When did you take your first AAMC FL?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheAnonymous

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have seen some comments here and there but I was hoping if you guys can share how long before your scheduled MCAT you took your first AAMC test ?

I have 2 months left and my plan was to spend 2 weeks to do some passages and then take AAMC 3, so that would be 1.5 month before my MCAT. Is that a good idea? Or should I take an AAMC right now or should I do passages for one month (haven't done a lot of passages up to now) and take AAMC 3 exactly one month before the test?

So when did you guys take yours ?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm taking my mcat may 8th and will be taking aamc number 4 April 1. Took aamc 3 a long time ago. Idk if that is too late but whatever, too late to change anything at this point

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
I'm taking my mcat may 8th and will be taking aamc number 4 April 1. Took aamc 3 a long time ago. Idk if that is too late but whatever, too late to change anything at this point

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you taken any other FLs int he meantime?

I took the MCAT in January and I think I took AAMC 3 close to the beginning of my prep, about 3 months before the actual test. That might just have been me being neurotic about trying to be ready as early as possible, but I'd say the sooner you start doing full length practice tests, the better.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took the MCAT in January and I think I took AAMC 3 close to the beginning of my prep, about 3 months before the actual test. That might just have been me being neurotic about trying to be ready as early as possible, but I'd say the sooner you start doing full length practice tests, the better.

My plan was to take around 4 Kaplan FL before AAMC 3 .. but maybe I should distribute my kaplan FL between the AAMCs rather than taking them all before AAMC?

My plan was to take around 4 Kaplan FL before AAMC 3 .. but maybe I should distribute my kaplan FL between the AAMCs rather than taking them all before AAMC?

That's what I did. I took all 8 AAMC FLs along with about 7 Kaplan ones and I tried to alternate between the two, ending with AAMC 10 and 11 the week of the actual test.

nice !!

Last question, how would you say your Kaplan VR score in the FL (scaled score) were compared to AAMC FLs?

My average verbal score on all of my practice tests was around a 9, ranging from an 8 to an 11. I don't think I was doing better or worse on either Kaplan or the AAMC FLs in terms of verbal, though.

My suggestion would be to take them far enough in advance, that you can leverage the results to help you identify weak areas and improve your score, at the same time, you don't want to waste them too early on, because then you won't have qualities materials to practice on right up before your test.

My suggestion would be to take them far enough in advance, that you can leverage the results to help you identify weak areas and improve your score, at the same time, you don't want to waste them too early on, because then you won't have qualities materials to practice on right up before your test.

Would taking the first one a month before the test and then doing two per week while hammering out the weak spots in between be suggested?

I wouldn't recommend starting them unless you have finished content review. I would save them for the month before, maybe do 2 a week. Save 10 and 11 for the week/a few days before the real thing.

Reactions: 1 users