When are you suppose to apply to Podiatry School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Future DDS RH

Future DPM
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Am i suppose to apply a year in advance like medical or dental school or is it the spring semester before you will transfer?

Members don't see this ad.

Same as any other. If you want to start Fall 2017, then your application cycle will span from August 2016 through June 2017.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was accepted. I'll be starting at Temple this August. So if you have questions about the application/interview/acceptance process then I can probably help. If you have questions about anything else I might be able to help or at least point you in the right direction.

Reactions: 1 user
We do rolling admissions so apply as soon as the application opens up for your best chance of success. Like he said above is you want to start Fall 2017 then you can apply as early as August 2016

Ok so I will be transferring to a 4 year university in the fall with a junior standing. So would I apply next august 2017? Also my course load isn't that heavy will that matter when i apply? like 1- 2 science classes per semester.
example Semester
Fall 2016
Ochem - 5
intro to research - 4
kinesiology - 3

Can i be admitted even if i haven't taken the MCAT but i plan to take it?
What kind of MCAT is the average POD student getting?
my cGPA is 3.89
my sGPA is 3.0

Classes taken for prerequistes
Chem 1A - A
Chem 1B - B
Bio 1 -A
Bio 2 -B
physics 1 - B
physics 2 - B
Ochem 1 - will do fall 2016
Ochem 2 - will do spring 2017

Ok so I will be transferring to a 4 year university in the fall with a junior standing. So would I apply next august 2017? Also my course load isn't that heavy will that matter when i apply? like 1- 2 science classes per semester.
example Semester
Fall 2016
Ochem - 5
intro to research - 4
kinesiology - 3

my cGPA is 3.89
my sGPA is 3.0

Chem 1A - A
Chem 1B - B
Bio 1 -A
Bio 2 -B
physics 1 - B
physics 2 - B

Take your MCAT first. Worry about getting admitted later.

You will need Ochem 1+2 as well as sociology/psych for the MCAT.

Get a solid 500+ and you'll be fine. Especially when you have a high cGPA and decent sGPA.

Look on thread that says "2020 acceptances" for average GPAs/MCAT scores. Bob has already compiled this. Just look through it instead of jacking a thread.

You need to shadow a pod and get a rec letter. Some might question your reason for switching. Your name kind of gives it away.

example Semester
Fall 2016
Ochem - 5
intro to research - 4
kinesiology - 3

my cGPA is 3.89
my sGPA is 3.0

Chem 1A - A
Chem 1B - B
Bio 1 -A
Bio 2 -B
physics 1 - B
physics 2 - B
You'll be fine. It's okay if your course load is spread out. If you are looking to enter class in the Fall of 2018, then you would apply in August 2017 like you said. I took my MCAT and submitted my application in September, received my scores and sent them in early October, received multiple interviews within the week, and was accepted to a couple of schools at the end of October. It's a relatively quick process if you apply and interview early. Aim for as high as you can on the MCAT and keep your grades up. Looks like you are doing pretty well so far, but certainly put in the extra effort to try for A's in your science classes.

Last edited:
Weirdy
I switched because I did a sim course and shadowed a few dentists and i really wasn't interested. Shadowed a podiatrist and really enjoyed it

It was a course i took at a dental school in CA where you getting to do drilling and filling of model teeth. So i was able to actually use the instruments dentist would use in everyday cavity fillings as well as a few lectures on the anatomy of the mouth

has anyone changed from predent to pre-podiatry?

I was predental. It was a very dark time in my life (sarcasm). I switched to podiatry during my second year of undergrad.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

I was accepted. I'll be starting at Temple this August. So if you have questions about the application/interview/acceptance process then I can probably help. If you have questions about anything else I might be able to help or at least point you in the right direction.

I am currently a rising senior looking to avoid taking a gap year. I am taking my MCAT this August and retaking one class that must be replaced this fall semester. I am looking to apply to Temple, NYCPM and Barry. If I submit applications around January-February, do you think I will have a fair shot at a fall 2017 start? Or is it not worth it at all because most interview spots will have been taken already? Also, for NYCPM the deadline for a January 2018 start is in the fall of 2017 (a bit later) so I was planning to apply for the 4.5 year program as well. Do you think I will have a fair shot?

I am currently a rising senior looking to avoid taking a gap year. I am taking my MCAT this August and retaking one class that must be replaced this fall semester. I am looking to apply to Temple, NYCPM and Barry. If I submit applications around January-February, do you think I will have a fair shot at a fall 2017 start? Or is it not worth it at all because most interview spots will have been taken already? Also, for NYCPM the deadline for a January 2018 start is in the fall of 2017 (a bit later) so I was planning to apply for the 4.5 year program as well. Do you think I will have a fair shot?

Also, if this helps…..

Personally I have:

cGPA=3.34/sGPA=3.3
MCAT= still waiting to get a score (will be taking Aug. 5th 2016, hoping to get at least in the 490s)
ECs= volunteer ambulance corp. as an EMT, DII athlete for 4 years, research internship and undergrad training, shadowed 2 DPM, job of 2 years in retail

January/February is not too late to apply. Many spots will be filled and scholarship money is probably first come first serve but there should still be seats open by that time. Especially if you get in the mid to high 490s on the MCAT you'll be good to go.

As for the NYCPM January start date, that is a 4.5 year program so you would graduate in 2022 with the students who start in Fall of 2018, so you're not necessarily gaining much ground with that approach. If you get in next Fall, which I think you can, then you would graduate in 2017.

Just keep in mind that podiatry is either unknown to most premeds or undesired for whatever reasons. So the applicant pool is small. Seats don't fill up immediately like MD schools. For the pod cycle, it's almost never too late to apply.

Reactions: 1 users