When did 'gunner' become the default term for...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GlowInTheDark

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
...anyone who studies or attempts to further their career in a responsible and socially acceptable way?

Kids these days. Don't know what a real gunner looks like.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
...anyone who studies or attempts to further their career in a responsible and socially acceptable way?

Kids these days. Don't know what a real gunner looks like.

Insecure people who see others excel them academically will find reasons to hate or justify their criticism

Don't worry about what others say. I don't know too many students that matched into competitive residencies that use the term "gunner" lightly. If used it should indicate someone who is actively hostile towards others. I agree with above.

Members don't see this ad :)
gun or be gunned--that's my motto.

Reactions: 11 users
Thats why people like me drive Lotus's

Your apostrophe missed the mark by 26 letters!

There was a discussion about this on the allo thread too. A lot of it likely has to do with insecurities. A true gunner is someone who "guns down" their competition. Sabotages them in order to get (or appear) ahead.

Gunners are generally, almost by definition, NOT the people performing at the top of the class. It's the middle to below-average students who are usually guilty of this kind of behavior.

Reactions: 2 users
Your apostrophe missed the mark by 26 letters!

There was a discussion about this on the allo thread too. A lot of it likely has to do with insecurities. A true gunner is someone who "guns down" their competition. Sabotages them in order to get (or appear) ahead.

Gunners are generally, almost by definition, NOT the people performing at the top of the class. It's the middle to below-average students who are usually guilty of this kind of behavior.

Gunner misinformation right here. That's what he wants me to think, but it is not what the test wants.

I think the most "gunner" behavior I see, rather widely I might add, is an asymmetry in resources. Competitive, insecure people will go to extreme lengths to conceal learning resources that provide them with a competitive advantage. A lot of people engage in this behavior, even the supposedly well adjusted people.

Example: In our class, for the longest time, a group of students had obtained some substantially useful second year resources. Think study guides that cut the BS and gave substantial clues to what was "high yield" testable material. It took another 1-2 weeks before that same material finally made it into the hands of a truly well-adjusted person who then promptly shared it with the rest of the class.

Insecure people hide resources, refuse to teach, etc.

Gunners would actually go on this forum and post misinformation about what being a gunner actually means. That way they could go on gunning undetected.

Getting inside the psyche of a gunner is very difficult. You try to figure them out and it turns out --that's what they wanted you to do. You fall right into their trap. Its like a combination of inception and oceans eleven with a little bit of Die Hard 2 sprinkled in

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
A gunner explains to his or her classmates that the coracoid process is on the ulna and the coronoid process is on the scapula.

Honest questions:

If you ask someone for information and he or she doesnt tell you then does that make him a gunner?

At which point does it become over-obligation?

I think that's gunner behavior. I had a classmate who would purposely tell people incorrect material. Total psycho. They ended up matching general surgery.

I think that's gunner behavior. I had a classmate who would purposely tell people incorrect material. Total psycho. They ended up matching general surgery.
Yeah I would agree if someone is told incorrect information that is bad and malicious. But, I dont mean someone who asks for information and is told wrong information, rather someone who asks for information and is either told "I dont know," or "no."

I guess what I'm saying is, if I intentionally don't learn the material and ask for you to teach it to me rather than try learn it on my own first, how does that differ from other definitions of gunner? At which point does it become over-obligation?

Yeah I would agree if someone is told incorrect information that is bad and malicious. But, I dont mean someone who asks for information and is told wrong information, rather someone who asks for information and is either told "I dont know," or "no."

I guess what I'm saying is, if I intentionally don't learn the material and ask for you to teach it to me rather than try learn it on my own first, how does that differ from other definitions of gunner? At which point does it become over-obligation?

I answer "I don't know" to questions frequently. Not because I'm being standoffish or trying to hurt someone's learning...but because I just don't know. Then again, I would pre-face questions, joking that "Dude, I'm not the best person to ask, but I'll try I guess."

To answer some of the questions above: you're not a bad ass, in my opinion, unless you're willing to divulge your methods relatively freely. A supremely confident student wouldn't care if the tides rise with their assistance.

Saying "I don't know" is a perfectly fine answer. I much appreciate this to someone who pulls some BS answer about a subject they really don't understand. Is it appropriate for you to be the "go to" guy/gal for every struggling student? Of course not. That would be too much of a burden. Just don't be a dick when someone asks for clarification and it's only going to take a few seconds out of of your day to answer the question.

This thread is awesome. I always get hated on by other med students for doing UWorld questions or case files while they sit around trying to look like they love just sitting there waiting for the resident to give them something else to do.

This thread is awesome. I always get hated on by other med students for doing UWorld questions or case files while they sit around trying to look like they love just sitting there waiting for the resident to give them something else to do.

Do they say something to you?