What's your "Why"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

canmed96

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious, what is your "why" for going into medicine. I don't mean the fancy-worded application personal statement. Truly at your core, why go into medicine, what wakes you up in the morning to do so?

Members don't see this ad.

$$$$$

Obviously an oversimplification, but the pragmatic aspects of the career are clear.

Reactions: 2 users
Because its the best career choice out there besides engineering/computer science.

Job security, high wages, moderately interesting line of work, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
a0133af6df8488abcb3bd3f0c2efd08e.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Money, prestige, parental approval, impressing really dumb hotties at bars.

Need help writing your secondary essays?
lol not quite, still a year away from the app, just have some times when i feel like my reasons for choosing the field aren't good enough

lol not quite, still a year away from the app, just have some times when i feel like my reasons for choosing the field aren't good enough

here's a secret. most of these applicants don't actually have a great reason either. If "helping people" is the reason, i'd argue it's naive beyond belief and they're gonna be in for a world of disappointment when they come across their first -- oh we can't give you this chemo cuz your insurance blows.

Reactions: 3 users
basically cash, chicks, MD badge, prestige, social status. I will update with more when I think of them.

edit: power, boats

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
basically cash, chicks, MD badge, prestige, social status. I will update with more when I think of them.

That's the thing, this is what most people do it for but won't admit. For some reason it's tactless to be transparent about your motives. Everybody needs some crazy sappy story in order to be "genuine".

Like in any good interview, you have to turn it around on them. They ask "Why medicine?", you say "Why not?" with a wink.

Reactions: 13 users
Just curious, what is your "why" for going into medicine. I don't mean the fancy-worded application personal statement. Truly at your core, why go into medicine, what wakes you up in the morning to do so?

My alarm and the fact that I've already tried another career and like this one better (still in training though)

Because its the best career choice out there besides engineering/computer science.

Job security, high wages, moderately interesting line of work, etc.

I agree for the most part but I'll say it does depend on what type of engineering you're doing. I worked in oil and processing engineering and eventually got bored. But if I was better at coding (and didn't like biomedical research as much) and could work for Google or Amazon, I'm not sure how my life would have turned out.

Members don't see this ad :)
In all seriousness, personal sense of fulfillment from the work done, impact on society, financial stability and job security, prestige are the factors behind my decision in that order. Of course, my number one reason is that I put the matter to prayer and felt God was calling me into this area of work through the doors that were opened in my life.

Also:

felt God was calling me into this area of work through the doors that were opened in my life.

This too. If I had gone to college out of high school id be in some career I most likely don't like because I didn't know enough about myself. And if I hadn't been unable to find a job at one point I would have never taken the crap job that ultimately led me to patient care.

Last edited:
I just like it. I like biology, I like talking to sick people, I like trying to diagnose things (but obviously at this stage in my education I keep my guesses to myself and tell people to go see a doctor.) It boils down to: out of all the possible jobs in the world where I would have to wake up and do that job every day for the next forty years, it's the only one that I can really envision doing and staying interested in for the long haul.

It was a condition to marry my wife (almost true)

Basically it matches well with a lot of things I want and need in a career.

Cause I wanna be the very best... Like no one ever was

Came from a home without health insurance before the ACA. Couldn't qualify for Medicaid until ACA came out. Even then, I and had doctors straight up tell me that even though a procedure was indicated, they wouldn't do it because they'd be taking a monetary loss on it because of my garbage insurance. Basically I believe the public needs better practitioners than that.

... Plus patients and biochem are both pretty darn cool

- it's a job that will allow me to be a life long learner in a field that I find fascinating.
- personal fulfillment and a sense of higher purpose - I've never been a religious person, but I often feel as I continue down this path that I'm on the right one. Things just keep working out for me (along with hard work).
- money and job security. Gotta be realistic.
- a sense of pride, of sorts? even if not all of my patients like me, the ability to even help one person out is meaningful to me.
- not being at a desk and computer all day is also pretty motivating.
- i read once that medicine is the combination of humanity and science, and that is incredibly appealing to me. I love science, but I want to actively make the world a better place for my fellow humans.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
On the list of careers in which Id make enough money to justify what my parents spent on my education, medicine is the one I think I'd like most.

