When are LOR's sent?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soby10

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When are LOR's sent out? I'll be applying this cycle but currently I have only one LOR from a science prof. I still need a DO and another science prof. I should have the DO letter by next month. The problem is I was planning on taking a class in the summer with a prof who I believe will write a good LOR for me, but the class would be over early August. Is that too late? I'm probably going to start my primary application in June.

Members don't see this ad.

I would encourage you to submit your application in June. The application opens at the end of April so start working on it as soon as possible and then submit in early June. Most programs are on rolling admission so those that submit early tend to receive interview invitations first. After finishing your primary (AACOMAS or AMCAS) then start working on LORs if you don't have them or need more time to prepare these or need to set up meetings with those that are your LORs. On the good prof letter, ask yourself if there are others available that could write good letters for you now and then have the "good letter" as one to update and/or request later, just my .02.

With secondaries... I took a bio class this summer mostly to get a letter and it worked out for me, class ended in August too. Just make sure that your letter writer is on top of it.. or that your on top of your letter writer.