When can we expect to hear about Interviews from Schools???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UtahDDS

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I have a good question for all of you who applied last year and for all of you who know people who have applied in the last few years....

When is the soonest that we could start hearing from schools if we are invited for an interview??? Please list the approximate date you were contacted by the school and which school it was. I hope you understand how anxious some of us first-timers are. :D :D :scared: :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

Case and Indiana I believe before Sept. 1st last year. I would say between Aug 15th and October 1st you will hear from just about every school that wants you if you get all of your stuff in by Aug 1st.

Good times!

Is this not a good question??? bump please... :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard back from most schools pretty early (by October) when I applied (AZ*, Nebraska). Nova was a little slow with things back and forth. They contacted me at the end of November. Baylor had me fill out a secondary app. and I knew my chances were shot when the form read:

Nationality:
US
Foreign
Texan

Iowa didn't want me. If you are from Utah, UtahDDS, I hope you applied to private schools. That is what i found to work the best.

The best advice I could give is to be patient. I didn't get accepted to any schools until early February and I didn't get accepted to my top choice until March. Sometimes you have to suck up a $1500 donation to another school to secure your spot, but just be patient.

ElDienteLoco said:
I heard back from most schools pretty early (by October) when I applied (AZ*, Nebraska). Nova was a little slow with things back and forth. They contacted me at the end of November. Baylor had me fill out a secondary app. and I knew my chances were shot when the form read:

Nationality:
US
Foreign
Texan

Iowa didn't want me. If you are from Utah, UtahDDS, I hope you applied to private schools. That is what i found to work the best.

The best advice I could give is to be patient. I didn't get accepted to any schools until early February and I didn't get accepted to my top choice until March. Sometimes you have to suck up a $1500 donation to another school to secure your spot, but just be patient.
What were your stats, dientito?

3.8 GPA (Science and Overall)
20 DAT
22 PAT
Lots of Service
1 yr. working as a dental assistant
No Bachelor's Degree

Good looks... :cool: ...hey, gotta be honest.

what do you mean donation???

NO, I didn't bribe anyone in Florida... :cool:

To hold your spot in the class after you have been accepted, they usually require a non-refundable holding fee to make sure you are serious about going to their school. It CAN be used towards tuition...if you go there, but I did not. I hope all those people at Nova are enjoying that little chunk of hurricane repair I got to give their school. It's all good. I'm over 100k in debt right now (just starting 2nd year...)

Anyone else wanna respond to the OQ?

It is so hard to tell. Everyones experiences are different. I didn't get any interview offers after October. I got interviews at 7 schools. Went to 4, another one was at my school, was accepted to 3 and waitlisted or denied to 3 or 4 on Dec 1st. I didn't hear anything possitive from any schools after that. Looks like my window of opportunity was early on. I guess I don't have the stats of some people. I also applied in May and took the Dat in July and had everything in including secondaries by the middle of august.

DIRTIE said:
It is so hard to tell. Everyones experiences are different. I didn't get any interview offers after October. I got interviews at 7 schools. Went to 4, another one was at my school, was accepted to 3 and waitlisted or denied to 3 or 4 on Dec 1st. I didn't hear anything possitive from any schools after that. Looks like my window of opportunity was early on. I guess I don't have the stats of some people. I also applied in May and took the Dat in July and had everything in including secondaries by the middle of august.

mind sharing your stats?

ElDienteLoco said:
Baylor had me fill out a secondary app. and I knew my chances were shot when the form read:

Nationality:
US
Foreign
Texan
I'm a PR. I guess I'm considered as a Foreign! I should have their app soon.
I talked to them and was told that numbers like yours were competitive for an out-stater. Could it be because you didn't have a bachelor?

I applied in December, 5 weeks later secondaries started trickling in... did not get interview letters until February!

DIRTIE said:
I would say between Aug 15th and October 1st you will hear from just about every school that wants you if you get all of your stuff in by Aug 1st.

Out of curiosity, I thought that dental schools are not allowed to let applicants know they are being accepted for an interview until December 1st (12/1).

From what I read in the ADEA manual, (for class of 2007) the soonest schools review applications are the June/July 2006 timeframe, and do not notify anyone until 12/1/05?

Is this incorrect? Have people applied to dental schools in the summer, and heard back before December? If so, what kind of contact do the dental schools make? An interview offer? A "we're interested in you" offer?

eng_dent said:
Out of curiosity, I thought that dental schools are not allowed to let applicants know they are being accepted for an interview until December 1st (12/1).

From what I read in the ADEA manual, (for class of 2007) the soonest schools review applications are the June/July 2006 timeframe, and do not notify anyone until 12/1/05?

Is this incorrect? Have people applied to dental schools in the summer, and heard back before December? If so, what kind of contact do the dental schools make? An interview offer? A "we're interested in you" offer?

You are confusing interviews with acceptances and they are two different things. An interview is conducted by an adcom for an applicant with whom the school is interested in and the vast majority of dental schools interview applicants as part of the application process. Interviews are conducted on an invitation only basis and the letter notifying an applicant that a school is interested in them usually goes along the lines of "based on an initial review of your application, letters of recommendation, and personal statement we wish to invite you to interview with us....." Interviews do not guarantee an acceptance, although they can make or break an applicant based on the impression he/she makes on the school.

Acceptances are the result of careful examination of an applicant's file and supporting information as well as the interview. Most schools already have an acceptance list already in place by December 1st so that they can send out the acceptance letters right on that date. Applicants can not be notified of an acceptance prior to December 1st.

Sprgrover said:
You are confusing interviews with acceptances and they are two different things. An interview is conducted by an adcom for an applicant with whom the school is interested in and the vast majority of dental schools interview applicants as part of the application process. Interviews are conducted on an invitation only basis and the letter notifying an applicant that a school is interested in them usually goes along the lines of "based on an initial review of your application, letters of recommendation, and personal statement we wish to invite you to interview with us....." Interviews do not guarantee an acceptance, although they can make or break an applicant based on the impression he/she makes on the school.

Acceptances are the result of careful examination of an applicant's file and supporting information as well as the interview. Most schools already have an acceptance list already in place by December 1st so that they can send out the acceptance letters right on that date. Applicants can not be notified of an acceptance prior to December 1st.

Understood. Thanks for clearing that up.

So to summarize as how I understand it, dental schools can interview at any time upon reviewing the application, however they cannot notify the applicants of their acceptance until at least December 1st?

If I've missed the boat again, please let me know. Also, out of curiosity, when did folks submit their application and receive interviews from the schools? Just curious.

UtahDDS:

In addition to private schools, make sure that you apply to some state schools in the west and then apply to WICHE. It is very worth it to investigate this and apply becasue it will save you $100,000 in school. Plus the deadline is in like october, and i think it is first come first serve.

Click here for more info

eng_dent said:
Also, out of curiosity, when did folks submit their application and receive interviews from the schools? Just curious.
That part depends on how qualified you are for the particular school. If you have what they look for, I'd say 2 months at most. Otherwise, it could be an endless wait!