I know tons of people who were successful out of college and got crazy "good" jobs working in law, finance, etc, but they're all miserable and hate every minute of their 80 hour work weeks.

I'd rather make a little less than them but not hate every minute of my career for the foreseeable future.

It was the perfect combination of my love for biology and social justice.

Reactions: 8 users
I really enjoy taking care of people.

i thought it was because you like aldol reactions in biochemistry

I like aldol reactions because momma also said to study chemistry and I did. But in all seriousness, I don't like aldol reactions in biochemistry because they're mainly boring reactions. I like aldol reactions because of the power they have in synthetic organic chemistry. Give me a carbonyl and I can synthesize any molecule you want - I really believe that carbonyls are the most power group in synthesis.

Idk...just cuz I can...:p

I feel like this is the true reason for a lot of people. Not anybody can become a doctor (just like not everybody can be an engineer, or a paramedic, or an artist). Those that know that they can do it are the ones that will end up succeeding.

Source:

It's one of the few jobs that you would actually be satisfied doing. I didn't want a career where I would have to wake up everyday and be annoyed that I have to go to work, or if I was at work, I didn't want to always be counting down until it is time to go home. It will probably happen in medicine too, because of the long hours, but at least I will be enjoying myself. I can't imagine doing a 9-5 job crunching numbers for the rest of my life. Along with that, I'm fascinated by how our body functions and science in general, which is also why I'm interested in research.

Why am I doing it now? It's awesome to be able to work with people, teach them about what they're going through, help them with their problem, and see them get better. I really enjoy the interpersonal aspect of it. One of my patients brought in a cake to thank me for taking care of him. That was pretty awesome.

Why did I start out wanting to do it? The field is interesting, it represented an engaging challenge, you'll never be out of a job barring disaster, and you won't be impoverished barring disaster. These are all still applicable.

Without constant evaluations and scores, how else would I be able to keep track of my self-worth..?

Reactions: 7 users
I feel like this is the true reason for a lot of people. Not anybody can become a doctor (just like not everybody can be an engineer, or a paramedic, or an artist). Those that know that they can do it are the ones that will end up succeeding.

When I was in high school, not sure what I wanted to do with my life, I was sick and laid out on the couch for a while. Had the flu or something. There was a week-long MASH marathon on. I remember saying to myself, "Oh, a doctor. I could do that."

and then I did. the end.

Reactions: 5 users
please please please don't do it for money or prestige

bad plan

I hate this line of thinking, and I hate that so many other people liked it. You can do ANY other job for money, or prestige or because you like the uniform, or because it gets chicks (or dudes)--so why not medicine?

I hate this line of thinking, and I hate that so many other people liked it. You can do ANY other job for money, or prestige or because you like the uniform, or because it gets chicks (or dudes)--so why not medicine?

Say you're in college and you want to make money. You could try to get a good job out of college, or you could go to med school. Med school is 4 years of making significant negative dollars, which will gain interest over time until paid off. You will go on to residency where you will not make enough money to significantly pay your combined college and med school loans, on which interest will continue to accrue. Residency can be a long damn time depending on what we do, fellowship moreso depending on goal. There's a lot of very specialized BS to deal with over that time that would be uniquely frustrating if the only reason you're doing it is for a paycheck you'll start to get in 5 years.

I have my own reason for dissuading people thinking about medicine for the prestige; that kind of person would probably have a higher risk of being a self-important ass I wouldn't want as a colleague.

Interesting career, you get to see and do a lot of stuff that other's wont have the opportunity to do, stable career with wages to comfortably support a family, etc. etc.

And of course the cliches of wanting to help others and an interest in science

In all seriousness, personal sense of fulfillment from the work done, impact on society, financial stability and job security, prestige are the factors behind my decision in that order. Of course, my number one reason is that I put the matter to prayer and felt God was calling me into this area of work through the doors that were opened in my life.

Also:
I did as well

Source:

Hahaha I was kidding! But you are right!

- not being at a desk and computer all day is also pretty motivating.

