When bulk of decisions made by medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DielsAlder

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering when to expect my mailbox inundated with II's/rejections. I already received a good amount of II's slowly since mid-July as well as a couple of rejections.

Is there a peak time when medical schools submit their II's/rejections? I submitted AMCAS on the first day and had a decent turnaround with secondaries, with the latest being a week and a half after being received.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
darkjedi and xffan624, I noticed on your mdapps profiles that you both submitted your AMCAS early too. Is it common for schools to hold on to applications for later review, so they can interview their first-choice candidates first? Or are applications reviewed at random with the early people more likely to interview first?

My school makes decisions known withing 1-3 weeks, depending upon our interview schedule.

I was wondering when to expect my mailbox inundated with II's/rejections. I already received a good amount of II's slowly since mid-July as well as a couple of rejections.

Is there a peak time when medical schools submit their II's/rejections? I submitted AMCAS on the first day and had a decent turnaround with secondaries, with the latest being a week and a half after being received.

Reactions: 1 user
It's funny to think that it feels like I submitted my AMCAS so long ago, yet this cycle is really just starting :(

It's funny to think that it feels like I submitted my AMCAS so long ago, yet this cycle is really just starting :(
So true. Even though I submitted my AMCAS several weeks after it was opened up.
I wish I know the answer for your question, but it really seems quite sporadic. For me, I've been getting IIs exactly one week apart for the last month.

darkjedi and xffan624, I noticed on your mdapps profiles that you both submitted your AMCAS early too. Is it common for schools to hold on to applications for later review, so they can interview their first-choice candidates first? Or are applications reviewed at random with the early people more likely to interview first?

Yes, and yes.. it's school dependent . I had a lower GPA so that probably didn't make me a first choice candidate for a lot of schools. One of the schools gave me an II almost 7 days after I submitted my secondary. The one that I got accepted in didn't offer me an II until early January (I had been complete there around the same time as the first school). My experience is that's it's a crapshoot. Expect nothing, be happy when you do get something. Applying early is one of the easiest things you can do to help your application so if you did that, then you did your best and let the cards fall where they may.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes, and yes.. it's school dependent . I had a lower GPA so that probably didn't make me a first choice candidate for a lot of schools. One of the schools gave me an II almost 7 days after I submitted my secondary. The one that I got accepted in didn't offer me an II until early January (I had been complete there around the same time as the first school). My experience is that's it's a crapshoot. Expect nothing, be happy when you do get something. Applying early is one of the easiest things you can do to help your application so if you did that, then you did your best and let the cards fall where they may.

Did you send updates?