an interest and then my friend's mom died from sporadic CJD, so it became way more personable.
  5. sunshinevet

sunshinevet

Veterinary Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    I love pancreatitis, septic peritonitis and love/hate parvo. Thats the critical care nerd coming out in me.
  6. cs5910

Veterinary Student
    Wow, I had no idea that we had CJD in the US yet...That's so sad.. I am really sorry about your friend :(
  7. cowgirla

cowgirla Oklahoma 2014

Veterinarian
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    If I had to do research, it would totally be on fescue toxicosis. I've been fascinated with it for years. I'm doing my grand rounds presentation on fescue in broodmares and all my reading is doing is creating more questions that no one has answered yet!

I've also got a soft spot for Lyme and other tick borne diseases. And piroplasmosis. And equine encephalitides. And nutritional/metabolic diseases of dairy cattle. And Johnes. And Preg tox.

(Wait, I had to pick one??)
  8. felinelvr44

felinelvr44 Cornell c/o 2017

Veterinary Student
    I looove prion disease. Get a few drinks in me and it's one of my favorite party topics. (Not even kidding - someone asked me at a party literally yesterday what my favorite disease was and I went on and on about prions for 20 minutes, scaring the hell out of them :D).

Besides that, I've been enjoying learning about GI issues like IBD, colitis, enteritis, etc. I've been thinking about looking into internal medicine but we'll see how I feel in a few years.
  9. NStarz

NStarz Ohio State c/o 2016

Veterinary Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Prion diseases are really neat.

Though, I have to admit, I'm really on a cancer kick lately. It's. So. Damn. Interesting.
  10. neocia

neocia

Pre-Veterinary
    As a kidney stone-sufferer myself (would not wish kidney stones on anyone!!), I'm interested in renal failure and bladder stones in animals. I also just took a friends' goldfish to get kidney cancer treatment, actually.
  11. wolfspeaker

wolfspeaker

Non-Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    :thumbdown: Hate Johnes.

I get a perverse pleasure in draining abscesses on livestock. :laugh:

E: Yes, I know, not a disease.
  12. washbucket

washbucket UC Davis c/o 2017

Pre-Veterinary
    I've never seen a case of it, but my favorite infectious disease is far and away Yersinia pestis. I even have the Giant Microbe plushie of it (I call him Ernie the Plague Bacillus :laugh: ).

I don't have a favorite genetic disease or environmentally caused disease...at the moment.
  13. JaynaAli

JaynaAli Class of 2015

Veterinary Student
    I love things you can find and diagnose in blood. Cytauxzoon, ehrlichias, and especially fungal infections like histoplasmosis. Granted, the diseases usually suck for the animals, but that goes to show that "cool" for a pathology-minded person isn't exactly "cool" for the animal. I mean, I wouldn't wish it on an animal by any means, but its very satisfying to be the one to discover the cause of the disease.
  14. orca2011

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    HAhaha. This is totally me. Someone once asked me a quick question about them and then I went on like 20 minute speech. I got so excited when my biochem group actually got assigned to due a presentation on them for class this year. I emailed me group and was like "I hate to be that person, but I'm like seriously excited about this one."

I'm getting more interested in bladder stones. I have a guinea pig with sludge/possible stone issues and since no one really knows 100% what causes it and the best way to treat it, I've been doing a bit of reading on my own.
  15. orca2011

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I don't think there has been any documented cases of the variant CJD ( the version from BSE infected products) but the sporadic version happens to I think a couple hundred people a year in the states. And then there is a familial and iatrogenic version of it too. And then all the other animal prion disease.