You may be in for a nasty surprise. Find an intern/resident and ask them to estimate what % of their time is spent in front of a computer. It gets better as an attending, but really only if you are in a teaching position and you have residents to do it all for you (or possibly if you do surgery).

Anyways, simply put, it's the only thing I can see myself being satisfied with for 30+ years. Helping sick people get better is an excellent motivator, and the amount of medical knowledge you apply every day is staggering. I never want to be bored, and this kind of science is the kind I'm good at.

I set my mind on being a doctor back in high school, but it wasn't until after I was actually exposed to the science and practice of Medicne and healthcare in general that I sort of grew into knowing that Medicine is what I want to do.

I enjoy science and science communication, so I am naturally drawn towards tutoring, which I did a lot of in UG. I see doctors as being rather like tutors in that they master a subject and help patients and family navigate a problem. They effectively communicate science.

I feel at my best when I'm directly benefiting other people and solving problems. Otherwise, I just feel kind of useless and bored. I think I'll draw a lot of satisfaction out of this career.

The decision is also pragmatic in the sense that healthcare workers have great job security and income. I know that I'll be able to do the things that I and my family want, and that my family will almost certainly have everything it will need.

I came to these conclusions and to this point through years of steady, careful thought and effort. I didn't consult my imaginary friend but instead my own conscience, my family and those close to me and I'm happy with the results, thus far.

My alarm and the fact that I've already tried another career and like this one better (still in training though)

I agree for the most part but I'll say it does depend on what type of engineering you're doing. I worked in oil and processing engineering and eventually got bored. But if I was better at coding (and didn't like biomedical research as much) and could work for Google or Amazon, I'm not sure how my life would have turned out.
Plenty of my buddies work for all the tech giants--they're all equally bored. The only time tech is fun and interesting is when you're doing your own start up, but that has its obvious downsides.

“Mbuto.”

My African driver springs to his feet.

“Yes, Sahib.”

“Pass me another baby, I think this one has died.” I lay the dead infant in the pile by my feet. What I’d really like him to do is pass me an ice-cold bottle of the local beer. Compassion is hot, thirsty work. There is no ice in this wretched refugee camp, mores the pity, but as I’m here to help I will suffer in silence. I stare into the eyes of the African baby who is suffering from HIV or dengue fever or something gross and look out into the hot, dusty savannah and ask, “Why? Why gender-neutral and non-judgmental Deity (or Deities) does this have to happen?”

“And Why, Mbuto, is the air-conditioning on my Land Rover broken again?”

“One thousand pardons, Sahib, but the parts have not arrived.”

I will suffer. I have lived a life of privilege and my suffering serves to link me to the suffering of mankind. I roll the window down. God it’s hot. How can people live here? Why don’t they move where it’s cool? Still, I see by the vacant stare from the walking skeletons who insist on blocking the road that they appreciate my compassion and I know that in a small way, I am making a difference in their lives.

Africa. Oh wretched continent! How long must you suffer? How long will you provide the venue to compensate for a low MCAT score? How many must die before I am accepted to a top-tier medical school?

When did I first discover that I, myself, desired to be a doctor? Some come to the decision late in life, often not until the age of five. The non-traditional applicants might not know until they are seven or even, as hard as it is to believe, until the end of ninth grade. I came, myself, to the realization that I, myself, wanted to be a doctor on the way through the birth canal when I realized that my large head was causing a partial third degree vaginal laceration. I quickly threw a couple of sutures into the fascia between contractions so strong was my desire to help people.

My dedication to service was just beginning. At five I was counseling the first-graders on their reproductive options. By twelve I was volunteering at a suicide crisis center/free needle exchange hot-line for troubled transgendered teens. I’ll never forget Jose, a young Hispanic male with HIV who had just been kicked out of his casa by his conservative Catholic parents. He had turned to black tar heroin as his only solace and he was literally at the end of his rope when he called.

“How about a condom, Hose,” I asked. The J, as you know, is pronounced like an H in Spanish.

Annoying silence on the line. Hesus, I was there to help him.

