When applying out of state..?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xuzoo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm from CA. If I interview at a school out of state and they bring up the location problem, should I just be honest about the fact that I would prefer staying in California or just make up a story and lie to them about it to attempt to make them like me more? (PS: I hella suck at lying)

Members don't see this ad.

They know the truth, which is "Everyone applies to as many schools as they can to increase the chances of acceptance and ultimately choose the closest to home and cheapest program". There could be exclusions, of course.
You still need to be able to say why you chose their school and it should not be price or location. It is similar to "Why you want to be a dentist" question. We all know it is "Money, girls and power", but say, that we want to help people. Both are true, just not exclusively.
Practice your answers and make sure you believe in them. This way whatever you say would be believable. After all it is not really a lie, just another view at the subject

Reactions: 1 users
They know the truth, which is "Everyone applies to as many schools as they can to increase the chances of acceptance and ultimately choose the closest to home and cheapest program". There could be exclusions, of course.
You still need to be able to say why you chose their school and it should not be price or location. It is similar to "Why you want to be a dentist" question. We all know it is "Money, girls and power", but say, that we want to help people. Both are true, just not exclusively.
Practice your answers and make sure you believe in them. This way whatever you say would be believable. After all it is not really a lie, just another view at the subject

:rofl::rofl: of every profession I could think of that would help me get a girl, dentist would be the absolute last.

"Say girl, you like looking at bombed out molars also?"

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
:rofl::rofl: of every profession I could think of that would help me get a girl, dentist would be the absolute last.

"Say girl, you like looking at bombed out molars also?"
I can think of several other medical specialties that are worse.

Hey girl, do you like looking at the feet of strangers? No? Well you must love the ears, nose, and throat eh?

Know why they call me the ass man? I'm a proctologist ;)

Etc

Reactions: 1 users
I can think of several other medical specialties that are worse.

Hey girl, do you like looking at the feet of strangers? No? Well you must love the ears, nose, and throat eh?

Know why they call me the ass man? I'm a proctologist ;)

Etc
That last one is pure gold. That would work on me haha

OP, I'm assuming you're interviewing there because for some reason you do like the school. Just give them that reason. I wouldn't flat out say "I'd rather not go here" or they'll probably reject you for someone who wants to be there.

Reactions: 1 user
Are out of state public schools looking for you to say you want to practice in their state after you graduate? Or are they inviting you so that you will leave their state to go back to your home town after you graduate preventing over saturation?

lol I am not even applying in-state; the fact that you're applying OOS indicates that you would be willing to move out of CA to matriculate, so don't even worry about it!