I do feel bad that I get so excited over such a horrible disease. Hearing my friend describe what she and her mom went through is just heartbreaking and she's had a lot of difficulty dealing with the loss.
  16. cloverbug

cloverbug

Pre-Veterinary
    I've always been fascinated by the Black Plague. I think it's because such a small organism caused a lot of damage in a very small amount of time, and how to prevent it really wasn't that hard to do. I also like how it reshaped Europe, in that blood types are highly skewed towards A now for some reason I can't fully remember and it's believed that it somehow produced a gene that doesn't make the thingy (the name escapes me) that HIV attaches to. That is pretty nifty.
  17. WhtsThFrequency

WhtsThFrequency walk like a monkey, kick like a mule

Fellow [Any Field]
    Veterinarian SDN 7+ Year Member
    Pythiosis

Any of the systemic fungi - Blasto, Coccidiodes, Histoplasmosis.

I also like the plant toxicoses - eg Veratrum californicum causing cyclopia in lambs

Also GI diseases because they can be so complex....that's what I'm doing my fellowship in.
  18. WhtsThFrequency

Fellow [Any Field]
    :laugh: Yup.

Aside from the rabid horses I've have, my favorites were pythium taking over the entire third compartment (equivalent to the abomasum) in a camel and toxoplasmosis in a lemur. Also recently had a cool collision tumor - dog had both a meningioma AND lymphoma that had tracked all through the meninges.
  19. cs5910

Veterinary Student
    YES. I love draining/popping/squeezing hahah I know its gross, but its so rewarding. Epidermal inclusion cysts have become a hobby of mine at the clinic. :thumbup: :thumbup:
  20. Frozenshades

Frozenshades KSU c/o 2017! Gold Donor

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Been pretty interested in Chagas disease lately. Seems to be not very well known (it's considered a neglected tropical disease), but it's on the move. Tricky to diagnose, tough to treat.
  21. WhtsThFrequency

Fellow [Any Field]
    Funny story (as a Texan, you'll appreciate this).

My first week on necropsy as a brand-new resident, the pathologist is quizzing the fourth years before we go out on the floor. We had a heart failure case, so he asks "Ok guys, what is a good differential for infectious heart disease in a dog, especially in Texas?"

One of the students pipes up "Chagas!"

I snicker to myself, thinking "Someone's been watching too much House."

Pathologist goes "Good!"

I internally go :eek: and think "Where the hell did I move?" :laugh: Chagas was like a footnote in my classes back on the East Coast!

Take home message: if you end up practicing somewhere else, be prepared to move stuff up and down your differential list. Things you may have almost never heard of may be commonplace there!
  22. cs5910

Veterinary Student
    "It's never Lupus!" - Hehe I love House!! :laugh:
  23. Angelo84

Angelo84 Tufts Class of 2011

Veterinary Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Come to Colorado-my first inpatient was a plague case--fun coming out of Tufts where were we pretty much said plague exists in the south west moving on!
  24. washbucket

washbucket UC Davis c/o 2017

Pre-Veterinary
    :thumbup:
    Prarie dogs are a reservoir species in the southwest, right?
  25. Frozenshades

Frozenshades KSU c/o 2017! Gold Donor

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    :laugh:

It's sarcoidosis for sure this time.
  26. ChittyBang

ChittyBang c/o 2018 hopeful

Pre-Veterinary
    Demodectic mange.

I also have a soft spot for what I lovingly call "thyroid kitties". You know, the skinny, greasy guys with sunken eyes? Love them.
  27. epivetlove

epivetlove Texas A&M c/o 2018!

Veterinary Student
    Zoonotic diseases all the way! I studied dengue, lassa, and hantavirus for my Master's program and just think anything that can spread from animals to people is fascinating.
  28. EngrSC

EngrSC

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    GI stuff because of my own health problems. I shadowed an internist and it was so fascinating. And endocrine diseases ... loved that section of my physio class :love:
  29. pulseczar

pulseczar

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    i think schistosomes and giardia are really interesting parasites. I think we can all agree the first time we saw a giardia trophozoite we probably thought it was quite cute. :laugh:

most interesting topic in vet school has to be acid-base electrolyte imbalances. Affects all systems and is, in my opinion, the toughest area of pathophysiology to grasp theoretically.
  30. skittles12

skittles12 UTCVM class of 2014

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I've always thought that laminitis is really interesting. Or EPM--mostly because one of my own horses had it.
  31. Finnsheep

Finnsheep

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Any of the ovine RNA viruses...

