What's your incenstive for going out-of-state for PT program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NATO

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you who opt/opted to go out of state for PT school, what's your incenstive for doing so? I would love to apply to an out-of-state PT school and live in a different area of the country for 3 years, but the high out-of-state tution is what's holding me back. I did both my undergrad and grad degress (both non-science related) within a 1 hour drive from my hometown and lived with my family to save on living expenses. I REALLY feel like I missed out on something because of it. I feel like if I attend PT school out-of-state, then I'll finaly experience that something...whatever the heck that something is. Does that make sense or am I just rambling on because it's been a long and exhausting week? :oops:

I live in VA and will be applying to the 2 public universities after completeing my pereqs; specifically, VCU and ODU. These schools are so much cheaper than the private PT schools in VA. I SHOULD apply to more schools, but I'm not sure which out-of-state public PT schools are not so expensive compared to others. Any advice? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Incentive....well for one, the students with low gpas, such as myself, are applying broadly. Secondly, some schools tuition are pretty low even for out of state, and private schools. Youre saying some schools are cheap in VA, how cheap is cheap?

Cheap to me for an out-of state (private-so it doesn't matter) Rasalind Franklin says its about $23K per year of tuition. Alabama State (albeit an HBCU but it doesn't matter if it is an HBCU) is round about $50K for all three years in tuition.

Living expenses will be there of course, but tuition aren't that bad. Especially for students with 2.97 overall gpa (I'll have a 3.02 after two weeks when summer session ends) who have to get the scraps from the smarter kids.

Oh and yeah...i know how you feel. I stayed home during all my undergrad and haven't moved out yet...im still waiting to see if I get in somewhere before I decide to sign a lease. But, I felt the same way, like I haven't really felt the "college life" of being away from home, but the older you get you come to realize that you did a smart thing by saving money. Ive met people that have no jobs right out of college starting to pay for their student loans.

Plus, Im not a party-er, or a drinker so I really didn't miss out on anything anyway.

I'm at VCU right now and i'd say its defintely a good program. I would recommend going to the most affordable place for you though which would be VCU or ODU (around 40-45k) compared to out of state or private schools. Any VA program will give you a solid degree and education but if you can save thousands or tens of getting the degree then defintely consider it. We only have one class (anatomy) right now but most of us spend a large amount of time in class or the lab already so keep that in mind. Also in the program here a few people live at home and they don't seem to mind it. They are still here in class and lab most of the day and spend nights and weekends studying or going out with others so you can defintely still experience grad life while living at home.

Good luck with the application process man and if you have any questions about the VCU program, pm me and I might know it.