When can I reasonably start looking for a job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ggidgetzz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a new PGY1. I would think it is too early to start looking for a job post-residency, however, some of my classmates in medical school have already signed contracts to work and are getting paid a stipend and loan allowances. Most of these are in very rural places where they have personal ties.

So, would it be inappropriate for me to start looking around? Would they laugh me out of the room if I contacted them as a PGY1? I wouldn't want that to hurt my future job hunt, if it's a faux-pas. Has anyone had success with this and if so, how did you go about it?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
There's tons of threads on this --- As an intern, you really are just beginning to be able to determine sick vs not sick, emergent vs urgent vs routine so I wouldn't advise committing to anything this early in the game -- you may find something you love and want to do a fellowship but can't because you've been getting paid with an expected start date of such and such; Also realize that hospitals love to use the stipend to have you come work for them in an outpatient clinic -- which morphs into different responsibilities -- if they're writing the check, it's hard to say no -- I don't know that I would start until I was in my 3rd year...maybe by Christmas of the PGY3 -- but YMMV --- relax -- you've got time.....

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Lol ok, gentle tongue lashings aside, I'm now a PGY2 and very casually looking. For 2 years from now, yes. My reasoning is that it might help me decide whether to suck it up and do a geriatrics fellowship if I don't find a really great fit without it...but a lot of me REALLY just wants to get back to work and make a nice living again (I was a PA for 11 years before going back to med school...giving up that income was painful). As for signing contracts and getting locked in, though, I'm really skeptical as I don't want to jump the gun and regret my decision, so I agree with advising the OP not to rush. Intern year is such a whirlwind and pretty soon you'll blink and say "hey what just happened to that year of my life?!"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I would start looking at the start or midway thru PGY3.

I started in December of my PGY3, wish I had started a few months earlier.

Also remember, the majority of doctors do not stay at their first jobs, in fact most leave it within 1-2 years, so it does not need to be the "perfect" fit.

I signed midway through second year and reached out to places starting intern year. I was committed to moving to a smaller town in kentucky to be close to family and knew I wanted outpatient only. Was definitely tough to interview and answer questions about what I was looking for without a lot of experience, but in the end signed with a practice that will pay me a stipend while I finish, it's in the town I want, and all outpatient.

I signed midway through second year and reached out to places starting intern year. I was committed to moving to a smaller town in kentucky to be close to family and knew I wanted outpatient only. Was definitely tough to interview and answer questions about what I was looking for without a lot of experience, but in the end signed with a practice that will pay me a stipend while I finish, it's in the town I want, and all outpatient.
If you know what you want, this is an excellent bargaining tool.

I started July of my 3rd year. I received a contingent offer today. I will accept it next week.

I get contingent offers within days of my interview. Surprised it took you that long. Congrats though as it seems you made the right pick.

To the OP. First focus on your intern year but if you have some free time you can start your research. Look at different states you may be interested in and lifestyle there. Look at the medical insurance company rules and hospital rules for credentialing. Some states have large insurers that dominate the market and it may not be of benefit to go there. So areas pay significantly less than other areas of the country. So focus on those type of things. Learn about employment contracts in the next two years. Ask around from your colleagues who have finished ahead of you about their positions and the organizations where they work. That should give you a ton of insight into employment and how to get the best one for you when your ready to start seriously looking at specific jobs in the 3rd year.