“Condoms will solve all of your problems,” I continued, “In fact, in a paper of which I was listed as the fourth author, we found that condoms prevent all kinds of diseases including HIV which I have a suspicion is the root of your depression.”

More silence. No one had ever had such a rapport with him. He was speechless and grateful and I took his sobs as evidence of my compassion.

“Hey, it was double-blinded and placebo controlled, vato.” Cultural competence is important and I value my diverse upbringing which has exposed me to peoples of many different ethnicities. I always say “What up, Homes?” to the nice young negroes who assemble my Big Mac and I think they accept me as a soul brother.

“We also have needles, amigo. Clean needles would prevent HIV too.”

My desire to be a physician has mirrored my desire to actualize my potential to serve humanity in many capacities. This may be something unheard of from medical school applicant but I have a strong desire to help people. I manifest this desire by my dedication to obtaining all kinds of exposure to all different kinds of people but mostly those from underserved and underprivileged populations. In fact, during a stint in a Doctors Without Borders spin-off chapter I learned the true meaning of underserved while staffing a mall health care pavilion in La Jolla, California.

Most of my friends are black or latino and I am a “Junior Cousin” of the Nation of Islam where I teach infidel abasement techniques to the Mohammed (PBUHN) Scouts. I also am active in the fight for women’s reproductive rights except of course for women in Afghanistan who were better off before our current racist war.

As Maya Angelou once said, “All men (and womyn) are prepared to accomplish the incredible if their ideals are threatened.” I feel this embodies my philosophy best because the prospect of grad school is too horrible to contemplate.

Reactions: 11 users

edit: power, boats
Wasn't there a discussion on how doctors have no power though? At the end of the day, modern medicine has doctors act like cogs in the wheel thanks to profit driven business administrators

Sent from my SM-G920V using SDN mobile

But you can't talk about financial stability in an interview or it's a death sentence. So fake.

For me, I grew up on the other end of the field - a patient. As a kid I was really sick. Spent a lot time in Children's hospitals etc. When I got a little older, and was able to understand what my doctors were actually saying, I was fascinated by the scientific aspect of medicine and its relation to patient care. I've known for a long time that this is what I wanted to do. I still remember being 6 years old watching "Trauma: Life in the ER" on Discovery Health Channel. I was so fascinated by everything and the fact that there's a point in the medical field everyday, where the only thing between a patient and the grave is the physician. I think that is really powerful.

Having been a patient myself, I understand the struggles and fears. Being in the hospital is traumatic for a child. It really gives you a new perspective of compassion and empathy. I wouldn't trade those experiences for anything. It's made me the person I am today and led me to this wonderful career path.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Just because my dad's (probably) going to die of some bull**** doesn't mean other people's dads have to go the same way.

Just because a few of my friends from middle school died of some bull**** doesn't mean other parents have to bury their children.

To the best of my abilities and capability, I would like to put my all into a fulfilling career of hard work (aka misery) so that I can stop other people from being miserable.
Not even trying to do posturing, I just think that I'm never going to ever be that happy so might as well suffer myself so that someone else can be.

To the best of my abilities and capability, I would like to put my all into a fulfilling career of hard work (aka misery) so that I can stop other people from being miserable.
Not even trying to do posturing, I just think that I'm never going to ever be that happy so might as well suffer myself so that someone else can be.

Hm...while its noble and I understand what you're saying, its probably best not to speak along those lines as far as medical admissions goes. You're basically telling them you expect to be unhappy/miserable as a doctor.

I sort of feel the same way though TBH. Do people really think doctors/medical students LOVE running on no sleep and being exhausted, making endless sacrifices? Im sure that most of them don't enjoy those things.

Last edited:
You may be in for a nasty surprise. Find an intern/resident and ask them to estimate what % of their time is spent in front of a computer. It gets better as an attending, but really only if you are in a teaching position and you have residents to do it all for you (or possibly if you do surgery).

That's fair. But I'd rather be doing charts and everything else that modern medicine entails than computer programming or doing sales support. My mom works in sales support and she is tied to her computer and does most of her work over the computer or over the phone and there isn't much personal contact. I like the idea of patients, even with all the charting that's involved.