Maedi-visna is by far the most fascinating to me, but Jaagsiekte, Cache Valley, Schmallenberg, and about a million others are deeply interesting.

Scrapie holds a fair degree of interest, as does actinobacillus (Cruels abscesses). Enterotoxemia as well.

Anything that has to do with sheep, really.

I'm doing Haemonchus and OPP research right now.
  32. Jamr0ckin

Jamr0ckin UTK c/o 2016

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Diabetes mellitus, Cushings, and DIC are 3 of my favorites. I'm a medicine girl. :)
  33. bunnity

bunnity Penn 2014

Veterinary Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Haha those are the ones that make me go, "But why can't I just cut it open instead?"
  34. Minnerbelle

Minnerbelle Moderator Emeritus

Veterinary Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Yeah no kidding! A shelter cat in CO had huge submandibular lymphadenopathy that was missed because the staff just thought they were just big tom cat jowls. Yeah... well so we figured maybe it was just lymphoma. Next day this cat sneezes into one of the techs' face. That same day, another cat came in with huuuuge lymph nodes. I remembered then that one of the vets was like, "so the top three differentials for lymph nodes like this for cats around here are lymphoma, plague, or tularemia" when we first discovered the first cat's lymph node :eek:

Turns out it wasn't plague or tularemia, but it gave us a huge scare and the tech had to go to urgent care.
  35. MysteryCat

MysteryCat

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I'm kinda a trauma gal, but anything endocrine is really interesting to me as well. Also? I love this thread! :thumbup:
  36. Coquette22

Coquette22 AVC C/O 2015

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Congestive heart failure. Odd, since it claimed my dog. But I just find it fascinating - the mechanisms, the pathology, the physiology. I'm one of those weird people who adores cardiac physiology and anatomy though.
  37. DVMDream

DVMDream Grrrrr! Gold Donor

Veterinary Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Me too!! :D

I love everything cardiac.. especially the congenital diseases... PDA? I can fix that... :)
  38. SV88

SV88

Pre-Veterinary
    the tick borne diseases are quite interesting.
  39. Whyevernot55

Whyevernot55 OKSU 2016!

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I am obsessed with all things neurology. This may or may not have something to do with the fact that my horse turned into a Super Cool neuro case last fall. I mean, cool if he wasn't personally my horse that I was dealing with.

Also I'm working in a lab that deals in tick-borne disease and I absolutely love parasitology, so that's super fun.
  40. psilovethomas

psilovethomas scoobaru

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I like radiology, so I like diseases the produce really cool images. Like splenic torsion, GDVs, and bone lesions.
  41. Trilt

Trilt NCSU c/o 2016

Veterinary Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Not an animal disease, but on the prion topic, freaking fatal familial insomnia is terrifying. Live until you're in your later years, then you start having trouble sleeping. Then you can't sleep, ever. Even a coma can't get you REM sleep, and you die from that within a year or so. Ugh. Glad it's ridiculously rare.
  42. SV88

SV88

Pre-Veterinary
    Good lord, that sounds like something you'd see on Fringe.
  43. Kylana

Kylana WCVM 2015

Veterinary Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    I like avian cholera (Pasteurella multocida) since it is crazy how quickly it can kill thousands of birds at once! Okay well I feel bad saying "like"...maybe I find it interesting and kind of scary?

Echinococcus would be my next fav. I think Taeniid eggs are so pretty :)
  44. Crystalight33

Crystalight33 UTK c/o 2017!!

Veterinary Student
    Me three! Lol.

My favorite would have to be hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. I think it's really cool how similar it is in cats and humans. Though now every time I see a cat that is down in the rear legs I'm thinking saddle thrombus :(
  45. EngrSC

EngrSC

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    That sounds horrific!!!! I've never even heard of it!

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal