What's your opinion on a B.A./M.D. Program

hippo_crates

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So the title says it all. I'm considering applying to one in addition to other state schools. I live in California and I know that it's one of the more competitive places to apply in so I like the security of a combined program but I'm still not sure. Just wanted to hear any input or experience anyone has had.

Members don't see this ad.

It's a great opportunity if you know beforehand you like the school. Having a guaranteed acceptance to a med school in CA is awesome too.

That's kinda what I was thinking but I wasn't sure and I had heard a bunch of different info about them

Members don't see this ad :)
What would be the conditions of your matriculation into the MD portion of your degree? Do you need to meet certain GPA requirements? Do you need a certain MCAT score? How many students are accepted and how many apply? Maybe search for other threads on BS/MD programs.

There are several important features of a B.A./M.D. you definitely should consider, including whether it is restrictive or non-restrictive (i.e. are you allowed to apply out and still be guaranteed an acceptance at your home school provided you met all the requirements?). Maybe you'll grow tired of living in the same place and seeing the same faces after 4 years...maybe you'll find out that medicine is not your calling...it's great to have the security of a guaranteed acceptance sitting there for you, but it's also great to be able to have your options open in case you change your mind in 4 years (and believe me, that happens more often than you would think).

Honestly, I'm not one of its biggest supporters. I feel like my interests and priorities have changed so much in the last four years that being bound to a BA/MD program's requirements might have made me unhappy. Obviously it varies by school, but unless you know you're absolutely in love with that school and wouldn't mind spending 8 years there, it might not be the best choice for you. It became very clear to me that I would not like to spend another four years here, even though I love college and all!