When contacting professors...how early is too early?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wootar

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
After not getting any offers this year, I'm really trying to get ahead on the whole process for the next application season (It'll be here before we know it!). I've started to just peruse various schools/programs again, and am wondering when the best time is to start contacting individual professors? I was thinking possibly June, but don't want to come off as too eager/annoying/etc. I just would like to have a decently solid plan in place by the end of July if possible.

So, just thought I'd see if anyone knew what proper etiquette would be in this situation? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last year I started contacting professors early in April/May/June

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard different things from different professors. In the past when I've contacted in the Spring I was told to reach out again at the end of the summer, but I know some students who have done that and have been welcomed into lab meetings as the school year was still going on. Personally I think right after the school year is over (late May or June depending on the university) is the best time as before then they may be busy with other academic responsibilities but hopefully won't be gone for the summer yet.

Reactions: 1 user
Some will not know until the end of the summer, depending on funding schedules and the like. I agree though, I don't think June is too early for a quick prelim email seeing if they are at least considering taking students.

Reactions: 1 users
I have the same question but for asking profs to write a letter of recommendation for Masters/Phd programs. Is it ok to start asking now or soon? Is there a high chance they say no if I don't know them so well?

I have the same question but for asking profs to write a letter of recommendation for Masters/Phd programs. Is it ok to start asking now or soon? Is there a high chance they say no if I don't know them so well?

Wait until apps open. Most schools have very specific instructions, and most letters will need to be tailored accordingly. I would start sending out feelers now to see who is interested in writing a letter for you.

It'll really depend on the person. Some might say they aren't comfortable given that they don't know you well, whereas others will be ok with it. The main danger to you is that they will then write an exceedingly generic letter (understandably, given the lack of familiarity). And generic letters generally won't do much to help your application.

And I agree with briarcliff to hold off on actually requesting the letters until apps are open and you have a better idea of the schools to which you'll be applying. Although (again like briarcliff mentioned) sending out "feelers" to see who might be interested is probably ok at this point.

I asked mine as soon as the quarter ended. When it's fresh in their mind who I am and the grade I got.

In addition to what's been said, I would add to be really mindful of what professors you're asking and why. I only asked professors I felt knew me well enough to write a decent letter. If there's profs you've taken multiple classes and/or worked on research with that's probably your best bet. If you ask someone who doesn't know you that well it's likely to hurt more than help. Plus once you know what professors/programs you're trying to work with the people writing letters can speak to your relevant strengths - I applied to doctoral programs that heavily emphasized psychoeducational assessment and neuropsychology, for example, and my profs were able to write letters that reflected my strength and interest in those areas. In one instance my SOP was lost (for whatever reason I wasn't told until after applications closed) but I still got an interview because all my letters of rec reflected how I would be a good fit for my POI.

I asked 3 PIs I worked most closely for - My UG thesis advisor, my first full time research gig (as an UG), and my full time neuro-research job post bacc. I didn't have any professors who actually taught me write my letters (unless you count the 6 hours of thesis credit I got). I feel like one of my letters might have been on the generic side, because the PI was under a lot of stress when I asked him, and it had been a couple years since I had last worked in his lab. It didn't end up preventing me from getting into a solid program though - My other two letters were both above average IMO.

Last edited:
Glad to hear that reaching out now/soon wouldn't be completely ridiculous! I'm thinking of sending one out to a professor at my local/undergrad university pretty soon since he might be willing to meet and just have some good perspective on my application in general. Otherwise, I'm thinking I'll definitely start with other professors by mid-June at the latest.

It'll really depend on the person. Some might say they aren't comfortable given that they don't know you well, whereas others will be ok with it. The main danger to you is that they will then write an exceedingly generic letter (understandably, given the lack of familiarity). And generic letters generally won't do much to help your application.

And I agree with briarcliff to hold off on actually requesting the letters until apps are open and you have a better idea of the schools to which you'll be applying. Although (again like briarcliff mentioned) sending out "feelers" to see who might be interested is probably ok at this point.

This might be a dumb question..but would it be ok to include a letter that is not from Psych as well?
There is one prof especially that knows me really well but it was my English prof. I think she would write a great letter.

Worth noting that in one of my interview invites, a POI (who I reached out to in May) said that they were impressed that I had contacted them so early.

This might be a dumb question..but would it be ok to include a letter that is not from Psych as well?
There is one prof especially that knows me really well but it was my English prof. I think she would write a great letter.

So long as the other two letters are from psychologists/psych professors, you should be fine. My third letter, both years that I applied, was from two different English professors.

I'd wait until the fall. As many have already said, it will be difficult if not impossible for many faculty to know if they are accepting students in the spring/summer. Also, your name may have a better chance of being remembered come application review time, if your contact with profs was in the fall in lieu of spring/summer. Lastly, new (and transferring) faculty members probably won't even be listed on departmental websites until the fall.